USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 67-69 by Hank - FINISHED - Trumpeter - 1:200 - PLASTIC

Well, the upper conning tower is complete - with the exception of the (2) 35' Whip Antenna that will be added at a later time to the angled bracket at the 011 Level. While the ULQ-6 ECM framework, etc. is not perfect, it will have to suffice until I can re-design a CAD file for making a PE brass sheet of uniform parts that will replace the current ones. This would be in order to make the framework more consistant in width, etc.

post-143-0-75716800-1399543548_thumb.jpg

Next construction will be the 08 Level Open Conn. Station and adjoinning lower conning tower/fwd. stack.

Hank

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

That is inspiring Hank! I still don't see the inconsistencies you're talking about. Absolutely outstanding work!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Patrick, David:

Thanks so much! Well, I guess it's more a personal knowledge than what others can see.

Hank

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Hank........this is detail you won't find in any kit..........it's amazing!   I'm still in awe of your method........it all looks so seamless :)   really great job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

seamless....hmmmm :huh:....NOT!!!!!!

But thanks for the kind sentiments. And yet the more detail you add, the more details you find that you missed! It's a vicious circle!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

I am a little late getting to the show but this looks like a great build and your work so far is outstanding.  I will be following along and your personal accounts and service on board this ship I think only make this log even better. Thanks for your service and this great log! 

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

Mark,

Well, I certainly appreciate the nice remarks and I'm glad you're following the build. Never a dull moment!!!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

• 2 months later...

Well, after some time since my last update, I have a couple photos of the current status of the superstructure and After Air Defense Stations to show the progress I'm slowly making on the model. Once again, the assemblies are simply put in place, nothing permanent at this point:

post-143-0-75229300-1406818759_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-02650600-1406818786_thumb.jpg

Comment - Some of you more astute battleship nuts may notice the modification to the After Air Defense Station Tub - the bumpout on the side was unique to NEW JERSEY, added during her 1967-68 refit. I'm currently working on the two Target Designators which will be loc'd on either side of the MK. 37 director base inside the tub. I have two of those TD's also loc'd on the 08 Level Conn Station and they are just barely visible in the lower photo. These are not the Mk. 1 TD's that were used on the IOWA's from WWII - Korea.

I've started tryiing to make resin radar dishes for the Mk. 25 and Mk. 35 radars that are associated with the Mk. 37/Mk. 56 F.C. Directors - this (resin molds/casting) is something new to me and will be a learning curve, for sure! The Mk. 56 directors will also be scratch built (possibly molded, don't know at this point).

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

David,

Thanks - I just wish I still had 20-20 acuity with hand/eye coordination - bifocals can be good and bad - esp. when trying to do modeling details. And I do have one of those visor-noculators (my word :P) - such is life!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Jason,

Thanks much, I really appreciate the comments! How's yours coming along?

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

NOTE RE. Resin Mold for Mk. 35/Mk. 25 FC Radar Dishes:

When I left my workshop Thurs. morning the molds had been poured Wed. night and still had not set up properly - this is the two part Micro-Mark Fast Cure Resin CR 301. I guess I didn't mix it 100% evenly or did not properly mix the A&B parts - it could be some of both - I'm hoping (Yea, right!!) that it has turned hard, white, and set when I return Sun. p.m. BUT - I'm not expecting it to be.

If not, after cleaning the Delrin mold, I will remix using the drop by drop method to ensure equality of A/B and mix as thoroughly as possible (it's clear - how can you tell??? :o). Other than that, I don't know what to do. My secondary mold, a scrap piece of wood drilled like the Delrin, is probably useless at this point.

Another modeler in Alaska has sent me the molds for my life raft packs (I did the masters and sent them to him to make molds). They will be molded from the same resin, so the dishes are really the test bed for learning this process. Too bad that Part A & B aren't the kind of solution that turns a color when mixed - that would really let you know quickly if you've done it right.

So, anyhow, resin molding 101 is in session...

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

• 1 month later...

Well, about time for a photo update -

I've been working on the After Air Defense Station/FC Director & Base/After Main Battery Tower & after stack, as well as a few other areas forward over the last couple months. The following photos show the progress:

post-143-0-05162100-1412159077_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-51167200-1412159088_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-09272500-1412159098_thumb.jpg

Once again, nothing is cemented at this time with the exception of the 03 Level after superstructure - everything on it up to the after stack is now in place.

As of last night I have begun demo work on the center 40mm amidships gun tub as prep to modify the entire 6 tubs into the Zuni Chaff Launchers (4) and Mk. 56 FC director platforms - this will require quite a bit of scratchbuilding.

I've recently purchased the Eduard PE Hull (Gusset) Plates and Rails sets and will decide later whether to use the Pontos or Equard railings on the model. Both are very well etched and very similar. I'm leaning at this point towards the Equard set but either could be used without any real noticeable difference.

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Hank, I agree with your top-down/in-out build sequence--it seems the only way to tackle this bad boy. When i see the way you are working on it, it gives me more confidence. Will you approach rails this same way? I got the Eduard set and am comparing against the Pontos on the same things. Right now, I'm still putting together the Bofors 40's......taking a side tack to build a small viking wooden boat (starter) with my wife, trying to get her into the modeling habit.....I will post my progress soon....this is really looking nice.....the antenna structures are fabulous....

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the kind remarks. Yea, a lot of work into the forward mast assembly, let me tell you - ALL scratchbuilt. As for the rails, I'm going to do them as they come along - level by level. Having the Pontos set as well as the kit supplied PE (as a backup) seems to have most bases covered. Due to the changes in the NEW JERSEY's configuration on my project, I sometimes have to really stop and consider how to make special rails where needed. I haven't made any decisions on the main deck rails yet - as to using the kit supplied (or Pontos) OR using the Eduard Stanchions and very thin dia. brass wire.

I'll be interested to see your efforts.

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Hank:

I have the PE plates from Edouard...were they on the Tokyo Bay version of the Missouri? Guess I have to do some research. How will you be putting them on your hull.....starting bottom up, or waterline down, or what?.....

PE railings intimidate the heck out of me....they always bend, and for some reason I never get quite the right adhesive--either too thin or too thick. Do you paint before or after (or use a primer)....

thanks for letting me pick your brain. I have spend enough $$$ on parts that i could probably just buy the real thing and tow it over to my brothers home in Annapolis. 

Rick

Brian,

Thanks for the nice comments!

Rick,

The gusset plates are part of the hull and should be on all the models, regardless of era, or ship. These were reinforcing plates that were riveted to the exterior of the hull - there are several of us on Model Ship Forum (yea, I know....heard it all before!!!) who are building this kit (various configurations/periods/ships, etc) and have had several threads about these plates. I actually did a CAD drawing of them (both sizes) earlier this year in order to satisfy the need - who knew Eduard was also working on the same thing to be offered as a PE product. I have them printed out on Strathmore bristolboard paper, but will probably use the PE ones on the model. I would recommend you going online to The Floating Drydock and purchasing the USS MISSOURI Plan Book or EPlan Book (CD) - it is almost a necessity if you are going to do this model correctly in any form. Just too much info there to pass it by. I'm not sure if that source has the gussets illustrated or not. Anyhow, I've attached a photo of the plates on IOWA - they're faint, but there.

post-143-0-78218700-1412192937_thumb.jpg

As one of the other modelers pointed out, the instr. sheet from Eduard notes that you need to check the ACTUAL location of the plates prior to mounting them in place. This is where your first establishment point up forward would be good to double check. The instr. also :"sort of" imply that the plates are all equally spaced - I'm not sure that is a correct assumption. the 35.0mm spacing (7/8") from forward edge of upper large gusset to the next plate I am going to somehow verify before proceeding. I'm also thinking of penciling in the outline of each plate and then checking photos to make sure everything is correctly laid out prior to actual placement. So, this can get involved!!!

As for the rails, they would be the last part of my project, so I won't mess with them until needed. Yes, they are very small and hard to handle, must be bent and cemented - I would use a cryo (super) glue for these - maybe a tiny amount on the tip of a toothpick and let it flow into the seam of the folded halves. But, that's for another day...

Hope these tips have helped.

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

nice update Hank........looking sweet!  :)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Popeye, Michael20 -

The name's Hank, not Frank!

Thanks for the comments!

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

can't believe I did that!!!!!!!  sorry Hank........I really gotta cut down with the amount of builds I look at ;)      Payback.......just call me Denise!

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

You will have to forgive Popeye Hank....sometimes he calls me Sue.

Glad I found your very interesting log. Great work..... Now I can go back through it more slowly.

WOW! Went back through your build and thoroughly enjoyed every update and comment from your fans.

Being an old land lubber, I get a little lost with all the naval jargon, but appreciate what it must mean to those of you who actually served on those awesome war vessels.

Pulling up a chair from here out.

Dave

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

• 4 weeks later...

First - thanks to all who have commented recently - I haven't been AWOL, just busy ^_^

So, for a current update - I've been working on the modification of the center 40mm tubs between the stacks and have the basic mods in place. This area is now the Mk. 56 FC Director Platform. As with the rest of the model, it is in place but not adhered at this point. Work to be done on the other 40mm tubs (4) ahead and abaft of this platform. They will become Zuni Rocket Launcher tubs (to be built) and will require minor modifications. As a comparision to the orig. configuration, look at a couple of the photos from earlier posts of this area.

post-143-0-23958800-1415102098_thumb.jpg

I hope to have another photo from the front of the platform later - the one I took last night was out of focus. The Mk. 56 directors are as yet to be built - I need 6 of these, so I am planning on making a master and molding the other 5 - that will be a project in itself. The remaining hole in the decking is for location of the antenna post (each side) to which antenna wires are turnbuckled and attach to the foremast yard.

I'm still doing research on the Zuni Launchers so those are not started yet. Photos that I have access to are not close up and details are sparce.

Len - do you recall the interior of the nav. bridge? I may have asked before - I was thinking it was pea green on the bulkheads, but perhaps simply haze gray. If you've any ideas, let me know.

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

OK, last night I was able to get a shot from the front of the Mk. 56 platform that was IN FOCUS!!!

post-143-0-10625400-1415271399_thumb.jpg

The center bulkheads (fore/aft) are completely scratchbuilt as are the director foundations/bases.

Hank

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

• 1 month later...

Update as of 12-04-14:

I've been working on the 04/05 Navigation Bridge and with the exception of Pelorus's, other small deck items, and whip antennae, it's complete. As usual, these pix show the superstructure together when in reality they are sitting in place only.

I chose the kit bridge over the Pontos PE bridge as it was easier to work with at this point. Had I thought about it, I would have enlarged the window openings slightly in both directions as these are just a tad bit undersized. One of the Volunteers in WISCONSIN (Norfolk) made dimensioned posts regarding this earlier in the year. However, with a family situation finally coming to a close, my thoughts have sometimes been elsewhere...

In any event, I have been critiqued by another battleship acquaintance who is associated now with IOWA (LA Ports) and mentioned to me a couple things that need adjustment on the 08 Level - I will handle this when I am back at my shop in early January '15. Thru the 42 years of his work at LBNSYD, he has, at one time or another, worked on all the IOWA class ships in addition to many others that came thru the shipyard. His knowledge is impeccable.

I am STILL waiting on my special order Pontos Deck set and replacement PE parts (3 weeks now :( - nothing!)

so, until it arrives, I'm unable to go too much further on superstructure work. I may begin basic hull work but that is predicated on one of the other Calif. modelers who is working on a hull replacement module (3D printed in ABS plastic) to replace the mis-sharpened after 1/3 of the kit hull. He's getting close and it's phenomenal what he's done using Solidworks and 3D professional printing.

8 bells and time to bug out.

Hank

post-143-0-09987500-1418389600_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-53190000-1418389695_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-60144300-1418389758_thumb.jpg

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA