Licorne by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - POF - TERMINATED LOG

The planking is looking great! Having never dealt with ebony, I have no input but will watch and learn. :)

My husband was looking forward to his retirement too. He's (we've) been busier now than ever - aging parents that require full time care pretty much fill up our days. So, here's wishing you a wonderful retirement filled only with the things you desire to do!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Thanks for the good wishes, Sherry.   I think that could happen here, but my parents are in another state and Janet's step-mom is in another city.  

Here's the laminating jig.. it's made from assorted scrap plywood and cherry bits and is still being fine tuned.   

I first cut the ebony to 1/8" wide by 1/16" thick.  Soak them for hour or two and put them in the jig to dry.  This pre-bends them and also tells me if the wood will split along the grain.  I've had that happen so I'm just being cautious.  

I then coat on piece with PVA and mate it to the other to give me a 1/8" by 1/8th inch square length of wood.  It's put into the jig and allowed to dry.

The picture shows one in the jig and one of my test pieces also.  I'm refining the forward end to allow it go into the rabbit without putting pressure on the stem.  If I can get that last 1/2" area curved just right, it'll be golden and I'll crank out 6 pieces for use.

As someone once said:  "Here goes nothing....!!!"

post-76-0-36030700-1376601540_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks logical.  Having never worked with ebony, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Janos,

They came from MicroMark: http://www.micromark.com/solid-brass-miniature-bar-clamps-4-3and4-inches-long-set-of-2,6555.html  They have 4 different sizes with the others being listed at the bottom of the page.

Thanks Augie.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed too.

John,

Tell OH&S that I am.  And not just when I'm cutting or sanding ebony... but all woods.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Success!!!!!!  post-76-0-56927900-1376623156.gif

The laminated ebony fits perfectly.  I've got 4 made and fitted and will probably do one more at less than full thickness do I can taper the wales into planking.   I know there's an issue in the area in red.. but it needs cutting out for the bowspit and bollards. 

I'll finish running the main wales and then start the "starboard" (also known as "not the wall side").

post-76-0-62835800-1376623195_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks everyone.

Ferit, my friend, you have sharp eyes.   Yes, that's an oops.   I'll be filling it before the final sanding and finishing of that area.  There's a few other areas that need it also. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks everyone.

Ferit, my friend, you have sharp eyes.   Yes, that's an oops.   I'll be filling it before the final sanding and finishing of that area.  There's a few other areas that need it also. 

Hi Mark,

Would you let me know how you will fill it? By a paste or sawdust with PVA or thinner piece of cherry wooden fibre of same color tone of the adjacent plank? Or another solution?

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Looks like the jig and laminating are the ticket.  A little cherry sawdust for the touchup?  The 'wall' won't mind --- the concept has been proven!

Funny you should mention the mask.  In all my years the only wood that gets to me is spruce.  Figures I'd wind up in Colorado :D  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Mark, excellent work on the ebony bending. Retirement..... what's that? I thought that I would have a lot more time and now I seem to be busier than ever, the occasional afternoon nap though is sure nice.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks for the comments and the likes.

For filler, I'll be using PVA and swiss pear dust as the planks are swiss pear.   

One headache is cropping up... it seems that ebony doesn't like PVA.  So, I tried gel CA and it seems to hold.  I'll do some more testing, but I'm headed to the LHS for some epoxy.  Only other solution I have is treenails... :rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I really like the look of the ebony Mark. i asked Chuck about doing that for the wales on my Syren...but with all the problems I have with reactions to CA, he thought the ebony might cause problems for me too, so I opted not to do it. I really like how it looks, but I will just patiently paint mine and call it good.

Robbyn

If you risk nothing, you risk everything!

Current builds

Syren (Model Shipways) version 2.0

AL San Francisco II

Mordaunt (Euro Model)

Completed Builds

18th Century Longboat designed by Chuck Passaro

In the closet

Battle Station

Al Charles Morgan (1980s version)

Hey Mark,

These are all complications i faced when trying to use ebony - i seem to remember somewhere that you might want to try applying some acetone to remove some of the oils before using an adhesive.  Good on you for getting it to bend to fit you hull - thats most of the battle.

As far as filler - another tip i have - is to dilute the sawdust with your finish and apply.  In my case i mix it with pure tung oil - looks much better than PVA mix IMHO.

Chris

Robbyn,

Yeah...CA and also ebony can cause a lot of problems.  That's why I'm going to try the epoxy.  CA plays havoc with my sinuses and lungs.  As for the ebony look, take a look a using MinWax Ebony Stain or Fiebing's Leather Dye.  That's what I was going to use until I started shaping parts. 

Chris,

Thanks for that tip.  I'll give it a shot.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Oh yeah, thats really looking great! Very nice look youre getting by the choice of woods, Mark.

I put on a layer of baking soda to make the CA dry in only seconds and that way it makes no fumes. I just did that on my Vasa when I glued close to the windows as the fumes makes the glass look frosted. Afterwards I just blow the powder away.

/Matti

post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

I'll try that Matti.  Thanks for the tip.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Do some experimenting first as allways, and if you need to sand it, do it right away. It goes from hard to rock solid after a few minutes.

/Matti

Edit: I felt that I should make a warning if anyone wanted to try this. Mixing CA with baking soda makes a pretty strong reaction. Do be careful and dont get any on your fingers, CA glue alone is bad, having that and baking soda on your skin is not a good idea. So be careful, done right its a great help to get quick hard bonds, filling and less fumes.

I only use this when I have to at my Vasa, as I rather have the slow drying effect with white glue to get control and time to adjust stuff. But some parts needs CA to get there nicely, like my gun port mod or the plastic details against wood.

Edited by NAZGÛL
post-3739-0-77091900-1412108706.jpg

Billing Boats Vasa

I got the cracks filled using Chris's method of finish and sawdust and then sanded with 400 grit.  I'm holding on the 600 grit sanding until the whole outside is planked.  All the gunports have been squared up per the drawings.  So far, so good in my estimation but it can be better.  I'll turn her and do the "not the wall side" and see if I can improve. I'll probably revisit some of this side after the other side.

I'm re-thinking my main wales. Only the top one will be ebony, the rest are blended in to it and the regular planks so I'll go with the swiiss pear and leave it natural for that.  At least the ebony that's there will help set the tone for the sheer.  A darn sight easier to work with. 

post-76-0-21205900-1376854520_thumb.jpg

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Some real nice work there Mark; she's looking very trim and ship-shape.  With all that extra time in retirement this will be finished by the end of the year won't it? ;)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Say, just noticed you surpassed 3,000 posts!  Congrats !!  If you were an ordinary human being you'd be an Admiral by now.  But, being a moderator, you are doomed to rank anonymity.

Carry on :D  :P  :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Thanks all.

Matti, I'm thinking I'll just walk away from CA and use epoxy when I need that level of bonding.  :)

John,

I think there's some distortion and maybe a shadow playing havoc.  The build board looks bent and the door frame goes one way and the workbench the other.   Weird.  There is point just aft of the first port where it does start to run "high".  The plank count goes from 6 to 6-1/2.  What I did was use wider plank at the top to compensate and spiled it in. Those three upper planks (including the ebony) start to roll outward just about that first port.  I'll revisit that area when I turn her about again to continue the planks up to the sheer of the foredeck. 

Augie,

Anonymous works for me.  Admirals get shot at first....

Pat,

I don't think that will happen.  My last day of work is planned for Dec. 31st.  :D  :D  :D

Speaking of gunports... did the French put a gun in the bridle port or leave it empty?  I ask since the spacing between ports is wider between the first and second port then the rest and the first is also slightly larger.  Also, the curve of the bow and the riding bitts seem to make the work area smaller.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

She is looking quite fine Mark, When do you get to remove the board and the extra length of the frames?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael,

The board itself will stay put until the exterior is at least fully planked and probably the quarter galleries done.  Need the strength of all that.  Or so I think. :huh:

The frames with the black x's, I'm planning on removing those when the "not the wall side" is at that same point as the "wall side".  ;)

On the other hand, there was a reason Hahn left the board on until it was fully planked in side and out and the carvings were on her.  Methinks it's the convenience of having it on the board.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: