Licorne by mtaylor - 3/16" scale - POF - TERMINATED LOG

Wow, 3000 posts…..

And you wanna be anonymous???????

No way, you can forget that !

The only place where you not want to be is on deck of the Victory  :D

Just keep a low profile  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

the gunports look very nice Mark.........got some sweet looking progress going on there!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Getting caught back up myself, and Mark - wow - that is some work on that there ship of yours.  NICELY done!!

-Adam

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Very nice planking work, Mark, and I see that you have tamed that dreaded ebony into submission, excellent technique, Sir :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Mark,

Gun ports and the ebony are looking good mate, your making some impressive progress there.

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Agree with Matti.....epoxy is great but I doubt the fumes are good for you.......

Oops.....lost track of where I was on the thread......Oh we'll......

Edited by Script

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Marvelous work, Mark, Licorne's gunport alignment and wale shape look fabulous :)

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Thanks for all the likes and comments.

I've changed over to 2-part epoxy as the fumes seem to be less.  But I do keep the window open and fan blowing. :)

I'm still on the first strake on the starboard side.  I've ripped it off twice now and am putting it on a third time. Just didn't quite match the other side in curvature.  Hopefully, the third time is the charm.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hy Mark,

she looks great - a wonderful prototype. I've got no idea about french shipbuilding! Thanks for sharing,

Yours,

Christian

How lucky onshore whilom you have been

you will remake whensoever the ship is sinking.

Seneca

Building:
HMS Wolf 1752, 1/48 snow-rigged Sloop 6pfd - 10 guns

Breton Thuna fishing boats 1/125 (plastic) & 1/50 (wood)

Reconstruction:
HMS Flying Fish 1806, 1/48 Baltimore Schooner 12 gun

Christian,

To be honest, I had no idea about French shipbuilding either.  It's a long learning curve.  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Had an almost disaster.  Broke the lady's back while working on the planking.  I ignored my first rule.. don't work on her when upset or stressed.  We were loosing our dog of 16 years last Sunday and to cope I tried to plank.  :(   Snapped the front of the keel loose and wrecked the first 1" (25.4 mm). 

Anyway, it took the better part of a week before I noticed it and then had to decide... repair, replace the whole keel, or salvage what I could and start over.  Luckily the Admiral's cooler head prevailed in this matter.   I attempted a repair.  The pictures tell the story.  I think it'll be ok once the old girl is right-side up and on a stand.  A little sanding and some cherry sawdust will go a long way to hiding it as will the garboard plank.

post-76-0-11203900-1377992254_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-59191300-1377992255_thumb.jpg

post-76-0-05324200-1377992257_thumb.jpg

Now that the shock is over, I hope to spend more time in the shipyard and hanging out at MSW.  I'm way behind on reading logs.  Oh.. I moved retirement up...  it's currently now at 61 days and wake-up. :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hello Mark, so sorry to read about the loss of your dear four legged friend.  I understand how you feel.  :(   Your repair of the keel is looking good, with the planking in place it'll be unnoticeable.  Great job!

61 more days eh, hang in.  It'll be there sooner then you think.

Make it a great rest of the day.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Mark,

I too am very sorry for your loss of a long-time friend, as the others say, time will heal the hurts my friend.

Very nice fix on the keel, mate, with some wood dust magic and planking, no one will ever know it was there.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:

Past build:

Hi Mark, so sorry to hear about your dog.  They are like any other close family member in my book.

Nice job on the repair - I am really enjoying your build and learning a lot.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 1 month later...

CA is a bugger to work with. I use it only if nothing else does job. There are tips from Tower and a set spray that help. Every time I use it I swear never again. Epoxy is actually much more user friendly, the longer the cure time the better the bond, it can be thinned to use as paint as well. Ebony seems like a real bugger to work with, being a nut I will have to try it!

Tony

Savannah, Georgia

Multi hobby nut.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow Mark! I, at this stage in my modelling career may only hope to be as skillful as yourself. Excellent job you are doing. I am presently studying for a scratchbuild but so far have only gotten as far as the Ship Model Builders Assistant....reading now about your first scratchbuild and how to plan before you do any cutting.

Thanks for sharing your build as I will be following, too. Good luck friend. :)

Creativity Heart & Soul!

Happy Model Ship Building Friends!

John E.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for retirement wishes and comments.   Been a week and wonderful. Getting things done that I've wanted to do and even worked on Licorne

I had some gremlins visit. post-76-0-43902300-1383952195.jpg   Grabbed the wrong drill bit to put some holes into the frames for planking clamps.  It was too small and when putting in the clamps, I heard a horrible cracking sound and the planking bulged outwards.   Choice words, isopropyl, and several hours later, the planking was removed from the damage area, the frame fixed, and the planking back on.  

I've finished the starboard planking between the main and chain wales.  Currently sanding and final cutting and sizing the gunports.   Hope to have pictures soon.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I always wonder when I do something that causes me to step backwards to repair something that was damaged by doing something constructive with the wrong bit.  Sounds like you have moved on now, I am looking forward to some pictures.

Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

guess you just have to laugh Mark..........doesn't do to get upset.   you did good.......replace and move on

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Well... isn't that all you CAN do?  Laugh it off, fix it, and carry on?  Or at least after the expletives have blackened the air in the workshop, of course.  I'm just a sanding fool right now making powdered wood in one area, and smooth wood in the other.   I'm happy with the way it's going.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Gosh Mark, only one week off and the brain has gone to mush already! You'd better go get a job to keep the mind active.......