HMS Victory by guraus - scale 1:48 plank on frames

Hello Isalbert,

I don't know exactly what you want to see so I posted three pictures, hope that helps.

Alexandru

post-540-0-36460200-1424262571_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-25771700-1424262572_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-00372000-1424262573_thumb.jpg

For all my builds please visit my site at: http://www.AlexShipModels.com

Previous builds

G'day Alexandru..

Just spent the last 3 to 5 days reading your log. I've got drill marks all over my tablet. Can't believe how great this art piece is turning out. I can't say model, because it's more than that! The love and workmanship and patience that you have put into it is amazing. Can't wait for more updates.

WELL DONE. All the other readers has said it before, and I agree with all of them.

Cheers

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

• 2 weeks later...

words escape me to express how beautiful the model is.  I can't believe the skill and quality as well as the beauty.  Thank you for sharing it with us!

• 2 months later...

Alexandru,

You continue to amaze !!!! Your build log updates are always a pleasure to see.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful work......I assume the pump actually pumps water, it's looks so realistic.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Really nice progress, Alexandru

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

I echo Vivian`s words

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

WOW  !!!   insperational

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

• 2 weeks later...

Stared working on the beached bulkhead and decided to do a small repair for several can't frames that were previously patched because they ended up to thin at top end after sanding. They look much better now and I am happy I did this repair.

Regards,

Alexandru

post-540-0-88499400-1433862538_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-96080900-1433862539_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-95177400-1433862540_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-70378900-1433862541_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-20070100-1433862542_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-71378300-1433862542_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-17384300-1433862543_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-63702000-1433862543_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-26871700-1433862544_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-01348600-1433862545_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-25193200-1433862553_thumb.jpg

post-540-0-06077600-1433862554_thumb.jpg

Previous builds

Congratulations Alexandru on a great model,  and all the clear photos.  It is all very inspirational. 

I wanted to add to the debate about the height of the beakhead deck which I have just been reading.  Maybe what I am going to say has already been said further on in this log,  but I am reading through it slowly and have not seen all of the posts yet.

Anyway,  I have studied many draughts of 2 decked warships from the second half of the 18th century,  and in every one it is quite clear that the upper deck is lower than the beakhead deck.  There is a little ladder,  of 2 or 3 steps,  stepping up to the higher deck.  This often is shown on the inboard profile.

However,  on several designers' draughts of 3-deckers,  visible online from the NMM collections,  for example the 'Duke' of 1777,  and the 'Royal George' of 1756 and of 1788,  the beakhead deck is a continuation of the upper deck,  and is at the same level,  with no steps.

It would seem,  therefore,  that maybe Fortres is correct,  and this is something that would bear further investigation;  that the beakhead deck on 3-deckers was different to that on 2-deckers.

Slade's design draught of the 'Victory' from 1765 is in the NMM collection,  but it is very badly damaged and difficult to make out the details in the online image.  However,  there is an image of it in a recent book on Nelson's Victory by Brian Lavery which I have,  and here it can be made out that this deck at the same level as the upper deck.

This does show her as built,  of course,  and by the time of Trafalgar this may have changed,  as she had been much re-built.

In all the three-deckers mentioned above,  the top of the main rail's central section is at the same level as the upper deck.  As this part of the main rail formed the sides of the grating deck,  the grating deck cannot have been any higher than the upper deck.

All the best,

Mark P

Edited by Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

G'day Alexandru

Great job! You and Danny are two of the kind. Your eye to details are amazing.

Havagooday

Greg

Mark,

Thank you for contributing to the beakhead deck debate. Your input is appreciated. Unfortunately for my model is now to late to change anything - it will have a raised platform as there is one in the Victory in Portsmouth. Was that there from the beginning or not I don't know. I personally find it suspect to loose all that space (between the two decks) on such a crowded ship.

Greg

Thank you for appreciation of my work.

Alexandru

Previous builds