10mtr Fishing Trawler Propitious by kees de mol - FR-927 1/26 Scale - Finished

Because I want to make a realistic model like it is sailing in to the harbour I wanted to add some figures to the boat. The figure is a 1/24 scale figure but his size match well with the 1/26 scale.

Meet Niels...
IMG_20140712_180644_zps2wh98zjl.jpg

IMG_20140712_180651_zpslkbjimng.jpg

IMG_20140712_180712_zps1ka8oyiy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

Due to holidays and other cases, the work on the trawler for a while stood still, but that has now changed. Still several issues had to be made on the deck. I'm not sure what to call everything, but it is mainly rolls where the fishing lines come out and where the lines are led back. A railing with control for winch and three hatches and a winch made​​.
After this I must still make the railing and some small things and then the building is almost finished and it needs to be painted only.

In the pictures I show only the new stuff so you can see what's new.

The beginning of a winch

IMG_20140707_113716_zps4a13292b.jpg

IMG_20140707_114933_zps5c432c29.jpg

IMG_20140707_115640_zps5b6f2e57.jpg

And then you get this

IMG_20140707_121301_zps183e3f58.jpg

And here the new new dekfittings. I have no pictures of the building but trust me. It was not without any problems to find Proper shapes and sizes

P1010667_zpsb3937d52.jpg

P1010668_zpse947cb5c.jpg

P1010669_zpsf3e4e1da.jpg

P1010670_zpsc083f0f1.jpg

P1010671_zpscc422e07.jpg

P1010672_zpsd2ada967.jpg

And yes the chains are a bit too thick. For this, I am looking for a smaller one.

hello Kees.......you have one fantastic build right here! I am awestruck with your talent and ability. is this all styrene, or is it a mix of styrene and card? you've done some really nice metal work as well. your weathering is superb as well....I know of both techniques, but I don't do them {I'm terrible at it :D} I'm one of those clean freaks.......I try to weather something.....the next day I don't like it and fix it :)

I also noticed the boat in the back......is there a story to that one?

oh....the chain.....I don't think you need to worry about that too much. to me, it may be a little out of scale, but when you have the deck fitted out, it will blend right in ;) it's only a couple small pieces.

super build......I'll be watching! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I rarely see enough models of working boats.  I love the way your trawler is coming together.

David B

Hello people

Today continued with the factory of the bulwark. The legs must be made and aligned and that was lots of work. I have glued the feet  to the deck with a mould  (after I had measured out where to stand, of course) and then the horizontal pipes fitted.
Because Cyanoacrylaat-glue adheres poorly on brass I have every bonding later touched with a bit of epoxy glue.

It looks nice, and things are properly aligned. The building is now ready apart from some minor things, and so we can start painting.

P1010673_zpsa68d5d7f.jpg

All fifteen ready
P1010674_zps4fbdc6e1.jpg

P1010675_zps5971bfd0.jpg

alles vast.
P1010676_zpsf0a1b8d0.jpg

Sorry no further pictures here. Here is the epoxy I use
P1010677_zpsb7aaadf6.jpg

The almost ready-pictures
P1010678_zps0ad67ab1.jpg

P1010679_zpsaa3834c1.jpg

P1010680_zpsaadb5c15.jpg

P1010681_zpsb5e96f58.jpg

P1010682_zps03fcaf61.jpg

Thanks for all the reply's This evening I hope to answer some reply's (with a little help from google-translate)

hello Kees.......you have one fantastic build right here! I am awestruck with your talent and ability. is this all styrene, or is it a mix of styrene and card? you've done some really nice metal work as well. your weathering is superb as well....I know of both techniques, but I don't do them {I'm terrible at it :D} I'm one of those clean freaks.......I try to weather something.....the next day I don't like it and fix it :)

I also noticed the boat in the back......is there a story to that one?

oh....the chain.....I don't think you need to worry about that too much. to me, it may be a little out of scale, but when you have the deck fitted out, it will blend right in ;) it's only a couple small pieces.

super build......I'll be watching! :)

Hello Popeye. The weathering isn't something I do a lott. In fact its the first ship I weather. But I have great fun in it and it works well with this ship. Next ship won't be weathered but I migth use some pre and aftershading and some filters just to make thing more realistic.

I use mostly styreen but will use any other material when needed. "card"? You mean paper?

The boat in the back.. Do you mean the drawing on the wall? That's a drawing of the fr-927 specially made for modellers. The other boat at the attic is a model of a dutch beamtrawler wich I made when I was arround 16 years. Its RC but didn't sail for about 12 years.

Very nice attention to detail.  Looks like it needs some sacrificial anodes. I love the way you have weathered it.

No reflection on your work, but the trawler doesn't look like it would be stable in high seas or even small ones.  I have been in the North Atlantic/ Irish Sea during some very bad storms and I wouldn't want to be in that boat.

I totally agree on the anodes but I spend a lot of time surching for material to make them. Good news I found beads wich have the correct shape and size to make them. The hull isn't ready yet I have some more weathering to do on it.

I totally agree with your last remark. I would not dare to sail in rough sea but they say the ship handles fine.

Regards, Kees

Edited by kees de mol

Hello Kees,

I just happened upon your build. Your work is very precise and sharp and your weathering/rust technique is fantastic. The finish looks so realistic. Very nice. I think my next build might be in need of this look so I'm thrilled to see how it's done.

Thanks for sharing it.   :)

Edited by lamarvalley

Hello Kees,

I just happened upon your build. Your work is very precise and sharp and your weathering/rust technique is fantastic. The finish looks so realistic. Very nice. I think my next build might be in need of this look so I'm thrilled to see how it's done.

Thanks for sharing it.   :)

Totally agree!

Thank you for all the pictures.  They explain so much even without words.  Well done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you for the kind replys. I was overwelmed by the builds I saw here but I am happy that my build can have a place here to. Today I've been painting a second figure for the ship. He will have a place on the bridge so you wont see a lot of him but I like to ad detail in the painting. Next week some photo's

Regards, Kees

Lately, I have been painting the second figure that will be placed on my ship.  It's Captain Job and he will soon be found on the bridge. I think it's successful and I've at least had fun painting.

P1010683_zpsb3117d6f.jpg

P1010684_zpsa728220d.jpg

P1010685_zpscd821273.jpg

P1010687_zpsa3c42ec3.jpg

P1010689_zps321d247e.jpg

Greetings and the next time more building and painting

Edited by kees de mol

looking very nice Kees........railings look awesome! really like the way the deck is shaping up! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Kees. Can you please explain how you are making the crew members? Are you carving them, or using sculpey, or some other method?

Hello. These figures are from Tamiya. They come in eight pieces so you have to glue and paint them. They are truckers but I like them as fishermen to.

• 3 weeks later...

At this moment I've come a little further with the boat. First I build some trawldoors. They are used on the trawlnet as a rudder to keep te net open.

P1010729_zpsa1483596.jpg

P1010728_zps4ae0588f.jpg

After this I started the paintwork. The first staps are done but it is off coarse not ready yet. The weathering will take a lot of time and work. In this first stap I use the 'saltflake methode'.

P1010722_zps2e70c501.jpg

P1010724_zps811c4894.jpg

P1010725_zpsa629fc38.jpg

P1010727_zpsc65aa978.jpg

P1010730_zpsad49034e.jpg

P1010731_zps6402209a.jpg

Regards, Kees

very nice looking fore deck

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Kees...you're a true magician to be able to pull off the transformation that you're doing now - from pristine and ship-shape to worn, weathered and full of character with workman-like charm.

Can you pls explain a bit more about what each step involves? For instance, what is the saltflake method? What other methods do you use?

Look forward to hearing from you.

All the best!

Edited by Omega1234

Kees,

what a spectecular build. It must be the shortest steel built Trawler i`ve ever seen. There must be spacewise Docking Problems alongside the kay.

Its a wonderful model, the realitic weathering makes it look like having a hard fishing season behind it.

In all very well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Can you pls explain a bit more about what each step involves? For instance, what is the saltflake method? What other methods do you use?

With painting I first paint everything in a grey base colour. After that I paint them in the colour Hull Red. Then I use a sponge to tap 3 or 4 different rustcolours all over it.

When this is dry I depp the parts wet with water and a drip of dishwasher soap. Then I sprinkle salt on the wet surface. You have to aim where you sprinkle the salt, not to much not to little.

With a hairdryer I make this dry (o **** my English must be very bad :o ) and then I use the airbrush to spray the topcolour. When this is dry I use a toothbrush and water to rinse the salt and brush the salt off.

When the salt is brushed away the rust and hull colour will appear. After this I am not ready yet becouse I have to add shadows, highlight, rustpigments, washes, filters, chips. etc, etc. I like this proces very much becouse you never know what will be the result of what you are going to do.

I hope I can show you some results the next days

kind regards, Kees

Hi Kees.  Thanks for the explanation. I'm sure that you make it sound easy, but, in reality, I know that it's probably much harder than it looks.  For instance, it wouldn't take much to overdo an area, or under do it, and thus spoil the overall effect.  Getting that balance right can only come with experience. 

Look forward to more pictures.

All the best

I had a lot of fun weathering the ship these days. Maybe it's not everybody's taste but I like the result so far.

P1010737_zpsc9c55c54.jpg

P1010738_zpsfb1127dd.jpg

P1010740_zps13513632.jpg

P1010742_zpsae49dcc8.jpg

P1010743_zps8fca0d00.jpg

Groeten, Kees

Edited by kees de mol

That is one well-used ship, Kees.  I love the weathering included the bent rail at the stern. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A work boat always looks best when weathered.  Many years ago at a contest the best of show came down to two models.  Both were exquisite.  Very well done and clean.  The tug boat lost out.  The modeler was able to ask the judges the reason for their verdict.  They told him that they have never seen a tug boat that looked like a yacht.

David

Hi Kees. I understand why you say that it "may not be to everyone's taste', but, in my opinion, this sort of ship would just not look right if it was rust-free, clean and precise. It needs to be weathered, because only then, will it look like a true working boat.

I like it!

All the best.

sweet job!   I'd be very proud of that kind of talent! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The past few days I worked on the crane with powerblock. It's being used for hauling(?) the nets in.

P1020015_zps7c5cac23.jpg

P1020016_zps368f7be8.jpg

Groeten, Kees

Edited by kees de mol