Symphony by Omega1234 - FINISHED - 1/200 scale - 112' Ketch

looking really nice Patrick.........what else is going on the port side  {I noticed the curved piece on the floor}   :)      some very nice progress indeed!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Dennis

Thanks. The curved bit on the floor is the template for a curved cupboard. Aft of the curved cupboard is the navigation station.

I also need to build the actual fireplace itself, perhaps out of shim brass or copper, as in the real ship's hearth. But, that'll be done a bit later on, once I finish the curved cupboard.

Still lots of work to go, but it keeps me off the streets!

Cheers and thanks

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi everyone

A quick update. I've started on the curved cupboard which sits on the starboard side of the saloon. Aft of the curved cupboard sits the navigation station.

Still lots of work to go.

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-33856200-1437053940_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-88140600-1437053952_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-98181000-1437053965_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-72658100-1437053979_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-04691800-1437059690_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-19920800-1437059768_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Beautiful, simply beautiful.  I love that red top with the wood trim.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Patrick, it seems to me that your beautiful cupboard needs a model boat to sit on top, preferably one in a bottle.  :D

This is fantastic work!

Hi Bob, Vaddoc and Carl and everyone else for hitting the Like button!

Many thanks as always!

Carl- thanks for your compliment, which is greatly appreciated.

Vaddoc- funny you mention about a ship model, because the full sized boat actually has a large twin funelled steamer-type model on display, according to one of the photos I've found. Mmmm, now maybe you're onto something; albeit not a similar type ship, but something a bit more achievable at less than a centimetre long!

Bob- Thanks. The cupboard's red top is Australian Jarrah, which contrasts nicely against the wattyl veneer.

Thanks everyone, as always

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Very Nice Patrick very nice indeed.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi everyone

Vaddoc gave me a great idea, which was to do a tiny model boat to display inside Symphony.

Well, I had a go and came up with this gaff rigged cutter.  It's tiny, but with a bit of imagination, you can just make it out.

Here goes.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-69696100-1437113060_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-01816100-1437113066_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-02844000-1437113072_thumb.jpg

Hallo Patrick

In this log also and again, you showing us the emergence of a small work of art - absolutely great! ...  :) 

... and I have to admit what I also like is the consistency and the aesthetics of your photo galleries and the presentation of your logs. They are very beautiful and inspiring - they seem to me like a still life - for example, there is this fruit bowl in the background or the box with the funny elephant (which my little girl loves so much) or also the small blurry screen of the laptop - I like that!

Keep it up! All the best!

Mike

current scratch build 1:15

Colin Archer - RS14 "Stavanger"

<jaw drops><walks away shaking head> Un-freaking-believable...  !!!! :o  :o :o  :o  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Mark, Mick and Mike!  

Thanks heaps for all of your wonderful comments.

Mick - No need to hide in the corner!  I'm just glad you like what I managed to do.  Greatly appreciated!

Mark - Very grateful for your comments!  It was a fun thing to do and it actually came out better than expected.

Mike - Totally blown away by your comment. I must admit that I never give the background a moments' notice when I'm taking photos.  The fact that your daughter likes the tin with the elephant is amazing.  I promise to take a photo of it especially for her next time!

Thanks and all the best!

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Frank

Thanks!!!  Normally I do use magnifiers like an Opti Visor for this type of work.  I find it particularly useful, although, it can take some getting used to.

I hope you're well and that your next update is not too far away.

Cheers and all the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

I echo the preceding comments - you've really gone above and beyond on this one - the micro boat in your mini boat. Pretty soon we're going to have to break out the nano- prefix! Seeing the pics of this boat really are inspirational - I doubt I will even approach the crisp quality of your interior while putting mine together - if I ever even get that far!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Hey !   Wait !   you did what?  Let me see that again.  Yes I see it.  I'm still not sure I believe it.  It;s a Photoshop trick isn't it?   :)    :P    :D

Well done.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Hi Patrick

Been pretty busy - hopefully will have another update later today.

I use Optivisors also - I use the number 7 lens.

I'd love to fire off a number of questions on how you do such great small work - would you mind?

Hi Patrick

Been pretty busy - hopefully will have another update later today.

I use Optivisors also - I use the number 7 lens.

I'd love to fire off a number of questions on how you do such great small work - would you mind?

Hi Frank

Sure. We're off on vacation for the weekend, but should be back online tomorrow night. Fire away and I'll answer if I can get internet access, or, if not, it'll be when we get back home.

Happy to help!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hey !   Wait !   you did what?  Let me see that again.  Yes I see it.  I'm still not sure I believe it.  It;s a Photoshop trick isn't it?   :)    :P    :D

Well done.

Bob

Hi Bob

Many thanks for your comments about my teeny tiny cutter! Sorry, it's not photoshopped. I can attest to that because I must have dropped it on the table about a dozen times as I was trying to shape the hull. I'm glad you liked it. I have to thank Vaddoc as well as Igor for the inspiration ( I have a new found respect for Igor's work!).

All the best and I look forward to seeing your next Dragon update.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick

OK, so here are some questions:

What do you normally use to cut these super small pieces?  (hobby knife, scalpel, straight razor ....)?

I'm assuming any sandpaper under 400 would be very aggressive on these tiny pieces.  What grades do you use, and do you make tiny sanding sticks?

Since most straight edges and squares are much too big for some of these small pieces, how do you stay straight when cutting?

As I think of some more I'll pester you a little more.

Hi Frank

Thanks for your questions. Here goes.

For cutting the veneers, I use this blade - number 11 Xactor blade (http://xacto.com/products/cutting-solutions/blades/x-life-blades/X-LIFE-11-Classic-Fine-Point-Blade.aspx).

As for sanding, you're right about the sandpaper. I find that scraping the veneer to a nice smooth finish BEFORE I cut it into thin strips works best. Doing so ensures that it's nice and smooth. If need be, I can still sand it once the cupboard, etc, is finished with 1000grit wet and dry paper (used dry).

I use a steel ruler as the straight edge, but you're right, getting a perfectly straight edge is difficult. The secret is to have a sharp blade, plus also to pick a piece of veneer which has a nice straight grain and cut along the grain. Jarrah veneer, for example can be fraught with problems. Some of my sheets of veneer have perfectly straight grains which makes cutting easy, whilst my other sheets have a wavy grain, which means that no matter how hard I try to cut these sheets, the tiny strips always come out jaggered. These strips just go straight into the bin. So, the answer for me is to choose the straightest grained veneer and a nice sharp blade.

I hope these all help.

Also, I'm on vacation at the moment, so I hope my internet connection stays on long enough to send this post!!!

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Hi Frank

One other trick I've learnt for cutting the veneer is to saturate the sheet with liquid super glue. Once dried, it cuts beautifully. Also, try gluing the veneer onto tissue paper. Does the same trick by preventing splitting.

Hope these tips work.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Let me step in.  A trick using a steel straight edge is to put tape with a rough surface on the bottom.  The cutting blade does not move it as easily.

Bob