Symphony by Omega1234 - FINISHED - 1/200 scale - 112' Ketch

Patrick, what a fine job you're doing.  Looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Very nice work Patrick, She's really taking shape

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Patrick

No baby yet; we thought we were going to be celebrating last Wednesday or Thursday, but progress stalled out. So we are waiting again :/

As for the louvers - again, the idea (I think) is to capture the essence of the louver. What if you used thin, fairly closely spaced dowel or wire? At your scale, and aided by the fact an observer would be looking in and around the hull and deck cutouts and other interior work, a frame with just a bunch of closely spaced straight lines (the wire or dowel) would give the impression or essence of a louvered vent, since there are three dimensions, and therefore shadows in the spaces in between the lines, even though the shape of the 'louver' isn't accurate to reality.

I did a quick 3D model to demonstrate the effect I'm talking about. First, the close up showing thin dowel/wire closely spaced (the spacing can be adjusted as needed to approximate the actual vent):

post-17514-0-39918000-1434999513_thumb.jpg

Now, zooming out (or scaling down), you get the essence of louvered vents; again, the spacing can be adjusted to achieve the desired effect:

post-17514-0-71331900-1434999514_thumb.jpg

Another possibility might be to take a piece of plastic styrene the size of the opening, and cut closely spaced slits into it with a fine blade. Not sure if that is any less work than the previous suggestion, or if it is even practical; just another idea.

Good luck!

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

Hi Patrick

No baby yet; we thought we were going to be celebrating last Wednesday or Thursday, but progress stalled out. So we are waiting again :/

As for the louvers - again, the idea (I think) is to capture the essence of the louver. What if you used thin, fairly closely spaced dowel or wire? At your scale, and aided by the fact an observer would be looking in and around the hull and deck cutouts and other interior work, a frame with just a bunch of closely spaced straight lines (the wire or dowel) would give the impression or essence of a louvered vent, since there are three dimensions, and therefore shadows in the spaces in between the lines, even though the shape of the 'louver' isn't accurate to reality.

I did a quick 3D model to demonstrate the effect I'm talking about. First, the close up showing thin dowel/wire closely spaced (the spacing can be adjusted as needed to approximate the actual vent):

attachicon.gifvents render 2.jpg

Now, zooming out (or scaling down), you get the essence of louvered vents; again, the spacing can be adjusted to achieve the desired effect:

attachicon.gifvents render 1.jpg

Another possibility might be to take a piece of plastic styrene the size of the opening, and cut closely spaced slits into it with a fine blade. Not sure if that is any less work than the previous suggestion, or if it is even practical; just another idea.

Good luck!

Hi Ben

Now, that's thinking outside the box! I like the idea of closely spaced wires to simulate the louvres.

I'll give it a go and see how it turns out.

Thanks and good luck with Baby No.2.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Ben

Now, that's thinking outside the box! I like the idea of closely spaced wires to simulate the louvres.

I'll give it a go and see how it turns out.

Thanks and good luck with Baby No.2.

Cheers

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I used a similar technique to make the bars on the light window. I used the wire diameter of 0.15 mm. What sizes blinds you need?

1904276_439286586223464_3368454926320218

Best Regards!

Igor.

Hi Ben, Igor and all those who pressed the Like button. Greatly appreciated!

Well..................and it's a long well....I tried so many times to make the louvred windows using the methods suggested by Ben and Igor (thanks guys!). I tried the wires as well cutting strips into a suitably sized piece of styrene. Neither method worked and it started to do my head in! I guess, I just wasn't in the right head space to make either method look good.

In frustration, I resorted to actually cutting thin strips of veneer and gluing them directly into the frames. The results are shown in the photos. It looks passable and just needs some trimming.

I've also taken the motor out so that I could take some photos of it. The results are shown below.

Anyhow, enjoy the rest of your weeks, everyone!

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-22486800-1435064862_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-39244700-1435064879_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-68128100-1435064900_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-91482800-1435064917_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-80365500-1435064931_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-80401700-1435064944_thumb.jpg

I agree - the vents look great! Now that I see them, I understand why the wire didn't pass well - the proportion of louver to opening to frame would have been wonky.

Sorry the idea didn't work out, but I suppose sometimes it takes going down a wrong road to inspire finding the right one ;)

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

nice work on the interior so far.........the engine looks great,   by the way!  ;)      the louvers look alright........just need to be evened out a little  :)  I was looking at some of the railing parts to my Titanic build.......cripes,  even that would have worked well  {based on your idea Ben}.   your doing a super job!

if your interested in some of those parts,  let me know.......there is a list of the unused parts on the back page of the instructions  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

She's looking good, fine work.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

Nice work, Patrick..  The louvers are coming out great as did the engine.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Patrick , Beautiful work , and I echo all the comments , Well done

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Pete, Mark, Bob, Dennis, Igor, and Ben! Thanks for your comments and thanks also to those who hit the Like button.

Dennis- thanks and I'll just need to trim the louvres as you've suggested. One done, they'll come up a treat! Thanks for stopping by.

Igor - thanks for posting your photo. Nice job, as always!

Ben - pls don't feel bad, because I really gave it a go. It just seemed too hard for me and my thick head to really make it work. Thanks and all the best!

Patrick

Eh, I don't feel bad; part of engineering is having good ideas that don't work out in reality. And, you don't have a thick head - someone with a thick head wouldn't be able to solve any of the problems and challenges that come with detailing yacht interiors that fit in the palm of a hand! :)

~ Ben

Current Builds:

Hi everyone

Many thanks for all of your comments, likes and encouragement! It's all greatly appreciated.

I've been chipping slowly away at Symphony's interior, lately. Most of it may NOT look like much, (e.g. trimming and adding details such as doors, and a double bed in the port side double stateroom, and associated other things, etc), but when all put together, it all adds up.

Everything's still loosely placed in the hull, though, so it still looks a bit wonky. More work yet to go.

Here are the latest photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-22382900-1435444279_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-71478100-1435444294_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-48345400-1435444306_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-44643300-1435444321_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-87694500-1435444338_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-50063800-1435444351_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-63645500-1435444374_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-59195000-1435444386_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-89321500-1435444403_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega1234

Patrick, you're doing a fine job.  Way back in the days of ole, when I was a boy scout, the scout master was a finish carpenter.  That is he would go in after the house was built and do all of the trim around the doors, windows, etc.  He always told us it takes as long to do a good job on the trim as it takes to build the house.  I find that true here also.  It takes as long to do the interior and deck furnishings as it does to build the hull and deck. 

Bob

Beautiful work Patrick,. She's sure looking good

Best Regards,

Pete

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

Completed Builds :

Herreshoff Alerion

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

Hi Pete and Bob.

Many thanks!

Bob- I can relate to what you're saying about the finishing....I often wonder why I'm spending so much time doing the trim when it'll hardly be seen once the deck is on, but, like your carpenter-scout master must've thought, it just has to be done, otherwise, it just won't be finished!

Pete- thanks for following along.

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

I think you have trained carpenter ants hidden someplace doing this great work Patrick  marvelous work.

David B

the way your accenting the interior is really nice.  the wood finish really brings out the inner beauty  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Dennis, Dave and Frank, as well as everyone who hit the Like button! Greatly appreciated!

I've made a bit more progress in the owner's stateroom in the aft of the ship. Principally, the work to date includes the settee on the port side and also, I've mocked up the double bed that sits on the starboard side. Once I'm satisfied that the bed frame fits, then, I'll do the final frame. I've still got to do a fair bit more work on the surrounding area, eg settee cushions, mattress, cupboards, etc.

Anyhow, here are the photos.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-32613900-1435845537_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-81573500-1435845640_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-40411400-1435845673_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-44114900-1435845766_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-88674000-1435845830_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-79905700-1435845868_thumb.jpg

Patrick this is very nice. That engine, terrific work!

I must say that fruit and boats actually go well together, somehow your photos always bring to my mind the National Gallery in London which is one of my favourite spots.

Looking forward for the rest of the journey

Vaddoc