Andrea Gail by popeye the Sailor - FINISHED - 1:20 scale

thanks for the kind comments gentlemen.....I enjoy this part of the build.  being able to permanently install all these parts show that I've made some progress  :)

I've had that window maker George since my plastic days......works well with making small windows and cementing clear parts in place.  I use it here for the light lenses and such......just fill the voids and let it dry.   it can also be painted,  as in the case of the nav lights.

now to get the pilot house roof on.........then I can work on the trawl rig!   I can't wait to start getting it on there!  more to do with the reels,  but  they'll be on there soon!   thanks again and also to all who hit the like button.  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

She's coming together really nicely Denis, my bet is you cant stop smiling when you look at her and that's as it should be.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

She's looking good.  Love the dash board and controls.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Mobbsie.......dry fits are one thing.......but when everything is cemented in place,  it shows major progress :)   I'm still amazed with how she's shaping up.  to think that this build comes from a simple observation I made,  when I built the Boulogne hull.   I didn't think it would look as good,  particularly with the stern being tapered like it is.  looking at her now,  it's hardly noticeable.  yepper......I'm pleased with it.....what pleases me more is that others are enjoying it as well  ;)

thanks Bob......I'm probably not going to go much further with the pilot house.......a few more thing perhaps.   I'm chomp'in at the bit to get the roof on there!   much more to go yet!  :)  thank you my friend!

thanks also to everyone who hit the like button...I gotta get busy now and make more parts to put on her!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Ahhhhhh as we are finally in the bullseye of some fair snowfall this season I took a bit to catch up on your build Popeye and as it comes together the more awesome it gets. Great detail,  I love the look of workboats anyway so I will keep checking in to  see this beauty as it comes together.

Happy Modeling,

Marty G.

thanks Carl and Marty............we don't need any more snow!  I'll try to get more don on her this week  :)  thanks for the good word!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Popeye

Just checking in to see if you had any new up dates, but I guess that you are spending all of your spare time removing all of that snow, will check back again soon, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hi Dennis

I was wondering the same thing. I hope all's well.

Cheers

Patrick

Suprime Court of MSW

Case No __ : SNOW vs MODELONG

Who will win?

Denis, of course

:)

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

thank you Lawrence,  Nenad and Patrick for the concerns.   snow has been an issue........biggest issue is where to put it anymore!  but the biggest issue I have been busy with,  has been the Isuzu {my SUV}.

I had mentioned breaking down on the highway a couple of weeks ago.  at first,  I thought it was a problem I could handle here at home,  but in starting to tear it down,  I found bigger problems.   it was shipped to a garage,  where they confirmed that the engine is trash.   I have a warranty on it,  but they denied the request......lubrication being their scapegoat.  so I ended up having to buy another car,  and bring the Isuzu home,  since I can't afford to have the work done {quite a price tag}!   it will sit in the garage until the weather gets warmer,  and then I will work on replacing the engine myself.   actually,  I already knew that the engine was bad......I needed a certified garage to confirm it,  so I could use the warranty.   had I known beforehand that the request would be denied,  I wouldn't have spent the cash.

there's quite a history on this truck.......so much has come to light since this happened.  I've always had my suspicions..........they are all confirmed now.  to bad the place I bought it from is out of business.

anyway........this week has been on the positive side......I managed to get back to the table for short sprints,  shoveling snow in between.   there is to be a hold on the main deck....looks a bit different than what I'm used to making.   I started by cutting out the parts for it.

post-612-0-97757100-1425033467.jpg

these turned out to be too large,  so I had to scale it down a little.   when I had the parts I needed,  they were cemented together.

post-612-0-91833000-1425033555.jpg

my thoughts were also on the pilot house roof.  to make centering it easy,  and to beef it up in case there is any drilling to be done,  I added a pad of flat stock to the inner ceiling.

post-612-0-73593600-1425033709.jpg

I even got to go on another scavenger hunt......for chain and hollow round stock,  for making vents for the cabins below deck.   I need to make three of them.   I have some horn type vents,  but they do not fit the style.

post-612-0-53690300-1425034113.jpg

post-612-0-48950900-1425034129.jpg

ahhhh,  but again I think I have to catch myself.........the round tube may be too large.  more to think about.   mean while,  I added a center spine to the hold and sanded it smooth.

post-612-0-39002300-1425034365.jpg

I also made another part......not sure what it's use would be.  I first thought it would be made up with hollow tubes,  but it shows them as solid in the instructions.

post-612-0-63597500-1425034720.jpg

the pad that I cemented on the inner roof was dry..........

post-612-0-32659100-1425034777.jpg

now it's ready for paint........the lids for the hold were made by this time,  so they both got a coat of primer.  once dry,  the lids got a coat of gloss white.

post-612-0-04709000-1425035614.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I did make a little more progress yesterday........with the roof not being glued down,  it may prove to be a problem.  I think it will be alright though  :)   to the first part of the trawl rig,  the front support uprights have been cemented in place.    dry fit,  it is now a self standing assembly  ;)

post-612-0-58819300-1425036370.jpg

the posts were cemented in place at this time......the hold is just placed there,  because I have one more idea about that stubborn crack.  I have a feeling it will never get resolved.......between the bouncing temperatures.......it may never get resolved.

post-612-0-24960600-1425036627.jpg

I have a couple of things to do here around the house.........I may get more done today  :)

fingers are crossed!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Patrick.........I was starting to get  'modeler's envy'  watching you fine folks making progress.  glad to be back  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Carl......yea.....I needed this like a hole in head.   the engine replacement far exceeds the value of the truck,  but the body is in very good shape,  and it has no value in the shape it's in at the moment.  can't sell it......can't junk it anyway,  because there is still a loan on it.

I wonder what they would say,  if I called them and told them their collateral is gone!  ;)   they'll call me anyway,  because I took almost all the insurance off of it,  seeing as it will be stored and not on the road.  the only thing that's on it,  is if something were to happen to it,  like a roof collapse  {if I should be so lucky ;) }    now if only warmer weather would come.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Sorry about the bad news about your ride Dennis.  :( Can't stand insurance companies myself. But glad you've had a chance to make some progress. Looks great. :) 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Trawling rig is going to be spectacular.  Nice to see you underway again.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

popeye, just catching up with your build, gorgeous!  I also appreciate that you show how you build the pieces, great work.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Popeye,

Can't you get an overhauled engine ... I used to replace my mini engine when it was about 100000 miles and used an overhauled one. They run quite merrily I must say, and are a lot less expensive compared to their newly born sisters/brothers. Alternator, coil, starter motor etc, I took from the old one, which saved a few bucks ... and I took off for another 100K miles ... those high rPM's on those engines didn't do them much good, though it was real fun driving!!! Took corners like it was a hoover :D

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hi Dennis

I agree with everyone, including yourself...having a buggered up car is not good news at all. I hope you can get it sorted once your winter's over. It sounds you're pretty handy with the cars...I seem to recall you mentioned that you were/are a vehicle mechanic?

As for your AG, well I love it; especially the shot with the trawl rig set up. As for the stern deck and the infamous crack, perhaps stripping the paint to bare wood and covering the crack with some gauze or tissue soaked in resin may do the trick. Once sanded back, the crack should disappear and look seamless; and resist movement caused by temperature fluctuations. Well, that's the theory anyway!

Just a thought...

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

a big thanks to every one for the likes and the kind comments :)   I'd have been around yesterday,  but my monitor decided to kick the bucket.........I'm reduced to using our old stand-by........a 12 X 12 LG VGA monitor.   everything looks so tiny  :D  :D

a warm hello to you Sal.......always glad to see new faces.  I try to be as descriptive as I can.  if someone benefits from the info.......I feel that's a big plus  ;)

that bevy of chain Carl is for the trawl rig.....or a major part of it.  as a matter of fact,  I bought some more Friday......another type...'antique copper'.   I'm always on the look-out for something cool ;)   as for the engine......I want to pull the heads to see if there is any piston damage.....and to see if the right side head has been replaced as well.   I'll go with anything that's cheaper to do.   it's a wait and see thing.

I'll keep that in mind Patrick.......I would like to do something about it  ;)   I've even thought of filling them with white glue and dusting them with fine sawdust.  could also be a case of the wood shrinking.

I did a bit more on Friday......most of it had to do with the aft section of of the trawl rig.   there is a bit of framework involved with it.   first went the outer support framing.

post-612-0-64531600-1425173958.jpg

the rest of it was soldered in place...I used a file ans sandpaper to clean it up.

post-612-0-93152700-1425174038.jpg

a brass pin was installed at the base of the scaffold and dry fitted in place.   there is still a bit more to add to it before it sees any paint.

post-612-0-28429100-1425174127.jpg

the portholes were finally put where they belong.....before they got lost on the table

post-612-0-57102900-1425174186.jpg

post-612-0-53529600-1425174199.jpg

the second picture shows the  'glass'  better,  I think  ;)     the front support bar was added to the first section of the trawl rig.......still more to go.

post-612-0-00124700-1425174324.jpg

as for the hold.....simulated hinges were added and painted.   it is now permanently in place on the main deck

post-612-0-38989200-1425174385.jpg

all was fine until I attempted to add the eye 'shackles' to the top of the aft section of the trawl rig.   I ended up cutting the botched top off and fitting another one.

post-612-0-76634400-1425174515.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The little details you're adding is making her stand out nicely Dennis! Makes me feel like a little kid that can't wait for the end result. Are we there yet?  :D

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Those portholes look real nice !!

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I'm with Frank........love the portholes.  Really sharp on that green background.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

It's fascinating to watch this all come together, Popeye.  Looking forward to seeing the trawl rig up and installed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)