ROYAL CAROLINE 1749 by Doris - 1:40 - CARD

Your students are very lucky to have you as there teacher. The learning and advice that you can offer them is worth its weight in gold. I enjoy watching your builds since I first became a member of MSW 1 back in 2008 and since then you never let me down, I am always amaze at your talent and work. Thank you for coming back. Keep the pictures coming.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Doris -

I am somewhat new to the MSW site and still working my way through all of the wonderful build logs.  Yours is one of the best.  Thank you for sharing your progress.  I will follow it with interest.

Be well

Dan Pariser

Current build -SS Mayaguez (c.1975) scale 1/16" = 1' (1:192) by Dan Pariser

Prior scratch builds - Royal yacht Henrietta, USS Monitor, USS Maine, HMS Pelican, SS America, SS Rex, SS Uruguay, Viking knarr, Gokstad ship, Thames River Skiff , USS OneidaSwan 42 racing yacht  Queen Anne's Revenge (1710) SS Andrea Doria (1952), SS Michelangelo (1962) , Queen Anne's Revenge (2nd model) USS/SS Leviathan (1914),  James B Colgate (1892),  POW bone model (circa 1800) restoration

Prior kit builds - AL Dallas, Mamoli Bounty. Bluejacket America, North River Diligence, Airfix Sovereign of the Seas

"Take big bites.  Moderation is for monks."  Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Doris,

I'd always thought your models were excellent until I clicked on one of the pics above of the carvings in the bow - the High Resolution pic looks ..... INCREDIBLE :huh::omg: . That's WAY beyond excellent.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Hello dear friends,
I am very privileged reading your words and recognition. Thank you very much for your comments, i appreciate them a lot.

Very nice details and scientific approach on the draft scale. Noted you had 30 cm snow, thats a real white easter !

Regards,

John

Hello John,

I prefer to make more realistic models to express admiration to our ancestors who were able to build these beautiful ships and sail with them on the sea. I am very grateful to all people, who give me useful advices to achieve more realistic and better result.

And this year we had really white Easter. It was snowing during all day and in the evening there was almost 50 cm of snow. The pics on Czech forum comes from the morning (with only 30cm of snow).

Your students are very lucky to have you as there teacher. The learning and advice that you can offer them is worth its weight in gold. I enjoy watching your builds since I first became a member of MSW 1 back in 2008 and since then you never let me down, I am always amaze at your talent and work. Thank you for coming back. Keep the pictures coming.

I am really pleased, i can share my hobby with other people.  I also find here a lot of great models and inspiration in various threads. And BTW - I want to improve my English - sometimes it is difficult to find the right terms and describe exactly all things..... So excuse please my mistakes.

Doris -

I am somewhat new to the MSW site and still working my way through all of the wonderful build logs.  Yours is one of the best.  Thank you for sharing your progress.  I will follow it with interest.

Be well

Dan Pariser

Thank you for you kind words. I will be working on Royal Caroline at least another year and i am going to bring tutorials, how to create various things on the model.

Hi Doris,

I'd always thought your models were excellent until I clicked on one of the pics above of the carvings in the bow - the High Resolution pic looks ..... INCREDIBLE :huh::omg: . That's WAY beyond excellent.

Hello Dany,

I am honoured, you like my sculpting. In this scale (1/40) it is more enjoyable making details insluding sculpting. I learned and trained a lot during Sovereign of the seas scratch build - there i had to create about 2200pieces of gilded ornaments and sculptures. I wanted to continue with this work (i really like it) on my next project, so i decided to build Royal Caroline - she has also extensive decoration.

Best regards,

Doris

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

HMS Royal Katherine 1664 from card

I will be working on Royal Caroline at least another year and i am going to bring tutorials, how to create various things on the model.

YES PLEASE - all your Tutorials on how you make those (words fail me - brilliant, superb, etc etc) Carving moldings were lost in the Crash. We'd love to see your method again - along with all the other great tips you had on before.

By the way - your English is very good ... a lot better than my Czech (I don't know one word of Czech :D ).

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Thank you for your comments, Danny and Sjors.

To Danny:  No problem to explain how I create this or that. I usually take some pics (sometimes videos) from the process - it is better to understand the tutorial and description.

After two days of careful work i have finished the capstan - it is made according to plans from the book Anatomy of Royal Caroline.

post-1353-0-37159200-1365503614_thumb.jpg

I used wood (nut), card and self-adhesive foils (with wooden and gilded look - for the star on the top). The nail heads are created with thick colour ( gun metal + flat black - mini acrylic paint from Tamiya). For application I use a metal tip from micro-pencil (0,3mm).

20130408212947-202695-v.jpg

20130408212930-202694-v.jpg

20130408212912-202693-v.jpg

20130408212845-202692-v.jpg 20130408212826-202691-v.jpg 20130408212806-202690-v.jpg 20130408212746-202689-v.jpg

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

Again, an accurate beauty Doris.

Regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Karl I wish to Thank you for the pictures, I have seen them before but never save them ( this time I made sure I did ). The man is a Master Ship Builder.

Doris, I also still have a hard time believing that this is card. From your pictures you make it look to easy and as we all know it isn't. You are outstanding in every way with your builds. Thank you for sharing. Keep the pictures coming, I will always be watching.

Wacko

Joe :D

Go MSW :) :)

Hi Doris.......  I'm just flabergasted everytime I look at your work, you'er amazing....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hello dear friends!

Thank you very much for your comments and kind words, that´s a great honour for me and also a large motivation and commitment

to build my models as well as possible to be worthy of your words.

For making models I use mostly card/paper (I prefer it, because i have a lot of experience with this material and do not need any special tools). Some details are made of wood (nut or fruit trees) to reach more solid/stronger result or sometimes it looks better and the work is easier than using paper. For example the lower part of capstan is wooden

20130408212746-202689-n.jpg

but the upper round part is completely made of paper and finished with self-adhesive foils that look like a real wood. The star on the top is also made of foil.

The base under the capstan is made of card and also modified by wooden-look foils. The small wedges on the base are wooden.

Crew members and all decoration on the model are hand made from modeling clay (FIMO). I do not use 3D printer ( but it is perfect machine, i know...). I prefer (and i like it more) to create anything on the model by my own. I know, there are mistakes and things i should improve, so I have still motivation to search new ways and techniques.....
I have no special tools and workroom, so I try to use the simplest way and process as possible.  Here are most of my tools and things i use for making models:

20080318134649-11480-v.jpg

Kind regards,

Doris

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

Doris,

I am at one with BE. The small number of tools you use compared to mine put me to shame. I think you demonstrate the importance of a good imagination when determining how to tackle a task.

You remind me of an artist teacher friend of mine. His artistic flair means he, like you, can produce masterful work with very basic materials, particularly when handling different paint pigments to get the right colours. I fear this is an ability that is inherited rather than learnt so I will have to continue with my trunk full of tools! :)

Ian M.

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello dear friends,

I appreciate your comments a lot and thank you for your support. It is sometimes hard to make various things of wood or metal without suitable tools. So i prefer to use card/ paper as a main material for my models.

BUT, for my models I naturally need some accessories made of wood and here i cooperate with people who offer CNC accessories in a high quality for ship models.

Here are some accessories that I bought in our country from Radek Beseda.

20130420155010-203972-v.jpg

20130420155102-203975-v.jpg

20110319091116-111286-v.jpg

20110319091054-111285-v.jpg

20110319091008-111283-v.jpg

20121002182518-176519-v.jpg

He also sends these CNC blocks and other things and models to foreign countries, so if you are interested, you can look through his web pages and contact him. I am very satisfied with his approach and willingness.

http://www.radekshipmodels.cz/en/

http://www.radekshipmodels.cz/en/list-of-kits-and-accessories/accessory---blocks

Edited by DORIS

Doris

Current build:

And now Royal Caroline...

I have finished another extension before the main cabin and made again the gilded crowns on the doors ( the new ones are better i suppose... :) ) and also finished the hand pumps.

20130413201007-203106-v.jpg

20130413133820-203075-n.jpg20130413133840-203076-n.jpg20130413133857-203077-n.jpg20130413133915-203078-n.jpg20130413133938-203079-n.jpg20130413134013-203080-n.jpg20130413134035-203081-n.jpg20130413134056-203082-n.jpg

20130413134113-203083-v.jpg

Doris

Current build:

as always, beautiful work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

such lovely work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

The hand pumps are modified compared to plans. I made them according to advice and a picture, that sent me Captain KL., who helps me to achieve more realistic result.

http://modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=177&t=68385&start=510#p1445380

There was a too little space between pumps and the walls/corners (refer the picture from Anatomy of RC).

post-1353-0-87356400-1366790658_thumb.jpg

post-1353-0-90891100-1366790699_thumb.jpg

Modified handpump:

post-1353-0-03057100-1366790711_thumb.jpg

20130416221509-203691-v.jpg

20130416221441-203689-n.jpg20130416221455-203690-n.jpg20130416221557-203693-n.jpg20130416221630-203695-n.jpg

20130416221542-203692-v.jpg 20130416221613-203694-v.jpg

20130416221648-203696-v.jpg

Doris

Current build: