SMS WESPE 1876 by wefalck – 1/160 scale - Armored Gunboat of the Imperial German Navy - as first commissioned

Work on the cutter stalled for a good two weeks due to an unexpected event: we went down to Spain to spend a week there and – in spite of all the precautions and safety-measures we took for the past two-and-a-half years and having been vaccinated three times, on the flight the virus caught up with me and my wife. Flu-symptoms with throat-ache, a light fever and general fatigue. We had to extend our stay by a week, until we tested negative. Still rather tired and bothered by a cough … at least we can relax a bit more for the next half year or so until the immunity declines again… 

Planking of the cutter continued …

This work continued as before, eye-balling the run and spacing. I am not sure that I got the spacing at the bows quite right, as the planking is sweeping more up at the bows, than expected. As noted above, the forward section was more difficult than the rear section.

image.png.1c33226b7dc15d843fc14244e4ab04c2.png

Clamping the planks tight at the bows

Once the planking was complete, the stem- and stern-post (or rather the deadwood) areas were cleaned up and sanded to match the stem- and keel-pieces. The planks were also sanded flush to the transom.

image.png.1a1f3d841c20d328aa276efc65ba8de4.png

Planking complete and cleaned up 

image.png.29f728da078392a862c930145a0071fa.png

Planking complete and cleaned up

The stem-keel-piece was laminated from three layers of laser-cut Canson-paper and lacquered into place on the boat. The outside contur was then cleaned up using a diamond nail-file. These files are very useful for the purpose. However, after a few strokes the freshly exposed paper has to be consolidated again with varnish to prevent it from fraying.

Like the gig, the cutter had a rubbing strake running along the lower edge of the top strake. This was simulated again using a 0.2 mm copper-wire lacquered into place.

Due to the charring from the laser-cutting process, it is difficult to see, whether there are any gaps between the stem-keel-piece and the boat as such. I probably will apply a thin coat of paint to be better able to see any imperfections, that then will be filled with putty.

image.png.61c9b7e605a94292403e38f4ec7debc0.png

The completed cutter

image.png.a14b8ac9c14cb2d15fbaf32b78f0d2d7.png

The completed cutter

image.png.d33db7e5cbd71a334133e51f2dd2a85e.png

The completed cutter

Overall, I a reasonably pleased how the cutter turned out so far and the strategy to attach stem-post and keel after planking is complete has paid off.

To be continued ....

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Eberhard, sorry to hear your covid news. It is starting to feel like my wife and I will be the last ones standing. No doubt our turn will come soon. The planking looks excellent, very impressive.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Hopr you are back up to speed now, Eberhard. That virus is no fun, even if you are fully vaccinated.

That planking is something at that small scale. One question though: Canson paper (at least the kind that I know and use for art) has one side smooth but the other side is heavily textured. Isn't this an issue at micro scale size?

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

David, Canson is indeed a French manufacturer, who's traditions can be traced back into the 16th century and the Brothers Montgolfier were members of that family. The company offers a broad range of technical and fine arts papers. It seems that in Germany a heavily calandered and dyed in the material paper is sold under the denomination 'Canson-Paper', which is why I used this term.

In my case it is their Iris® Vivaldi® with a weight of 120 g/m2, which is perfectly smooth on both sides.

And: thanks for the kind comments !

wefalck

Eberhard, sorry that you and your wife contracted Covid, the both of you get well soon. The cutter is a little jewel. 

The cutter is amazing. Take care of yourself and your wife.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Just goes to show that no matter how cautious you are, it can still get you.  Glad to hear you are recovering.

The cutter is coming along beautifully; I really like the idea of the Styrofoam packing to maintain the shape as you plank.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

I'm happy to hear that the symptoms were mild and both of you are getting better.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you to all of you for your kind wishes !

It seems that we have here in France a new subvariant of Omikron that is more contagious, with a shorter incubation period, but generally weaker, but symptoms of longer duration. The paradoxical situation is that the number of daily new cases is four to five times higher than at the beginning of 2021, when we went into full lock-down, but the government basically lifted all restrictions - masks are only required in public transport. Perhaps they think with 70% of the population vaccinated, they can manage the number of cases having to go into intensive care ... 

wefalck

Thanks for your comments on Canson paper., Eberhard. I've never seen Iris/Vivaldi over here' only the much heavier, through-dyed paper which is excellent for colored pencil work. 

Hopefully you will stay healthy now....

1.jpg

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Glad to hear you are Ok. The cutter looks great. Saturday I epoxied the little dingy  for. Amapa. Hope it comes out well. 

Ras

Current builds:

Stern Paddle Wheeler ZULU-1916-1/48 scale

Previous builds:

Freccia Celeste-1927 350cc racing motorcycle-1:9 scale-Protar kit

Boeing B17F- 1/72 scale- Hasegawa kit

HMS Mimi-scale 1/24-Fast Motor Launch                               

Amapá 1907-1/64 scale-Brazilian Customs Cruiser

Scottish Motor Fifie. 1/32 scale. Amati kit

Patricia. Steam powered R/C launch. 1/12 scale. Krick Kit

African Queen. Steam powered  R/C launch. 1/24 scale. Billings ki

Emma C. Berry. Sailing fishing smack. 1/32 scale. Model Shipways kit.

Eberhard, 

Sorry to hear the virus has caught up with you and hopefully you and your wife will fully recover soon, Good to see that it hasn't had any effect on your micro-modelling skills.

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

In the meantime I am healthwise quite normal again. Progress was hampered by a short business trip to Germany ...

Further completion of the cutter

The hull was now cut off the ‘building-board’ and the infilling and the bulkheads shaped in a way I think the tarpaulin-covered sailing-gear, oars etc. which would be stowed in the boat would have looked like.

image.png.f5b985fbb9b4d240323d885510b5be03.png

The hull with the shaped ‘interior’

The use of toilet-paper to simulate the tarpaulin had only be moderately successful, but I remembered just in time, that a few months ago I had purchased some very light-weight (9 g/m2) Japanese silk-paper as a basis for sails.

image.png.15e7f6230e0f6f3622a5cf2aadd9c0a2.png

Very light-weight Japanese silk-paper

An appropriate piece was cut, draped over the boat and thoroughly wetted with zapon-varnish. It was glued in place so that it just covered the top-strake down to the rubbing strake. Once dry, it was trimmed back with a new scalpel blade to just the rubbing strake.

image.png.e20853c5013caca50a059dbe7ed2ea3c.png

The cutter with tarpaulin in place, before painting

Installing the rudder while the gig was on the davits turned out to be misconception on my side, the boats were stowed with the rudder unshipped. So this time I only simulated the lower pintle with some flattened wire and a wire upright.

Finally, the cutter was ready for painting and was given a good coat of Vallejo model-air ‘white’ all over.

image.png.c11c9730629f6aa085e9afd1750b6448.png

The painted cutter

In the next step the second strake from the top was painted in black, as the regulations in force at the time demanded that the two topmost strakes to be black.

image.png.941fe3e5908ffa105f20ab6a03f40ec4.png

The painted cutter

The tarpaulin the was given a wash of Vallejo white with a dash of Vallejo model-air ‘hemp’.

Finally the two hoisting-rings made from twisted, tinned 0.2 mm copper wire were installed.

image.png.f258e74f64930e9931bce635569ff1f7.png

The painted cutter

To be continued ....

wefalck

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Eberhard. The tarpaulin looks very convincing and I look forward to seeing the cutter hanging from her davits. 

Edited by Keith Black

34 minutes ago, wefalck said:

The tarpaulin the was given a wash of Vallejo white with a dash of Vallejo model-air ‘hemp’.

Eberhard. Beautiful job - to my eye much more realistic than the previous one. Practice makes perfect.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Your time away to recover has certainly not diminished your skills Eberhard; looks great!

cheers

Pat

Glad to hear you are well. Your little boat is precious. I am close to that to doing a similar job on my Amapá.

Ras

Current builds:

Previous builds:

Beautiful work on the Cutter Eberhard. I have been playing around with simulating tarps as well. I don't have any Japanese silk paper on hand, but so far I have found that two-ply Kleenex saturated with a 50/50 water and Elmer's glue solution has been working great. Glad to see that you are healthy and back at it.

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

• 3 weeks later...

Your cutter and the tarp look great.  Quite an effort for such a small object, but certainly worth it. 

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

Eberhard

Beautiful clinkering job (especially on this mini version) for the cutter

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 3 weeks later...

The shipyard has been on a somewhat extended summer-shutdown, including the drawing-office (which was not quite planned so, but the heat at my abode in Spain, just made me not feel like working too much on the computer …).

Thank you very much for all the likes and encouragement that has been accumulating since the last update!

The Jolly-Boat

Rather than doing the second cutter, I am now tackling the jolly-boat. This is the smallest boat of the complement, at 6 m (= 19’8”). I am in for challenge, as I plan to build this open and fully equipped, ready to be lowered in case of man-over-board or a similar emergency.

I did not find an earlier drawing, but the drawing in the 1911 issue of the ‘BRIX’ is quite detailed, although it is for the karweel-planked version, while I will kit out WESPE all with clinker-built boats. It appears that the frames are drawn to the inside of the planking, which is exactly what I need. The arrangements for the keel and stem-/stern-post will be somewhat different from what I did for the other boats, as the bulkheads will only act as formers.

image.png.3ce632c871d5063036a6bc6562d0a328.png

Drawing of Class 1 jolly-boat from Brix (1911)

The laser-cut framework will be infilled with hard foam (Rohacell™) as before and then covered in cling-film to prevent the frames etc. from sticking to it. Below is the laser-cutting template for the main structural components. The thin strips on the right will become the ‘bent-in’ frames. Other parts will be drawn to fit as I am going along.

image.png.02ee7a04b67bf1667e018775d0f2fc6c.png

Laser-cutting templates for the formers and main structural components of the jolly-boat.

I will also need to still draw a base-board for the construction process, that has notches for the upper ends of the frames to rest in.

To be continued ....

wefalck

58 minutes ago, wefalck said:

19’8”

To scale = 1.48 inches........oh my goodness.

Well this should be a jolly little project. 😀

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Mate, you don't like making life easy for yourself do you?

I'm looking forward to this.

Looking forward to your jolly boat. I had a hard time making mine for Amapá at almost twice you scale.

Ras

Current builds:

Previous builds:

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies to all, who visited over the past three weeks this building log and found that nothing happened. Real life gets in our way quite often and also a bit of travelling for fun … 

Jolly-Boat continued

The main pieces for the core over which this boat will be constructed as plank-on frame build were laser-cut from Canson-paper and assembled in the manner described previously. The spaces between the bulkheads were filled with hard acrylic foam (Rohacell™) and the foam sanded back to the bulkheads using diamond needle files. Some gaps were filled with putty and then the whole thing soaked in wood sanding-filler to provide a hard surface.

image.png.e7d4dc85efd7e774db954908f9cba2dc.png

Core for the POF construction

The keel-stem combination and the transom were also cut out by laser in two copies to be stuck together to arrive at the correct thickness.

image.png.5bbbcc237ecd97493cba0581e5a5cc7e.png

The back-bone of the jolly-boat

A base’board’ for building was cut from the same paper in double and the two copies stuck together for more rigidity. This baseboard had holes laser-cut in for the bent frames in order to give the exact spacing as per plan.

The core then was covered in a layer of cling-film to prevent the lacquer to be used during the construction from sticking to the core (hopefully). Using again very thin double-sided mounting tape, the core was stuck to the baseboard.

The bent frames were cut using the laser to the required width of 0.2 mm which translates at 1:160 scale to a width of 32 mm. They should be only 0.1 mm thick (15 mm in the original), but the paper is a tad thicker. These frames were inserted into the pre-cut holes and aligned carefully. Then the keel-stem-transom assembly was lacquered into place. It should be noted that there are a couple of cant-frames that but against the keel/stem, rather than running under it.

image.png.7f5222685c3d94d5f5e23b8615d16546.png

The framed structure

It should be noted that this is the reverse construction order compared to the original. The clinker-built boat would be built over a couple of templates, with the planks going in first and the frames bent in afterwards. I chose this method, because having the frames in place is likely to make a stronger shell, when trying to remove it from the core.

image.png.9e4231e674e4050383dd29dc50ac22e0.png

The garboard-plank installed

On any clinker-built boat the garboard-plank is the most difficult to install due to its torsion and bending. Here it was no exception. It needed a fair amount of coercion, but it looks promising.

I only hope, that I will be able to remove the shell from the core in the end …

To be continued ....

image.png

wefalck

The copper clamping wire at the top of the frames seems to be working very well. I await the core removal with anticipation, good luck.

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Looking forward to seeing this little project progress Eberhard, especially the way you tackle them - I have some small boats to do soon also, so I hope you don't mind me poaching your techniques :)

cheers

Pat