Rainbow by Omega1234 - FINISHED - J-Class Racing Yacht

Hi Andrew

What a great photo and many thanks for posting it. Kinda makes me wish I was born with a bit more cash in my back pocket so that I could actually buy the real boat! It's a dream, I know.

All the best and thanks for stopping by to join in Rainbow's jouney.

Cheers

Patrick

I have spent the season chasing  The Rainbow and today I caught up with the iPhone specie;y to post for your build which I have been following with great interest fantastic job

The yacht was built in Holland at HJB They are launching another J very soon late spring 

Watching them sail is breath taking

As for "MORE CASH" at least you have a yacht you can afford!!!! and dockage will not require you to sell your first born etc

Best 

Andy

post-173-0-65241500-1429316142_thumb.jpg

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Hi Andrew

Many thanks! That's another great photo of a beautiful boat. As real as it gets; being that close to snap that photo. When you say that you've "spent the season chasing Rainbow...", you must have the best job in the world! I can only imagine what it must be like to see one of the J's up close. Like you said, breathtaking must be the best way to describe it.

Thanks and all the very best!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

The J boat association is at odds with its self apparently some of the "Rich Kids" have thrown there toys Out of the PRAM" and racing between them is on hold

There where meant to be 5 "J" racing this winter at the Antigua Classic regatta but only Rainbow came, The owner is a great supporter of the event.

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Hi everyone

There's not a hell of a lot left to do on Rainbow, apart from the final suit of sails, railings on the port side of the hull and finishing off the rigging. Well, tonight, I managed to do some of those niggly yet visually important things like Rainbow's beautiful gold cove-stripe which runs from bow to stern and accentuates her sheer line. As well as that, I added the strip of red that sits just above the waterline from bow to stern. As you'll see from the photos, I'll still need to clean up the paint on the waterline itself. It looks a tad rough. Lastly, I also added the flag pole which adornes Rainbow's stern (still requires finishing off though). I might leave that for another night, though.

All the best everyone.

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-82509500-1429360810_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-92113900-1429360827_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-11455100-1429360843_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-67824900-1429360859_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-35787900-1429360876_thumb.jpg

Ahah! Igor, trying to do the gold cove stripe was one of the things that was perplexing me the most. Hence why I left it to the very last.

After many ideas that failed, I settled on buying some gold coloured pin striping for cars. I then cut the thinnest strip I could possibly do with the scalpel. It took quite a few attempts before I got it right, but I think it looks ok.

Sometimes the easiest solution often turns out to be the best!

Hope you're going well.

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick!

I could not make an indentation with smooth edges.

P.S. From Dykstra & Naval Architects - JH2 Rainbow 1st at the first race of the Antigua Classic Yacht Regatta!11150465_888675134531377_287060563039882

You can read more here - http://antiguaclassics.com/v1/index.php/over-the-rainbow/

All I can say is beautiful striping.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Great job Patrick, There is a trick I learned about striping and that is after you mask it off you paint the same color that is already there, that will seal the edges of your masking material, after it dries you paint the color you want on the stripe. the edges turn out to be really sharp. try to peel your masking off pulling to the sides and not straight up, You may try it on a piece of scrap first to try it out. I have had really good luck with that method. Can't wait to see future updates.

Happy modeling,

Marty G.

the pin striping looks awesome Patrick!  it really adds to the beauty of the hull.   I'd love to see you do a larger scale of this vessel.   you need not do the inner detail.......the outer detail will speak for itself!   awesome job!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi everyone

Many thanks for all of your Likes and encouragement!  Greatly appreciated as always.

Dennis - I'd love to do a larger scale model of Rainbow, or any J Boat for that matter.  Unfortunately, I'm running out of room in the house.  In fact all but two of my RC yachts (e.g. a 3 masted clipper, a yawl, a schooner and a motor yacht are all sitting in my garden shed, in various states of disrepair.  After more than 25 years, they've taken a back seat to kids, family, etc, etc.  I'm afraid that larger scale yachts are off the agenda at the moment.  Maybe one day, things may change...

Buck - Thanks for your compliments and comments.  I'm not sure of the exact measurement and how it'd convert into inches; but in millimetres, it's approximately .5 mm in width.  I was able to cut thinner pieces, but they were so fragile that they'd just tear apart in my fingers when I'd try to apply it to the hull.  Therefore, .5mm was the thinnest practical measurement that I could do successfully.

Hope this helps and all the best!

Cheers

Patrick

Great work Patrick,

Just caught up with your build. Small, but wonderful ... should be with a Dutch Yacht ... love the detail you've established in this build, and the interior view from the side.

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

She is looking Sweet Patrick, Beautiful work 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hi Jeff

That's very high praise indeed. I guess the only thing that's stopping me from giving an SIB a go is the risk of choosing the wrong type of bottle. Knowing me, I'd probably choose one that distorts the view so much, that the overall effect would be spoilt.

But, you know, never say never!

Thanks and all the very best!

Patrick

Great work Patrick,

Just caught up with your build. Small, but wonderful ... should be with a Dutch Yacht ... love the detail you've established in this build, and the interior view from the side.

Hi Carl

Many thanks for your comments and all the Likes!

I also liked your comment about the Dutch yachts. They always have so much character and charm, which makes them really appealing subjects to model.

All the best

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Patrick

After your kind comments on my early progress, I had to go visit your build.  wow .....I was amazed working through the process...  bringing the interior up to such a level adds the human touch to such a classic design.  One can now dream about sailing on a real J boat ha ha .  Your log  was fun and interesting and view.  

Anyway great build and great log.  best of luck

jond

Edited by Jond

Hi Jond

Many, many thanks and greatly appreciated.  Building Rainbow was/is an absolute joy.  There's not a single line in her hull that I'd like to change.  Just beautiful, she is.

All the best for your build and I'm definitely looking forward to your next update.

Enjoy.

Cheers

Patrick, I am catching up again , very nice touch with the stripes, looking forward to the final suit of sails and the overall final shots. What I am wondering is how are you going to do the water and the people like the shot that Igor posted? ;)

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi everyone

Many thanks to everyone for all of your Likes and comments, all of which are greatly appreciated.

A special thanks to Igor who sent me the packing film that I was able to use for the sails.  I've now had a go at using this material, with the results being shown below.

In terms of the reinforcement panels, I glued two layers of panels onto the sails, which served to provide strength and also rigidity to the sails.  I think the result looks ok and worth the effort.

The sails still require final fitting and cleaning up, but I hope you'll enjoy the photos.

All the best!

Cheers

Patrick

post-7645-0-15923400-1429978395_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-76882400-1429978400_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-38902300-1429978406_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-46650100-1429978413_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-33542000-1429978420_thumb.jpg

post-7645-0-11419300-1429978427_thumb.jpg