Sovereign of The Seas by SawdustDave - FINISHED

G'day Dave

I love your enhancement of the lantern. It proves that you can improve on excellence!

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Super stuff there Dave, I love it.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Thanks for the visit BV, Patrick, Greg, Bill and Mobbsie.

Most say, the transom lantern is such a critical piece to the overall appearance of the iconic stern of the SOS, if necessary, I would have built it several more times to get it right.

As model fixtures go, I would put this one among the most difficult scratch builds I personally have ever tackled. Bill might agree with that assessment.... told me he did the little top three times.

Off to a good morning...

Three new carvings to fill in the panels on the transom.....only 25 to go before I can attach the transom module to the stern.

Had to interrupt progress in order to chase a little round ball around a course with sticks ill designed for the appointed task.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

I like version 2 very much but do like the dome on version 1, looks like the dome on some of the old Florentine cathedrals.  Nice work Dave.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

I like version 2 very much but do like the dome on version 1, looks like the dome on some of the old Florentine cathedrals.  Nice work Dave.

Cheers,

I too preferred the more rounded dome shape Pete.... I lost the contour with all the grinding I did to keep the 8-sided shape tapering from bottom to top.

Anyhow.... AIN'T DOING HER AGIN!

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Transom Complete........

All transom carvings completed and the lantern now fitted.

post-11777-0-71443900-1459713772_thumb.jpg

Think I might should take a little break before I begin to tackle the transom counter.  It appears to be pretty straight forward.

Mostly, I just need to do a few more cannon ports and some tree nailing as a change of routine.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Unbelievable....sort of pulls the breath right out of you.   Excellent work, Dave.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Very nicely done Dave, bravo.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Just awe-inspiring, Dave !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Eye popping.  Did you use gold leaf for the gilding or a paint?

David B

Dave B.... Good Q....

Considered melting down some of the Admiral's necklace's, ear rings, etc. (she would never miss them...RIGHT?)  

Na.... What a foolish question!

After experimenting with several different gold metallic paint options, looking for the brightest gold on the market, I landed on RUST-OLEUM - AMERICAN ACCENTS - 2X ULTRA COVER.... METALLIC bright gold (spray can).

I found it to be a noticeably brighter gold than any other I tried.

Purchased at Lowe's Home Improvement stores anywhere.

I first spray the parts by sticking them, face up, onto a piece of masking tape inside a paper plate.  After thirty minutes, carefully remove the sprayed parts, clean any paint flash from the edges, then lightly brush on a finish coat with my smallest detail brush.

Occasionally, the camera will point out a flaw in the way light is reflected on the surface, and I can refinish the flaw, even after the piece has been glued in place.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

The stern is looking amazing Dave. Can't wait to see the counter.

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Dave, beautiful work on the transom. Fantastic.

I like you plan, but don't ever get caught. You have to outlive the Admiral for it to play out. :o  Otherwise, methinks it would end badly, with you walking the plank in shark infested waters. ;):)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Ok.....nuff of the fun chat.

My Tarheels lost a heartbreaker at the buzzer....heck of a basketball game. I'm exhausted.

Back to ship building early in the morning.

Sawdust Dave -

G'day Dave

Bravo and ditto to all the above!

I can see many, many hours in the transom. You make it look so easy, it's the sign of a true craftman!

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Not much to report this morning.  I guess this posting is mainly just to say "good morning" to my MSW friends after a few days of not posting any progress.

Finally finished installing all of the gun port lids to the port side.... both sides now completed.  I'm not going to bore you with redundant pics of the same result seen in my earlier posting of the starboard side.

Planning to rig a few more main weather deck cannons today before moving back to sculpting the figures for the beak cowling.

I'm sure you all agree, it's great to see our friend Bill Short back in the shop after a long absence.  His SOS has been such an inspiration to me in my feeble effort.

Sawdust Dave -

I'm sure you all agree, it's great to see our friend Bill Short back in the shop after a long absence.  His SOS has been such an inspiration to me in my feeble effort.

Don't underestimate your achievement with The Sovereign Dave as there are very few who can say they have scratch built her and carved the ornamentation. Few indeed! 

Regards,

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Bill....As you know, we all tend to be our own worst critic....right?
While seeing virtually every single flaw in our own work, and wishing we had done a little different (cleaner, more precise, more accurate, etc.), we look at the clean perfect work of a fellow modeler as flawless examples of how we SHOULD have done it.

Personally, I consider this as a very good thing about having MSW friends.
Otherwise, how would we ever improve our skills.

:cheers:

Sawdust Dave -

I agree Dave!

Jesse

Edited by JesseLee

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Bill....As you know, we all tend to be our own worst critic....right?

While seeing virtually every single flaw in our own work, and wishing we had done a little different (cleaner, more precise, more accurate, etc.), we look at the clean perfect work of a fellow modeler as flawless examples of how we SHOULD have done it.

Personally, I consider this as a very good thing about having MSW friends.

Otherwise, how would we ever improve our skills.

:cheers:

Spot on, Dave!!!!  I wish I could hit the "like" button for that a 1000 times.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Progress update.....

Couple of quickie shots after finishing up all the gun ports....also note the tree nailing finally done.

post-11777-0-17630100-1460653213_thumb.jpg

Then, moving inboard, all of the main deck cannons have now been rigged.

post-11777-0-21860000-1460653383_thumb.jpg

Next, I'll be adding the tiny swabs and rams (so often neglected in models of war ships)...,.
Note:  This shot reminded me, I still need to add the quoins to each cannon carriage.

post-11777-0-07613300-1460653505_thumb.jpg

Trying to decide on the use of shot garlands, or brass monkey's for this ship.  I'm leaning toward shot garlands mounted on the bulwarks.  I can't find anything to tell me when brass monkey's came into use. 

Would appreciate any input from some of the historians on that issue.

Also playing around with some very small swab buckets and powder boxes.

From what I'm reading, the smaller deck demi cannons on the upper decks would have been supplied with shot boxes, rather than shot garlands or brass monkeys.  We'll cross that bridge whinst we arrive there.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

She looks great with all her teeth in place Dave! Must be a pleasant change of pace from doing all those carvings! :) Very nice! 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

G'day Dave

regarding your question "I'm leanings toward shot garlands mounted on the bulwarks.  I can't find anything to tell me when brass monkey's came into use." Well a few years ago I was researching the the saying 'cold enough to freeze the balls of a brass monkey' and I dicovered it came from the 15th century when the brass plate (brass monkey) would shrink faster than the steel canon balls, so hence came the saying. So to answer your question, it was between the 15 and 18th centuries when brass monkeys were used.

Hope ths helps.

Greg

Similar findings here Greg. 
Played around with both and concluded, I like the look of fixed shot garlands just above the base of the bulwarks and tend to believe that would have been the method used on the SOS..... sticking to it.  lol

Thanks for the input Mate.

Sawdust Dave -