Sovereign of The Seas by SawdustDave - FINISHED

Nice work there Sculpy Dave.  Beak head is coming along just splendidly, nice work.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Nice work there Sculpy Dave. Beak head is coming along just splendidly, nice work.

Cheers,

Great name! Love it. .....no more SAWDUSTDAVE,

Great workmanship on the planking. A great idea to use your ruler as a constant and even spacer. Another one in my memory vault! Havagooday

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

George, Piet, and Greg.... thanks for your visit as always.

Looks like I'll be fitting those tricky little bulwarks today so I can get on with some more sculpting and carving.

Real anxious to see her with a dressed up beak.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Beak-head construction....

A number of new developments over the last three days.  Stained the deck and catwalks.... added the bulwark cowlings and trimmed out the inboard side.... added the railing caps.... and finally, added the outboard panel moldings.

post-11777-0-21127800-1456970791_thumb.jpg

Note....The two corner carvings above the cowlings were tricky as heck and had to be done over two or three times to get them acceptable.

post-11777-0-63705400-1456970801_thumb.jpg

So I finally got to see this beast with a fully formed beak-head.... ready for ornamentation.

post-11777-0-21501700-1456970813_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Very impressive Dave!  Yes, I really like the corner carvings, well worth the effort.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Can't do my normal early morning shop time tomorrow..... Trip to Chapel Hill for a follow-up appointment with Dr. Pillsbury. He still has to repair the big hole in my left ear drum. Beginning to think this ear thing will never end. But then I'm just greatful to still be above ground, under the circumstances.

Later mates.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Best of luck bud, and I wish you the best. On the brightside it sounds like re-construction.....you could maybe show him a thing or two ;)  :)  :)

Love the bow Dave and I especially like the last shot showing the full hull.  Just amazing to see all these carvings in place!

Good luck at the Doc's today!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Let me add my best wishes, too. :10_1_10:

The SOS looks great, Dave. They sure built them ornate back then. :) :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hope things go well at the Dr. & he gets your ear taken care of Dave.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

About to leave Dr. Pillsbury's office.... All good news. Now talking about repairing the hole in my ear drum in a couple of months.

Thanks for dropping in guys, and for all the personal good wishes from my MSW family of friends.

Three hours (drive time plus lunch stop) from now, I can be back in the ship yard.

Sawdust Dave -

Glad to hear the good!! news........ Now , get back to modeling!! :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

That's not a beast, Dave.  It's a thing of beauty...  

And that's excellent news from the Doc.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good to hear the good news Dave!  Fixing that hole in your ear drum is a piece of cake, a small piece of catgut and CA and presto, a new eardrum  ;) 

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Frank, George, Mark.... good to be back in the shop this evening for sure.

Good to hear the good news Dave!  Fixing that hole in your ear drum is a piece of cake, a small piece of catgut and CA and presto, a new eardrum  ;)

Cheers,

Tried that one Piet.... began growing long whiskers and licking my paws.  Pretty sure it had something to do with the cat gut plug.  Also tried to plug it with a dowel....didn't work either, just made the hole bigger.  Guess I'll have to go with my hero Dr. P on this one.

Sawdust Dave -

I am glad everything is working out Dave..  Has your hearing been affected any?

David B

Edited by dgbot

Morning sunshine (actually a little overcast in our part of NC)

I am glad everything is working out Dave..  Has your hearing been affected any?

David B

Lost about 70% in that ear DaveB.... should get a good bit of that back after repair surgery.  It's been so long now, I hardly notice it during the day.

Sawdust Dave -

All best wishes from me, Dave. All will be OK

Edited by Nenad

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Re-sizing port side gun ports....

Before proceeding with the beak-head ornamentation, I decided to turn my focus to the twenty four unfinished gun ports on the port side. 

The last five days have been spent building the frames and lids that must be retro-fitted into the openings originally cut according to the plan sheets.  Again.... after discovering the scaling issue with each.

The first two pics showing the creation of very small lid rings from staples....

post-11777-0-10224200-1457358449_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-72461000-1457358455_thumb.jpg

Construction of the closed lid module (left) and the open lid module (right) ....

post-11777-0-74892100-1457358462_thumb.jpg

Carefully measured re-sizing of each port opening....

post-11777-0-67320700-1457358472_thumb.jpg

post-11777-0-30772700-1457358483_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Awesome work Dave!

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Nice work Dave.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

The most challenging phase begins....

Working a little each day on finishing out the gun ports for the port side, I decided to begin working toward the very essence of the SOS.... her magnificent stern.

I consider the stern structure, with all the ornate carvings / sculpting, to be the most challenging part of this project.  Even as I begin the process of laying out and fitting the large stern panel, I am a little intimidated by the complexity and beauty of the decorations as depicted by a number of very fine artists.

As with every other process, I have begun with the usual....another rip-out and re-do.... not too bad this time.

I've known for quite some time, the aft ends of the poop deck railings were cut off too short and would not properly flush up with the stern bulkhead because I did not account for the rake of the stern plate at the time.  After considering a possible "patch in" section, I decided against that option due to the clear visibility of this part of the structure.

So I began last night by ripping off the original railings, along with the stanchions.  Luckily, no major damage

post-11777-0-74057100-1457559251_thumb.jpg

Spent last evening and this morning, building and fitting the new rails....

post-11777-0-50109700-1457558400_thumb.jpg

This is the pattern layout for the stern plate I will primarily trim out and decorate off ship.

post-11777-0-00003800-1457558817_thumb.jpg

The lantern housing that fits atop the stern railing looks like a ton of modeling fun.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

The new rails look great Dave! It looks like you have your work cut out for you with the stern there, but I know you've got a handle on it. :)  

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild