Sovereign of The Seas by SawdustDave - FINISHED

Good to see you back Dave.  Some nice rope work you are doing, it's all downhill from here - - - ummmm, except for the clove hitches that is ;)

Great to hear that you joined that model group and kindle a fire for wooden tall ship building or any kind of wooden ship.  Good luck with the show.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Great to see my old mate Mr. Piet dropping in for a visit.  Wish you could join me on this one Pete....should be a real blast.

Took a few update shots this morning, with only four days to have her "more finished" for the road trip....

All channels have now been rigged with dead eyes and chains.... 56 of them.
post-11777-0-26876600-1469904203.jpg

All dead eyes have now been rigged with shrouds....
Note that the main mast top has been added.
post-11777-0-84375000-1469904249.jpg

Currently working on completing the three remaining tops.  Note - there are over 80 custom cut and shaped parts to these little tops.

post-11777-0-82886500-1469904274.jpg

post-11777-0-58037500-1469904299.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Great to see my old mate Mr. Piet dropping in for a visit.  Wish you could join me on this one Pete....should be a real blast.

Took a few update shots this morning, with only four days to have her "more finished" for the road trip....

All channels have now been rigged with dead eyes and chains.... 56 of them.

attachicon.gifchannels5.JPG

All dead eyes have now been rigged with shrouds....

Note that the main mast top has been added.

attachicon.giftops3.JPG

Currently working on completing the three remaining tops.  Note - there are over 80 custom cut and shaped parts to these little tops.

attachicon.giftops1.JPG

attachicon.giftop3.JPG

Hi Dave

Nice work!  Whilst the tops may have over 80 parts, each one of them is a labour of love.

Good luck with the road trip and the competition.

Cheers

Patrick 

Hi Dave, she looks more like ship now, beautiful work.  And yes, it would have been a blast joining you on this trip but alas we'll have to forfeit it this time.  I have a few doctor appointments too, nothing serious, just routine checks.

Wish you the best of luck and take plenty of pics to share with us.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks for all the visits and "likes" guys.  
Plenty of pics for sure Piet.

Rapidly running out of time.  Should wrap up the remaining tops today, leaving just enough time to build a display base for the fancy lady.

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

First day at the IPMS Nationals....

I can count the number of modeler's events attended on one hand. I'll say the IPMS Nationals is very impressive indeed.

Not just BIG....The organization of this massive event is absolutely world class!

These folks have really got their act together.

In addition to the SOS, entered three more of my models (all I could get in my truck).... Frigate Confederacy, Mayflower, and the 180th scale Vic.

Appears the Confederacy has caught the eye of the IPMS freelance photographer.... came back with special lenses for a third shoot.

Must say, I wish the organization just had more tall ship builders. Their roots are deeply into military .... Planes, tanks, artillery and such.

Sorprisingly, the mini-Vic seems to be drawing almost as much attention as the SOS.

post-11777-0-99048200-1470396864_thumb.jpeg

post-11777-0-32863300-1470397377_thumb.jpeg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Bravo Dave, nice showing.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Great time at the IPMS Nationals....meeting hundreds of new friends with a passion for scale modeling.  
HOWEVER!  BIG LESSON LEARNED....

Do not....REPEAT....DO NOT take a museum quality scratch built WOODEN model to a International PLASTIC Modelers Society competition!
You are more likely to win by going to Wal-Mart and purchasing a plastic water pistol and air brushing it with camouflage patterns. 

First....
Please understand, I have NO HURT FEELINGS whatsoever.  Especially after an explanation from an old veteran IPMS member who has served as an events judge at four previous events at the Regional and National level. 

Here's the lesson....
The primary MOTIVES of "the organization" is cleverly hidden from the massive membership.  Rather than promoting the hobby of "scale modeling" around the world, they are now completely driven by the commercial promotion of PLASTIC MODEL KITS!
In other words.... IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY!

Here is the example he gave ....
"The finest wooden model from the Smithsonian Museum would never be selected by the IPMS judges for a category winner."

Just passing this along to any of you who might be thinking of taking one of your ships to an IPMS even for any reason other than meeting a lot of really nice people who love "scale modeling".

:D 

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Thanks John....
Don't get me wrong my friend.... the MEMBERS were wonderful, and went a little nuts over my ships.  They truly appreciated the difference between out of box assembling plastic parts vs. scratch building a piece of art from raw material.
In fact, I cannot tell you how many of them came to me after the awards ceremony....very upset and expressing their embarrassment for the organization.

Would I go again?
Yep....but would not register my ships for the competition.

Sawdust Dave -

Sorry you had to learn that the hard way Dave. They are a dedicated bunch but not as we would see it.

Regards,

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Dave, 

I hate to say this, but what you said about it "being about money" doesn't surprise me.  But yes, wooden ship at a plastic modeler's competition.  Maybe tell them it's plastic made to look like wood?  :rolleyes:   But I digress....  your models do deserve awards.   

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The model railroading community thinks of them as some kind of modeling Taliban. To me, many of their weathering techniques are overdone. Work from photos to do a good job there.

Your work is very impressive, Dave. It's unfortunate that the IPMS folk fail to appreciate it. Their loss...

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the excellent photo's Mark. A visit to the museum is on my bucket list for sure.

Final comment.... Forget the awards thing guys. Seriously.... Still had a great time, met a lot of very nice new modeling friends from all parts of the country.

And, ABOVE ALL....I learned how to put on a world class event!

Which brings me to the next topic....

I will probably start a new thread for anyone interested in participating in another fund raising event next spring.

Last year's event raising money for "Wounded Warriors" was well worth a re-do. All participating modelers gave us excellent feedback.

Our next venue will be in Raleigh, N.C. and the beneficiary organization will be "Hope For Warriors".

Plans are to do a Friday / Saturday event .... Including a Sat. Evening Awards Dinner.

IPMS Modelers will be invited BUT..... There will be NO IPMS JUDGES!

COMMENTS?

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Getting "Mixed up" is what I do Joe.

SORRY bout that.

And I thank you sit.

Mark....Thank you for whatever you've done or said today.... I'm sure there must be sumpin.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Saw this model of The Sovereign in Annapolis in 2000 and was very inspired by the great work done on the sculptures. It is definately worth the trip to Annapolis to see it and the many other fine models in the collection downstairs. The best display of period models in North America as I see it.

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

Good info on the IPMS show Dave.  The main thing is that you had fun and met some very great people.  I have been fortunate to have ogled your models personally and can rightfully say they are all very impressive. 

If things go well for us in the coming year I may be enticed to come to North Carolina for your next charity show.  I'll have to rent a van though, my old Chevy pickup may not make it.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

LOL LMAO LOL. But I am the one that is CUTE

That's true.  I'll change my name to "Bubba" or "Grumpy"....   :D  :D  :D

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Dave, sorry for the disappointing outcome mate as your display looked great.  We have the same issues here at a major meet/expo but at last they warn us off and ask us to display as visiting modellers.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Many times, bad things happen for a reason....right?
The task of repairing the damage to the Confederacy's rigging is now 90% completed.  

The GOOD thing about this nightmare event is that it forced me to re-examine a number of rigging errors that have existed on this model for YEARS.  

Most of these errors being specifically related to the two bowsprit yards, where I failed to incorporate proper block and tackle rigging.  

Being so long ago when I developed the rigging plan for this model, I am completely lost for an explanation of how I made such obvius errors, and also, why I am just now discovering them.... except.... as I recall, my rush to bring her to a stage of "completion" just prior to the fund raising event in Fayetteville last year.  

Another valuable lesson learnt! 

This issue will be completely fixed over the next few days.....then I can return to the SOS build, where I can begin our favorite task of tying a few hundred clove hitches for her lower shrouds.

Thanks again for all the outpouring of moral support from all you MSW mates.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -