Sovereign of The Seas by SawdustDave - FINISHED

Drastic measures Dave but once the smoke clears it'll be magnificent.  Working off ship will surely be a lot easier.  Looking forward to the art going on it.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

G'day Dave

Been away from this site for a week or so and I'm gob smack with all the work that you have done and solved.

Well done memattieee!

Glad your hearing will be back to normal soon, but the down side you can hear what your admiral tells you!

Its look like you are redoing things again, you can handle it.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Transom layout completed....

It took over 60 pieces of shaped and scraped trim moldings to do the panel layout for the transom.....not counting the outer edge trims, which will be sculpted figures of some sort.

Here, the finished layout is lightly tacked to the stern temporarily, in order to study and work out the fitting of all the edge trims.

post-11777-0-23809800-1457783672_thumb.jpg

I'll remove the module and begin creating the ten window units next. Then begin the beautiful lantern housing sitting atop the transom. All this will be done off ship.

The counter and rudder will necessarily be the last structures to be created only after the transom is finally fitted and trimmed out.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Transom update....

All of the major sculptings for the transom are now completed and fitted to the off ship module.

At this point, there remains about thirty more figures to complete before I will be fitting the module to the stern.

post-11777-0-06437600-1458430851_thumb.jpg

Needing a little break from sculpting, I think I will now begin working on the beautiful lantern housing that fits in the center of the cap rail. 

I've been really anxious to do that piece forever.

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

I think I'm beginning to irritate the admiral a little.... calling into the house two or three times a day....

"Dear, would you mind heating up the oven again?"  :piratetongueor4:

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave,

It sounds like what you need is one of those little tabletop/countertop convection type ovens.  When you're not drying the carvings, you can make yourself pizza.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Dave,

It sounds like what you need is one of those little tabletop/countertop convection type ovens.  When you're not drying the carvings, you can make yourself pizza.

Great suggestion Mark.... Actually, I have one of those, and that's mostly what I use when I do the pre-heating.  The admiral likes her big kitchen stove oven and I do not argue with her on that issue. :10_1_10:

Sawdust Dave -

Great work on the carvings for the stern. It is really taking shape nicely.

Regards,

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Current build: Sovereign of the Seas 1637

My Book: Carving Ornamentation for Ship Models  

G'day Dave

Amazzzzzzzzing is all I can say. I think you are going so bloody fast on the decos, but it doesn't affect the final result.

Again simply fantastic.

Havagooday

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Very nice work on the sculptures Dave.  The transom is looking very impressive.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks again for the many visits, and especially for the supporting comments from the usual SOS crew members.... Goerge, Mark, Greg, Patrick, and Piet.
Also, it is a real treat to see Shipwright Bill Short drop in, since his scratch build of the SOS (still in progress) was my personal inspiration to undertake this project from the beginning. 

Great to see him back on the bench after a long break.
As far as I'm concerned, his incredible SOS is the standard by which any other SOS model must be measured by. 
Just hoping my effort might eventually earn at least a C+ in the eyes of fellow modelers on that standard.

Cheers all

Sawdust Dave -

I received a question about the shape of the beak cross members..... it reminded me that I had not yet stained the underside of those beams. Anyhow, I might as well take a quick shot of the construction whilst she was flipped over on the bench.

post-11777-0-91451000-1458560500_thumb.jpg

Leaving the black poster board used to form the patterns for the planking seen from above. Since they are not visible, they will be left because it seemed a little risky to try to dig them out at this point.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

I wish I had a fraction of your skills, those carvings look great

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Here's a little tip that may be helpful to anyone faced with trying to get a strong "butt-joint" of two really thin planks.

The lantern housing is an octagon shaped fixture with window units on each of the eight sides.  Each window frame must be very precise in height and width, and is constructed of planks less than 1/2cm thick.

The biggest problem is the butt-joints.  I simply glue a small paper tab to the end of each of the side rails.

post-11777-0-24042800-1458743668_thumb.jpg

Note:  The top and bottom planks have been carefully marked to insure exact spacing of the side pieces.  They will be cut into individual units after the side pieces have been carefully aligned and glued.

Sawdust Dave -

Nice work Dave. What is the overall size of the window?

Bill

Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Nice work Dave. What is the overall size of the window?

Bill

Currently, framed units measure 1/2" across by 3/4" tall.  This allows me to trim them back slightly in width and height in the assembly process.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Update - Transom lantern housing:

Seems like I've been working and re-working this little fixture for at least a month. Keeping a reasonable octagon shape and matching up the base with the windows and then the top was very frustrating.

Finally managed to tweek it enough to live with the results.... dry fitted as seen here.

post-11777-0-78266200-1459010108_thumb.jpg

My only concern is the overall height of the lantern housing, which is the result of my shaping the radius of the roof. My eye says it should be slightly flatter.

post-11777-0-04426200-1459010118_thumb.jpg

After looking at it for a few days, and before gluing the fixture in place, I'll decide whether to reshape it or not.

Meanwhile....any opinions and comments from the crew is welcome and appreciated, as always.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Dave..... that is simply "AWESOME".........

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

The lantern looks good Dave. Great job.

Bill

Just incredible, Dave.   I think it looks perfect.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks guys....appreciate the nice comments.

However, after taking a good long afternoon nap, came back to the shop to re-study this most important piece.

Unless I change my mind after a nights sleep, I will likely begin version II of this fixture tomorrow morning.

What the hey!  Bill Short's postings has a quote I cannot argue with....

"Mediocrity will never do. You are capable of something better.” ― Gordon B. Hinckley

Thanks for the reminder Bill

Sawdust Dave -

Lantern.... Version II

I took a much more deliberate approach to rebuilding the lantern housing.  Went to Autocad and created a template for the windows. 

post-11777-0-42350800-1459285240_thumb.jpg

Then made a jig to insure exact size and squareness of each unit and a pin jig to insure string spacing for the window screens.

post-11777-0-23473900-1459285115_thumb.jpgpost-11777-0-71575200-1459285383_thumb.jpg

The overall result of the second lantern is much closer to being acceptable in terms of scale and quality.

Here's a comparison to the two units....

post-11777-0-88689700-1459285655.jpg

And here's the new lantern dry fitted to the transom....

post-11777-0-53018700-1459285716_thumb.jpg

Took only three days for the second unit considering everything went pretty smoothly.

Now....Back to a few more transom carvings.

Sawdust Dave -

Hey Dave,

The new lantern is looking great. It is more in proportion to the rest of the stern than the first one. Nice work.

Regards,

Bill