Stag by Jim Lad - FINISHED - Scale 1:96 - English Revenue Cutter of 1827

She’s (can you call a stag a she?) absolutely lovely, John.  I can’t imagine what the “ remaining details” might be.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

beautiful John. wil you be working on a new project at the museum once she is done ?

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Oh, good!  Can't wait  ;)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Sorry to disappoint, but for those who remember Claytons, this is the update you're having when you're not having an update.

I'm afraid I stupidly went to the museum yesterday with completely the wrong attitude - finish the Stag.

As it's school holidays here, the museum was crowded, so I was getting very little work done and still thinking, 'I have to finish the Stag today' - what a dill!!

Of course I not only got very little done, but I also managed to snip the jib outhaul in two in my rush to try and get things done.

At least by the time I go in again I will have both calmed down and forgiven myself for my stupidity; so maybe next time!

John

I empathize, John.  Whether it's total completion of the model or finishing a major operation, I think we can all get a little 'stubborn' at times and a setback gets frustrating.  You're doing fine by accepting it and doing a mental reset.

We can certainly wait.....she's a real beauty.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

ohhhhhh.....John :(    while you were on your vacation {your round the world jaunt}........you didn't by chance pass through an Island villiage,  and tick off a native,  did you???   sounds like a curse,  to me :o :o :huh:     just kidding......{I hope}

perhaps your little beauty.....doesn't want to be finished.   I'm sure you'll correct her with no problem.......tomorrow will be a better light for you ;)   all will end well.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Bummer John. Hope tomorrow goes better for you. Perhaps that nine year old was right after all! :D:P

John,

Sorry to hear about the bad day.  I think we all have them.  We're a patient lot so don't worry about disappointing.  On the other hand, we get impatient on our own builds.   :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Well, she's finished at last!

The last couple of details were finished at the museum yesterday.  As you can see from the photographs, she still needs a proper stand and case - plus a bit of a clean off of odd dust particles before she's permanently cased - but she is complete at last.

I must say I'm quite pleased with the way she's turned out.  I think I've got the spars fine enough to look realistic and make her look light and fast rather than just over sparred, but that's just my opinion.

The next model is currently in the planning stage and a new building log will appear shortly.

John

post-5-0-26343800-1381953816_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-30722800-1381953826_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-51457500-1381953877_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-81294100-1381953888_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-43513000-1381953901_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-24796000-1381953914_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-54444000-1381953925_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-85349300-1381953937_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-37852300-1381953948_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-20652000-1381953965_thumb.jpg

Congratulations John on a really beautiful model. I love it! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

beautiful John.......that is some fine looking rigging ;)     I am so glad that you were able to sneak her across the finish line,  behind Murphy's back!   he must be cursing up a storm right now! :D :D :D

....a superb looking build....worthy of her place of prominence!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Simply a fantastic job.  I've been looking forward to seeing her completed since I first saw that painting on your log.  Congratulations on another masterpiece John.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956