HMS Naiad 1797 by EdT - FINISHED - 1:60 - 38-gun frigate

Thanks for sharing.  An amazing project

Maury

Ed, you continue to bring joy to my day every time I read one of your updates. It truly is an uplifting experience.

Thank you Ed, along with Grant it really is a joy to see the updates on Naiad. I also noticed your neat little sanding block in the photos, very nice.

Regards

Martin

" LIFE IS NOT A DVD YOU CANNOT REPLAY IT, ENJOY IT WHILE YOU CAN"

Thanks yet again, everyone. Just a dozen or so reposts to do to get us back to where we were in February.

Ed

1:60 HMS Naiad 1797
Part 168– Channels

Posted 12/12/12

The next leap forward was the installation of the channels – but first a small carving chore – the scroll just forward of the gallery windows.

post-570-0-25789900-1371556789.jpg

The next picture shows the mizzen channel with its supporting iron T-plates installed.

post-570-0-81374100-1371556789_thumb.jpg

The T-plates were fabricated from two pieces of copper. A slot was milled on the bottom of the horizontal piece to fit the end of the lower arm. The slot was milled before ripping off the individual pieces on the circular saw. These were then silver soldered. As the next picture shows there are backing plates for these brackets on the tops of the channels. Also, the outer bolts are eyebolts. The slots for the deadeye bindings were cut before installing the T-plates.

post-570-0-78006200-1371556790_thumb.jpg

The T-plates were attached with copper through bolts, peened to hold everything in place. The next picture shows the main channel. The tops of the eyebolts were clamped in a vise to allow the bottoms to be peened over.

The T-plates ate generally located so they can be bolted into the second frame from the gun port. I say generally because these also need to avoid the slots for the deadeye bindings that were located from the original sheer plan. They also need to avoid the long horizontal bolts through the channels.

post-570-0-43078700-1371556791.jpg

Neither of these channels are permanently installed yet. Note the bracket for the main stunsail boom at the forward end of the main channel.

The next picture shows the aft channels and stools installed.

post-570-0-16658800-1371556792_thumb.jpg

The ironwork was blackened first. The channels were then washed clean, dried then glued to the side, aligned and secured with bolts at the bottom ends of the T-plate arms. They are very secure.

The next picture shows the main channel.

post-570-0-99699600-1395318688.jpg

The copper was blackened as usual with liver of sulfur after the parts were attached. To solder these parts I used a new product – a silver solder paste with copper in the composition. It fluxes around 1250 degrees like other silver solder, but unlike ordinary silver solder it can be blackened with LOS. There is not much solder showing on these parts but I did some tests before making these to be sure it would blacken.

The next picture is a closer view.

post-570-0-76960100-1371556793.jpg

The bolts at the ends of the lower arms were installed like those on the iron knees on the deck beams. A under-sized hole drilled into the frame under the planking, a sharpened bit of copper wire forced in then clipped off just above the surface of the arm, then peened over by hammering – following by a touch of LOS on the bolt heads.

The last picture shows the fore channel from above.

post-570-0-33369600-1371556794_thumb.jpg

Ed

Edited by EdT

Ed,

Can you post the details please, of the silver solder paste you mentioned in the last post - the one that will blacken with LoS?

Thanks,

Part 169– Cheeks

Posted 12/2312

Lofting the patterns for the cheeks was almost as interesting as making them – perhaps more so. In addition to getting a close approximation of the shape, I also wanted to minimize the waste of the precious European Boxwood. The patterns were lofted as a projection on the surfaces of a block of wood oriented for good grain direction and from which two of these could be cut. The patterns pasted on to a block of wood are shown below.

post-570-0-96368800-1371557138_thumb.jpg

The patterns are placed back to back on a block wide enough to allow the sectional views to be cut first – on a scroll saw. The upper part with the “plan” view was then taped back on to the convex side of the shape cut out. The plan shape was then cut out. There is a similar plan pattern on the opposite side. To be sure of a fit, I tried this out on a pine block first.

The next picture shows the upper and lower starboard cheeks pinned in place during fit up.

post-570-0-66234000-1371557139_thumb.jpg

These two cheeks are so similar I was able to use one set of patterns for all four. The lower cheek in this picture has had its molding scraped on.

The next picture is a view from the front while these were being fit up.

post-570-0-61228300-1371557140_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows the pattern for the hair bracket pasted on to check for a fit and mark the ends of the scarph joint.

post-570-0-48249200-1371557141_thumb.jpg

The patterns for the hair brackets were simple since they are parallel to the centerline. I cut the lower cheek just a bit short - maybe two inches. I may replace this to allow the trail board to extend further beyond the end of the gammoning slot. This was a cutting - not a drafting – error.

The next picture shows the port hair bracket glued to a block for carving.

post-570-0-01388700-1371557142_thumb.jpg

The scarph was cut and fit first, using the pattern as shown in the previous picture. The next picture shows the finished scroll on the starboard side.

post-570-0-53559100-1371557142_thumb.jpg

This has been glued to the cheek but not to the beakhead. The scarph is just visible at the left. The moldings were cut with a bead scraper one edge at a time. This allows the beads to close gradually towrd the front as the siding of the member gets smaller.

The last two pictures picture show the assembly pinned in place.

post-570-0-12351400-1371557143_thumb.jpg

post-570-0-67078200-1371557143_thumb.jpg

At some point between the early 1780’s the hawse holes moved from between the cheeks to above the upper cheek. I had not noticed this before, but came across this difference when checking some model photos – Minerva and Leda in the Rogers collection for example. I find this very interesting and will do some research to see when this switch occurred and the relationship between the holes and the upper deck in the two variations..

This may be the last update of the year, so I will wish everyone a very merry Christmas and a happy 2013.

Ed

Grant, here is a link to what I am using.

http://www.contenti.com/products/soldering/420-860.html

So far, I have been quite satisfied with this.

Ed

Ed, like others have said it is difficult to find words to describe my admiration for your workmanship. Your model is inspiring and sets a very high standard for me to work toward.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Part 170– Head Continued

Posted 1/4/13

Things slowed down a bit over the holidays, but I was able to continue work on the head structure. In the first picture the assembled upper cheek on the port side is being attached.

post-570-0-37253400-1371731283.jpg

The two parts of these assemblies were glued together first while clamped in place, but not glued to the beakhead. The assemblies were then aligned to the back of the lacing and glued on one at a time.

Since there was wait time being gluing these parts together I started work on the figurehead. The next picture shows the beginning of work on a maquette made with an epoxy molding compound – MagicSculpt.

post-570-0-95527700-1371731283_thumb.jpg

I have used this material extensively for making patterns for casting of 1:60 military figures. It is applied over a copper wire armature pushed into a cork to enable handling. The material is then built up progressively and shaped using fancy tools like round toothpicks.

The design of the figure took some research and some drafting time. It is supposed to represent a water nymph (a naiad) swimming. As I have mentioned earlier, there is no decoration plan for Naiad, so the carvings are all speculative. To complicate the decoration decisions, Naiad was under construction when the Admiralty issued its 1796 order to reduce decoration and eliminate full figures. This second part was very unpopular and may have been ignored at least for a time. I feel reasonably safe with the level of decoration on the Naiad model – no one can know for sure.

The next picture shows the almost-completed model posing near the head.

post-570-0-81331300-1371731284_thumb.jpg

In this picture a template scrap is being used to position the figure. The next picture shows the finished maquette mounted on the head.

post-570-0-54657500-1371731285_thumb.jpg

In the picture the bolster is also being glued in place under the hawse holes. The gammoning knee assembly has also been made with a scarph joint joining its two parts. It is glued in between the gammoning piece of the head and the stem.

The next picture shows the structure as the trailboard was being fit between the two cheeks.

post-570-0-31540900-1371731286_thumb.jpg

After it was installed, holes were drilled from the opposite side at the ends of the gammoning slot. This opening was then filed out as will be seen in some of the later photos. The opposite side can then be done in the same way.

In the next picture, the carving of the final figurehead is well along.

post-570-0-87335200-1371731286.jpg

There were a lot of steps to get to this point that I will not take space here to describe. The three views on the pattern sheet and the maquette were of course used as a guide and to transfer measurements as the carving progressed.

The next picture shows the unfinished figure being fit to the structure.

post-570-0-41993700-1371731287_thumb.jpg

The figure is not yet finished except for the shaping of the torso and the face. The face was done first to save work in case it didn’t turn out. Fortunately only one try was needed, so I have spared myself the agony of wasting a good sized block of Euro Boxwood – so far. A slot in the figure to fit on the structure was cut with files and a small chisel after being roughed out on the scroll saw.

The next picture shows the figure fit temporarily into place.

post-570-0-91170000-1371731287_thumb.jpg

With the width of the slot determined, the lower legs can be finished. The arms, hands, hair and drapery still need to be carved as well. This can now be done with the position of the figure and its intersection with the underlying structure established.

Although carving is a nice diversion, there is still a lot of interesting work to do on the head structure and that is still the priority right now.

Ed

Part 171– Head Continued - Figurehead

Posted 1/10/13

Based on the comments I guess I glossed over the actual carving of the figurehead so I will offer this still abbreviated description of the process. I hope to document the whole process in much more depth in volume II. Again, I don’t represent this process as ideal, but merely the one I used. I believe I covered the maquette in the previous part.

The first picture shows the “composite” side pattern pasted to a block of European Boxwood (buxus sempervirens). This is an outstanding carving wood – hard, dense grain, polishes well.

post-570-0-69239300-1371731617_thumb.jpg

The three patterns used can be seen to the right in the photo. They were created by tracing over the 3D rendered images seen at the left, then overlaid on the drawing of the bow for final sizing, orientation, addition of hair and drapery and any needed adjustments. This was done in the CAD program. These patterns were used for the maquette.

The “composite” pattern was made by superimposing the two side patterns to outline the maximum extent of the figure for cutting the overall shape. This was done on the scroll saw. The next picture shows the block having been cut out in both planes.

post-570-0-69360000-1371731618_thumb.jpg

After cutting out the side shape, patterns were pasted on each side and a rough front view sketched in pencil on to the forward side of the block. The side shapes were then roughed out on the scroll saw. These side cutoffs were useful in positioning various features on the carving later. Measurements were also taken from the maquette to locate features.

In the next picture the head and upper torso have been given a general shape with the carving clamped in the vise.

post-570-0-70357800-1371731619.jpg

The head was done first with enough facial detail to assure that the final face could be finished successfully – before moving on to the torso. This preliminary work was largely done with rotary tools and burr cutters or powdered diamond abrasive bits. Getting the face shaped is a critical step and can be difficult. Females – especially attractive young females – are challenging. Overly prominent features, sagging jowls and deep-set eyes all make the figure seems older – and sometimes even masculine. Most of this work was done with hand tools once the basic head was shaped and the eye sockets defined with a small spherical diamond grit rotary tool.

The next pictures show the rotary tools used.

post-570-0-58128200-1371731620_thumb.jpg

I have two of these Wecheer tools because I use them so often for drilling and sometimes buffing. They can be held like a pencil. Various bits are shown to the left. The four bits to the left side are diamond abrasive shapes. The tiny burrs in the yellow case are Fox burs. These are very tiny. The rotary tool to the right is fitted with a screw mandrel. A small circle of Scotchbrite pad has been screwed onto the end and is used for buffing. Small sanding boards and flexible sanding strips up to 2000 grit were also used for polishing.

The next picture shows the rough carving with the maquette.

post-570-0-20431500-1371731621_thumb.jpg

Some adjustments were made to the final head shape and pose. The upper torso is pretty well shaped in this picture.

The next picture shows some of the hand tools used for carving and final detailing.

post-570-0-78606200-1371731621_thumb.jpg

A surprising amount of rough paring could be done with a simple modeling knife but straight chisels were used quite a bit for that as well. The tools to the left are small gouges made from drill rod. The very tiny gouge at the far left was made from a bit of syringe tubing. The small abrasive files were very useful for shaping and veining. They can be used in any direction and are good for smoothing out gouge cuts. The Two Cherries tool is a very mall curved gouge. I also used a similar v-gouge quite a bit.

In the next picture the roughed out figure has been fitted to the bow.

post-570-0-61678000-1371731622_thumb.jpg

The mounting slot was cut with a saw and square files. A major portion of carving block behind the figure remains. This allows it to be clamped in the vise. Once the figure was fit into place this could be removed as shown in the next picture.

post-570-0-18205000-1371731623_thumb.jpg

The figure is almost complete in this picture. There is still some final work to do on the hands, feet, face, etc. Closeup photos like this one – or closer - are very helpful in finding areas for further work. There will be a short extension of the lower cheek with a scroll installed on each side just behind the figure’s foot.

The last picture shows the figure at this stage from the other side.

post-570-0-67614000-1371731623_thumb.jpg

Because the figure represents a swimming nymph, there is not a lot of drapery; so the area behind the torso had to be filled in. I did this by extending slightly the upper part of the lacing timber. This is visible in both these last pictures. Doing this in pear helped define the slender shape of the figure.

Ed

Part 172– Head Continued - Rails

Posted 1/18/13

To me, the head rails are high on the list of difficult members to make. With the lofted patterns, cutting and assembling the six pieces that comprise each one is fairly straightforward, as is the tapering of the piece, which narrows at the front. But the fun begins with the next step – shaping the molding - and continues with the fitting of the rails into place. First the molding. The first picture shows the first step – making a saw cut where the vertical corner transitions to a triangular face on the rail.

post-570-0-79368200-1395319770_thumb.jpg

With this cut made the lower outside corner of the rail is then beveled off. The next picture shows the beginning of the scraping of the molding on the upper edge of the rail.

post-570-0-09459800-1395319771_thumb.jpg

The rail was glued to a block with paper in the joint for the forming of the moldings. Because the rail narrows in the vertical as well as the horizontal planes a single scraper cannot do the job. I made two, the two-step pattern shown in the picture for the top edge and a single bead cutter for the bottom edge. Besides the convergence of the top and bottom faces and the curve of the rail, scraping the pattern is further hindered by the two scarphed joints. The cutter has a tendency to grab at the joint and the change of grain direction needs to be watched. Very light cuts and attention to keeping the cutter square to the curved edge is required. This took some time and a fair amount of cleanup of the scraped moldings using small files was also needed.

The next picture shows the two finished molded rails.

post-570-0-42950300-1395319771_thumb.jpg

The top rail had already been fit into place as shown in the next picture.

post-570-0-78813600-1395319771_thumb.jpg

A pattern was made first of thin hardwood in the shape of the rail. It was then trimmed back until the forward end fit neatly over the back of the hair bracket. This served as a pattern to cut off the forward end of the rail, which was then trimmed to fit as shown. Before this final trimming the rail was scored on to the cathead.

The next picture shows the two fitted rails from above.

post-570-0-19436800-1395319772_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows the first steps toward making the cathead knees.

post-570-0-60525900-1395319772_thumb.jpg

I did not even attempt to loft these pieces with their multiple curves. Instead a maquette was shaped in pine and is shown in one of the many trial fittings in the picture. This will be used as a model for the final boxwood knee. The next picture shows the pine maquette pretty well roughed out and held in place for the photo with a bit of paste..

post-570-0-96886200-1395319772_thumb.jpg

The shape of this maquette was traced on to the boxwood at each step as it was being formed. The final piece will need to have the lower curve a bit fuller and will need to mate to the bolster a little more to the left, but the pine piece is good enough to use as a pattern for the final one – with slight adjustment.

This picture illustrates an oddity in the Naiad design. The addition of the bridle port shown in this picture appears on the draft to have been a last minute design change. This port was probably added as a chase port because in the original design the first of the normal 14 ports was too far aft to use for this purpose. Naiad is the only 38 I have seen with 15 upper deck ports. These forward ports would normally not have guns. Forward guns in early 38’s caused stability problems. Anyway, the last minute alteration disrupted the initially drawn lines of the rails and the curve of the cathead knees because the cathead had to be moved forward. This caused the head rails to have a sharper curve at the cathead and the knee to end rather abruptly on the bolster. This is all shown as a revision on the draft. The picture shows this pretty clearly.

Ed

Edited by EdT

Part 173– Head Continued – Rails and Knees

Posted 1/22/13
In the last part I showed the maquette that was used to model the starboard cathead supporter – which I erroneously called the cathead knee. The first picture shows the roughed out final version made based on the maquette – before molding the beads on its outboard face.

post-570-0-66672300-1395319910_thumb.jpg

In this picture the rail and the supporter are still loose. The next picture shows the supporter and the cathead knee installed.

post-570-0-99546900-1395319910_thumb.jpg]

Both head rails are installed in this picture, but the figure is still loose. The supporter has been molded and installed. The next picture shows the bolster and the bolting of the two head rails to the lacing and hair brackets.

post-570-0-43368700-1395319911_thumb.jpg

Bolts in the head rail joints have also been installed. The next picture shows the current state of the bow.

post-570-0-86939200-1395319911_thumb.jpg

All the parts shown are now glued and bolted into place. The next picture shows more of the bow with the figure positioned.

post-570-0-27207600-1395319912_thumb.jpg

The continuation of the shear rails on both sides have been installed forward of the cathead. The forward bits of the forecastle rails have yet to be installed. The next picture from a lower angle shows the relationship between the curves of the head rail and the upper cheek more clearly.

post-570-0-59938500-1395319912_thumb.jpg

The cathead supporter ends somewhat awkwardly at the bolster. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this is due to the revision in the original draft to add the bridle port and the resulting displacement of the cathead further forward. The next picture shows the opposite side.

post-570-0-01059400-1395319913_thumb.jpg

All the planking necessary to mount the head structure has been installed, bolted and treenailed. The trailboard is not yet installed. The lower cheek is being glued in this picture. As I mentioned earlier, there are still small bits of scroll to be made and fitted to the forward ends of the lower cheeks. The wash cants also need to be made and installed under the lower cheek. The last picture shows the current state from directly forward.

post-570-0-44175600-1395319913_thumb.jpg

The figure is pretty well finished and polished. I still need to touch up the eyes – but just a bit.

The next step will be to make and install the six head timbers and the lower rails - another fun job.

Ed

Edited by EdT

Ed,

I wished I could have seen this before I did mine. I would probably have made a better job - nowhere near as good as yours mind you. :)

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Part 174– Head Continued – Head Framing

Posted 1/25/13

Woirk continues on the complex set of timbers that form the structure of the head. With the head rails installed the next step was to fit the head beam. It is shown pinned in place in the first picture.

post-570-0-30073500-1395320098_thumb.jpg

This is a good opportunity to correct any slight misalignment in the head rails by making sure that the score over the gammoning knee is precisely centered on the beam. The beams are rounded up about 2 inches. In this picture, which was taken before the next one, the two aft head timbers have been cut out and are lying on the forecastle.

The next picture shows how these timbers were marked out for cutting.

post-570-0-84105100-1395320098_thumb.jpg

At this stage it is very easy to mark the four corners of a head timber on a blank that has been sized to fit the space with its outer edge beveled to match the head rail. The curves of the top and bottom faces can then be marked and the score for the lower rail cut midway vertically between the top and bottom corners of the bottom face. I find this is much simpler and more accurate than cutting these pieces from patterns – and very much easier that lofting accurate patterns as well.

In the next picture the starboard aft head timber is being glued in.

post-570-0-20204400-1395320099_thumb.jpg

Mating them against the head beam adds significant strength.

In the next picture all six timbers have been installed and also the central crosspiece.

post-570-0-58090600-1395320099_thumb.jpg

The tops of the head timbers need to be lower than the line of the head rail to permit fitting of gratings and also the head beam knees. I elected to pare these back after installation – easier.

The next picture shows the assembly from above.

post-570-0-95154800-1395320099.jpg

The roughed out lower rails are in place in this picture. I find the arrangement with these butting against the bolsters a bit odd, but precisely as shown on the original draft.

The next picture was taken after the starboard lower rail was molded and fit into place.

post-570-0-38148000-1395320100_thumb.jpg

The lower curved faces of the head timbers will be covered with molded curved facings. Most of the bolting of the timbers on both sides had been installed when this picture was taken.

In the last picture gratings have been installed.

post-570-0-77780000-1395320100.jpg

Openings for the “seats of ease” will be cut in the outer corners of the grated areas. The openings aft of these grated sections will have fore and aft rails for flooring at the same spacing as the grating slats. The forward cross piece can also be seen in this picture.

The last picture is a view from above.

[post-570-0-24816600-1395320101_thumb.jpg

A lot of finicky tweezer work here.

Ed

Edited by EdT

Part 175– Head Continued

Posted 1/29/13

In the first picture the rail to support the grating bars on the starboard side is being glued into place with some improvised clamping. The carling and three grating bars are installed on the port side.

post-570-0-93811800-1395320242.jpg

Since the last post, I had to revise the grating areas. The center cross piece that defines the forward end of these sections was too far aft and would have interfered with the gammoning – a little drafting glitch – now corrected.

The next picture shows all the gratings completed and the shafts for the two forward “seats of ease” installed through openings in the grating.

post-570-0-41965300-1395320243.jpg

The next picture shows the starboard false rail pinned in place.

post-570-0-73864800-1395320243.jpg

The seats have been added to the tops of the square shafts. The aft seat on the starboard side has been fitted and is just visible above the back of the false rail.

The next picture shows both false rails and all the seats installed.

post-570-0-11863000-1395320244_thumb.jpg

The aft seats give some additional support to the fragile tops of the false rails. This can be seen more clearly in the next picture.

post-570-0-52088500-1395320244_thumb.jpg

The figure is still loose in this picture. She makes appearances at various times in these pictures.

The next picture shows the hull inverted for work on the head timber facings and the wash cants.

post-570-0-91972100-1395320244_thumb.jpg

In this picture the curved, molded facing pieces have been installed on the head timbers. The wash cants are also installed. I was very happy to have the bunker over the wheel for this upside down work.

The next picture shows the current state from dead ahead.

post-570-0-28377300-1395320245_thumb.jpg

These pictures are quite useful for finding little errors of alignment or worse – much better than viewing while bent over at an angle. I was pretty satisfied with the symmetry.

The last picture shows the whole model at this stage on a freshly painted shipway - re surfaced with a new copy of the plan.

post-570-0-64524300-1395320245_thumb.jpg

The work on the head is essentially finished at this stage except for a trailboard, some bolting and the small scrolls just behind the feet of the figure. What next? Gun doors? Deadeyes and chains? Finishing the unplanked port side? Haven’t decided yet.

Ed

Edited by EdT

Part 176– Unplanked Port Side

Posted 2/4/13

I decided to work next on the unplanked port side of the model. The first picture shows an overall view of this side before starting this work.

post-570-0-24509600-1395320388_thumb.jpg

The framing on this side had been faired and sanded smooth, but there is still quite a bit of detailing to be done to complete this side of the model.

The first task was to install fillers between the frames where the chain bolts would have passed through the side. The next picture shows the area of the main chains just aft of the waist.

post-570-0-37039400-1395320389.jpg

There is not a lot of information about this feature and what I found is buried deep in Steel. These fillers were fir. I installed them between ports where chain plates for all three masts are located and some under the forward part of some ports, since the chains slant aft under these. I made them long enough to handle the chain bolts and preventer bolts at the bottom of the chain plates.

The next picture shows some blue masking tape being used to define the line of a ribband to be installed at the line of the top of the wale.

post-570-0-72190600-1395320389.jpg

The ribbands on the lower hull were done some time ago. There will be two of these on the topside frames. One at the top of the line of the wale and another parallel to that at the location of the sheer rail.

The next picture shows the first section being glued into place.

post-570-0-27196200-1395320390.jpg

The bolt holes were pre-drilled against a fence in the milling machine to keep them on the centerline of the ribband – a 6” x 6” member, joined along its length with hook scarphs. The wet area is from washing off the glue.

The next picture shows a somewhat closer view of this looking forward.

post-570-0-65090400-1395320390_thumb.jpg

The horizontal line of bolts above this ribband are holding the knees of the upper deck and the large hole is one of the upper deck scuppers. The chain bolts were set at the height of the lower strake of spirketing (inside). The upper spirketing strake comes up to the port sills.

The next picture illustrates the value of taking these pictures – in addition, of course, to being able to post them.

post-570-0-03248100-1395320391_thumb.jpg

The two arrows highlight a length of the ribband that is just slightly out of fairness. I did not actually see this upward bulge by eye. In the next picture the line has been corrected.

post-570-0-42727500-1395320391_thumb.jpg

This section of ribband was pried up, re-glued, and pinned a bit lower, correcting the problem. The area below the ribband is darker because it has been finished.

The last picture shows the difference between finished and unfinished pear quite clearly.

post-570-0-78082800-1395320391.jpg

The wax finish will lighten slightly. This picture also shows the fillings for the main mast chain bolts very clearly. The square openings just above the ribband are the vent scuttle They pass through the top of the upper deck clamp. The toptimbers astride the quarterdeck that go all the way up to the roughtree rail are those that would have supported this rail even without the berthing up. So, the arrangement of timbers is per the original draft, with some left short of the rail as shown on the draft. This picture also shows one of the new adjustable supports for the hull. There are four of these.

Ed

Edited by EdT

End of the Reposts!

Starting with the next post the material will be new - no more reruns - I hope.

Ed

That was a mammoth effort to re-post all of that Ed. Thank you so much for doing so, it has been a real treat to re-read. Looking forward to the new stuff!

Old or new material doesn't matter....it's all very, very educational and inspiring not to mention beautiful!!! Thank-you for all your work in re-posting this vast wealth of information!

Sherry

Every goodbye is the birth of a memory...

Current Build: San Felipe

Finished Builds: Mayflower Build Log

Gallery: Mayflower

Stunning work! Museum quality. Thanks Edward for sharing this knowledge, tips and skills.

Past build: BRACERA

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do... Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"

KIND REGARDS!

ELMIR

Thank you all for these comments - very much appreciated.

Ed

Part 177– Port Side, Lower Stern

At the time of the “Great Crash” I was working on the unplanked port side of the model and anticipating completion of the entire model within weeks.  It eventually took longer, perhaps without the pressure to keep posting – or perhaps it was resisting crossing the finish line.

Anyway, the first picture shows the two additional ribbands installed – one at the height of the wale and the second at the height of the sheer rail.  In this picture the planksheer along the waist and the roughtree rail along the topsides of the quarter deck are also in place.

post-570-0-22754800-1395319337_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows a closer view pf the planksheer and the gangways installed along the waist.  The tops of these decked walkways is flush with the tops of the planksheers.

post-570-0-57566700-1395319337.jpg

Part of the final work on the port side was to locate and insert all the missing bolts that were left uninstalled during work on the knees, spirketing, and other internal members that bolt through the hull.

The next picture shows a closer view of the port gangway and one of the ladders into the waist.

post-570-0-94159000-1395319337_thumb.jpg

Only the basic structure of the quarter gallery on the port side was installed.  This included the stools, the rim with its stanchions and the upper and lower finishings.  The next picture was taken after bolting in the lower finishing on the port side with the model inverted.  

post-570-0-38366500-1395319338.jpg

While in this position, the final applications of wax finish were applied to the lower stern and the lower hull framing.

The next picture shows work on the lower parts of the starboard quarter gallery that were also installed at this time.

post-570-0-85068600-1395319338.jpg

In the next picture the model has been righted and all of the lower parts of the quarter gallery are in place.

post-570-0-63167800-1395319339.jpg

Ed

Edited by EdT