HMB Endeavour by BANYAN - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:60 - circa 1768

Thanks Jom. appreciate you looking in.  We all aspire to better build quality; I have a fair bit to go to catch some of the great builder son this forum.  

cheers

Pat.

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks Dave, but I have been at it for 12 years - very slow indeed. The pace has only picked up since I retired. :)

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Hi folks, a (major) error has been pointed out to me which at this stage I don't think I will try to fix as I need to complete this project.  I point it out that any members who use this as a guide/refer to it are aware.

The stunsail booms are cranked the wrong way :(  They should be to the fore side of the yard not behind.  My reasoning for not correcting it is that this is my first major build and I have learned so much from it, and there are a few other errors the keen eyed might pick (noticed too late) and fixing these would require a major effort/refit.  I think that at some stage I will revisit Endeavour and I can then be aware of these in that, and future builds.

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Had to go back and look I never noticed. No matter she still looks hot!

Thanks John, appreciated. Last night I found two small blocks seized to the leading edge of each fore shroud (Main and Fore) in the AOTS running rigging overall drawing.  Very faint lines which turned out to be (according to the AOTS) lead blocks for the tricing lines which ten led to the foremost shroud cleats for belaying.  I'll check those two other reference you provided and decide from there.

Many thanks mate, for this and pointing out my error (or should I blame the dockies? ;)).

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Hi folks, next instalment (if the site lets me - third attempt - seems Win 10 and Internet and this site causes BSODs - I have tried three different browsers!!!!).

This posts starts with the yard fitted with the stirrups and hardware (from earlier posts).  All blocks etc are prerigged with running loops, with the loop large enough to fit over the stirrups etc without causing damage etc.

post-385-0-08665400-1466382387_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-62930300-1466382379_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-29349200-1466382383_thumb.jpg

[edit:  ignore the stain run on the stunsail boom, that wipes off very easy  - I let its it for a while for the stain to penetrate the wood which is Huon Pine with natural oils, so it takes the stain a little time to penetrate]

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Second instalment.

The rigging is slackened to allow the jeers to be lowered about half way down the mast, I seize the slings around the yard.  I then prepare the parrel off the yard and fit it after the yard has been slung and raised a little closer to the tops.  After tightening it I haul the completed yard.

post-385-0-32718500-1466382882_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-71165000-1466382889_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-18221700-1466382877_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-41569300-1466382894_thumb.jpg

cheers

Pat

Pat, that is looking so awesome.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks all for comments and birthday wishes - appreciated.

John, no need to paste mate but thanks anyway.  I was aware of inner and outer tricing lines, and interpret the same way.  My intention is to show one tackle hanging from the pendant with both tricing lines fitted; the remainder will be the outer tricing only with the tackle hauled taut (pendant pulled in along the yard, but I don't think I will seize it also.  WRT the positioning, AOTS shows two shroud blocks fitted one above the other on the leading shroud of each set at about the cheek level, one for inner and one for outer.  I think I will stay with the AOTS as I have also used that belay plan for the running rigging else where( Braces leads for example) and the lead works nicely for the shroud cleats. Thanks for the heads-up mate, much appreciated.

cheers

Pat

I'm hoping you have a great birthday, Pat.   I keep forgetting you guys down under a day ahead of us.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Pat,

Happy Modeling Birthday, this is the day when we hide from greeters (after a certain age) and truly engaging with our ships.

Any way, Happy Birthday!

Besides I like all the knots!

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi Pat,

Day's not over yet, Happy Birthday. Day of achievements !.

Raising a yard and ya BD.

Pretty cool the Pics of the yard going up(heave ho!), I enjoyed looking at it several times. One day I'll get there.

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Thanks Mark, Per and Dave; and all for the likes.  It was a quiet BD but just what you need as the good doctor says above. :)

That's the two most complex yards in place now so hopefully the others will not take as long.

cheers

Pat

really great progress Pat........I'm just catching up.  great fix on the stunsail booms........that would have bugged you to no end  ;)   the rigging looks very good......nicely done!

happy belated birthday...BTW   I miss so much when I have to catch up  :(

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Popeye and John.  Managed to fix one of the yards (stunsail booms but not the other yet :)).  Thanks for the compliment John, coming from you it is much appreciated.

cheers

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again folks.  

Well I just couldn't live with the incorrect location of the studding sail booms (aft of the yard rather than forward as shown in photo 1), so I attempted to fix the location of the studding booms on the fore lower yard.  I decided the best way was to try and fix it in-situ, as completely unrigging it would have been problematic. This brought about another complication in that it would be impossible to lash/bend the inboard ends of the boom as they were very close to the mast and quite difficult to get at.  Having experimented a little, I found the best way was to actually use thin CA on the inboard lashings to hold them in shape.  I then used a little acetone to weaken the bond on the yard.  I am not sure what the long term effects of this process will be on the scale rope, but I am hopeful.  This was the only way I could find to ensure the lashing held its shape while I rotated them.

I decided to cut/snip the end cap iron and was then able to slide the studding boom out, but unfortunately, not without braking the solder joints on the mid-yard arm irons.  As you can see from the photos, the lashings held their shape very well when I rotated them forward.  I then rotated the mid-yard arm iron forward also, rest the studding boom and held it in place with a soft peg while I resoldered the the mid-yard arm joints.  I then used a third hand (from GRS) to hold the end iron in place and resoldered them also.  This process was only possible due to using a resistance soldering unit which gave me total control over the placement and level of heat.

Overall a satisfactory result, but I will need to clean-up and stain the yards again as the acetone wrecked the finish - this was unavoidable but an acceptable result.

The part one photos show the start of the process, through to the reinstall of the boom.  The same process was carried out for both sides.  Photo 1 shows the incorrectly positioned studding sail boom;  photo 2 shows the end cap iron cut ready for the removal process (sorry a little out of focus); and photo 3 shows the repositioned boom held temporarily in place for soldering the mid-yard iron.

post-385-0-05236800-1467969227_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-15183700-1467969235_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-86418500-1467969240_thumb.jpg

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Part 2 - sorry some of the photos are not that well focused in the earlier post.  In the following you can see the new solder joints, and the finished results for the port side also.  Unfortunately it was impossible to get any shots of the actual soldering operations.

Photo 4 (first in this post) shows the third-hand setup which was raised by using solid wood blocks, photo 4 shows the new soldered joints (mid-yard and end-cap are visible (before cleanup and repaint) and photo 5 shows the port side boom completed.

post-385-0-57138000-1467969437_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-07493900-1467969429_thumb.jpg   post-385-0-36318000-1467969421_thumb.jpg

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Nice save on the yards, Pat.   Looks very good.

First model?  Really?   <jaw drops to floor>

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for looking in and the comments folks; much appreciated.

Yep Mark, first wood ship model apart from the battle station I built along the way as practice :)  There are heaps of little errors from the days I first started but these I can live with.

cheers

pat

I don't believe that Pat........your work suggests that you've built a few in your day  ;)  great fix with the booms.....reading your earlier post on this.....I knew you'd fix it before going any further.   better than me though.........when I built the first kit of the Revell United States,  I didn't even attach the booms to the yards.......I suspended them with the sheet lines!  :D  :D   {Revell doesn't show this in the instructions}.

I don't even notice any marring in the repair..... just the spot of solder  :)    sweet looking ship!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks again to all the likes and comments; the encouragement sure helps with big decisions like this.

Popeye, I won't tell anyone about the sheet lines if you don't ;).  Thanks for the comment re the finish, but the photos hide some of it - they really do need a "cut and polish"; especially close to the iron work as evidenced in photo 4.   

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN

Some people know how to cook....

others how to ride a bicycle.....

others how to drive a bus.....

And Pat knows how to build a model !!!!!!!!!!

Amazing for your first build Pat !!!!!!!!

Or as a child you are playing in the box with wooden toys ?????????

Sjors

Hi again folks,

Well it's time to provide an update.  These photos show progress as of today, and will remain in this state for 5 weeks while I am travelling.  I have temporarily stored her on her display stand inside the display case to try and keep some dust off.

I have now completed most of the yards but I need more line for the remaining running rigging (especially braces etc) which I will sort on my return.  Starting to show her final configuration.  

The display stand has a copy of Cook's actual chart of the east coast of Australia which is mostly hidden unfortunately.  The plan is to mount the name/build plates in a 30 degrees off vertical position with one plate showing either side using a block of the same wood from which the base is made.  this will be positioned ahead of the ship on the centre line and i will put the two remaining boats, one under sail, and the other on the yardarm tackles (main and for) just to display them differently.  I am going to use an idea that Druxey used for his hospital barge (I hope you don't mind Druxet?) and mount the boat under sail on tall  thin acrylic posts so that her  waterline aligns with the ship's water line.  the starboard anchor will also be rigged as if just hoisted to the cathead.

cheers

Pat

post-385-0-50835700-1468909382_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-42254700-1468909366_thumb.jpg   

post-385-0-97912200-1468909373_thumb.jpg  post-385-0-18472900-1468909505_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-86115800-1468909498_thumb.jpg

Edited by BANYAN