Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:16 Scale - SMALL

Our Hero didst jumpeth into the previous weekend, intending to haveth one further item tick-ethed a-from the List prior to his upcoming surgery.
“If not, then a brace or more!!” CaptainSteve didst boast.

Thusly, and with vigour, work didst commence upon his rudder/tiller arrangement. Firstly, the kit rudder was over-planked with strips o' thin veneer ...

post-675-0-11384100-1425117393_thumb.jpg

“Arrr … it be only much later,” he beganeth. “That I be a-realizin' that what I should have done were to be having the planks a-running up an' down, instead o' horizontally …”

post-675-0-40941500-1425117396_thumb.jpg

“Me tiller piece was shaped with fine sand-paper,” he said. “And then a grip added made from a strip of the same chamois cloth which hadst been use-ethed for me oar-lashings."

This be-eth an idea which Our Hero didst learn-eth from the Artistic One ... and his squirrels.

post-675-0-14990700-1425117332_thumb.jpg

To alloweth movement o' the tiller-arm, note-eth that a small amount of wood hath been trimmed from the lower corner, where it doth meet with the rudder-piece.

(See pics at end of next post.)

Paint were applied to the rudder to match-eth with the transom, including the Docker’s stripe …
post-675-0-31990300-1425117399_thumb.jpg

O’course, ‘twould have been much easier to be noticing that the rudder piece needed additional tapering a-fore painting … but this wouldn’t be a CaptainSteve build if that were the case !!

post-675-0-79062700-1425117320_thumb.jpgpost-675-0-20415800-1425117317_thumb.jpg

Next up, the pieces for the pintles and gudgeons, as well as the straps for the tiller, were cut from the kit-supplied strip of brass.
“I be using just a pair of cheap scissors …”, Our Hero added, by way of explanation.
post-675-0-13031800-1425117324_thumb.jpg

The Dremel tool with grinding wheel helped shape the final outcome for the fittings …
post-675-0-90063800-1425117326_thumb.jpg

“I didst be a-using small pieces o’ brass rod and tube (not-eth supplied in the kit),” he went on, “to form-eth the hinge pieces making the working bits for me pintles and gudgeons.”
post-675-0-11133000-1425117329_thumb.jpg

More power to those o' you whose metal-working skills are adequate. Our Hero's be not ... and thus, he hath joined his pieces together with two-part epoxy, after failing with solder (and needing to be re-making at least one o' these pieces).

As many of you are probably aware by now, CaptainSteve doth sometimes go-eth off on tangents, thus wasting valuable build time with oft-times friviolous research. This were to be yet another one o' those times.

As usual, o' course, this didst leadeth unto the question of colouration (doesn’t it always??), with Our Hero contemplating upon the look he wouldst be applying unto his metal bits ...

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

“I doest have some vials o’ the Liver O’ Sulphur (LoS),” CaptainSteve didst trieth to explain. “As well, there be recently-arrived vials o’ the Caseys’ Brass Black concoction.”

Firstly, the pieces were washed clean in methylated spirits ... 
post-675-0-00585300-1425118046_thumb.jpg

... and thence were rinsed in distilled water …

post-675-0-35676400-1425118049_thumb.jpg

Thus, Our Hero didst decide that the plates jointing tiller to rudder were to be tinted by immersion in the LoS. This be primarily to give ‘em the same look as the mast-clamps. For the pintles/gudgeons to be attached to the transom, Our Hero didst useth this occasion to test-eth out his first ever usage o’ the Caseys’ blackening agent.
post-675-0-11863800-1425118052_thumb.jpg

Bolt-heads for the fixings were made by clipping the heads from miniature nails. Verily, much wailing and gnashing of teeth did occur-eth whilst trying to install these.
“They be a right PITA to be a-fitting unto the corresponding holes,” Our Hero went on, “but they be adding to the overall look, in the end.”
post-675-0-27173500-1425118054_thumb.jpg

“And here be a couple o’ pics of me rudder/tiller arrangement, just prior to installation,” CaptainSteve were to conclude.

"If ye doth squint, ye can just barely make-eth out the chamois grip-lashing upon the end o' me tiller-arm ..."
post-675-0-44219800-1425136768_thumb.jpg

"Fixed through wi' a pin, and most verily, it doth moveth !!"

post-675-0-12507400-1425136765_thumb.jpg

“Now, I be a-readin’ recently about the matter o’ the White Stuff which were applied unto the hulls of ships and boats up to and beyond the time o’ the Mutiny incident,” CaptainSteve summarized. “It were used as an anti-fouling treatment, o’ sorts.”
Wi’ his recently applied water-line, Our Hero didst realize that his rudder wouldst also needeth the White Stuff.

“This be a-leadin’ to me most recent conundrum,” he began to wind-eth up. “Doest I be painting the lower pintle & gudgeon pair, or do I be leavin’ them the blackened metal colouring ??” he was to posit.

On the one hand, Our Hero hath noticed that other Launch builders have left-eth theirs black, even where they have also added a waterline.  Indeedeth, this be the look which he hath so far applied.

“However,” CaptainSteve theorized, “according to the time-honoured naval tradition of ‘If it doesn’t move, paint it!!’, then most surely I shouldst be over-painting the straps of this lower arrangement.”

“What sayeth the horde??”

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

My mind(squirrels) say that if you build a beautiful piece like yours, flaunt it. Oh but what will CaptainSteve do? I think if left black, it would draw the eyes in to take a closer look-see. Said eyes of said person, with eyes focused, could in it's entirety view the fine details of one outstanding work of art.

In the end, CaptainSteve, go with your guttural instinct and remember there is no wrong answer.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Indeed a fine job on your rudder there Captain! As with the painting of the lower hinge, I would think as you do, since they probably wouldn't have painted around it, rather just painted over it. In the end, it's your decision Captain, so I would depict her as your own eye see fitting. Didn't know about a surgery. Hope it's not too serious, and good luck!

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

... as with the painting of the lower hinge, I would think as you do, since they probably wouldn't have painted around it, rather just painted over it. 

... Didn't know about a surgery. Hope it's not too serious, and good luck!

Cheers

George, I'm thinking that I will lightly paint over the metal straps with white paint. Then, maybe, scratch it back a bit, once the paint dries. This will allow some (most) of the blackened metal to show through, as well as matching with the scratched-up water-line which was recently painted in. The actual working hinge sections between rudder and transom will be left as blackened metal, since they can move ("If it does move, DON'T paint it!!").

Yep. Day surgery on my fore-arm (modelling arm!!) as a result of a recent work accident.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

So you get paid during recovery? Are you getting a bionic shipmodeling arm? Hey one thing I did to cut back the paint on my chest(it was dark blue), a Qtip diped in mineral spirits. If you get most of it off on a rag, you can slowly rub off a bit at a time, then you don't have to worry about scratching through the blackening and see the shiny metal below.

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

So you get paid during recovery? Are you getting a bionic shipmodeling arm? 

Since the incident happened at work (and as I'm a full-time employee), then, Yeah, all expenses are covered.

As to a bionic-modelling arm - with separate functions for latheing masts/spars; serving ropes; circular saw/hand ...

Well, I shall definitely suggest it to the surgeon.

(But, I doubt it will be covered by insurance)

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Oh great, Cap'n Steve, the Borg. You will be assimilated...

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Cap't Steve I would put the "white stuff" on with an airbrush and do it in very light coats. That way the detail would be accented not hidden. Besides one of your hinges will not be painted any way. Good job on the arcane art of coloring metal.

David B

Edited by dgbot

This be jus' a quick update afore Our Hero be heading off to hospital to have his bionic modelling arm fitted for minor surgery.

"Me rudder doth have-eth full lateral movement an' all, but before I go tick-ething anything further from the list," CaptainSteve opined, "I be still lookin' to touch-up the final look o' the lower pintle an' gudgeon arrangement."

More than likely, Our Hero will add a few light touches of white to the blackened metal, in order that most of the black is visible. Time will tell.

"Any-hoo, before I go dry-brushing anything, here be some o' me latest pics ..."

post-675-0-16088200-1425286306_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-29030700-1425286309_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-14328400-1425286312_thumb.jpg

Note: The above photos were more for Our Hero's usage in checking his work ...

"I be really a-hatin' close-up photography !!!", he was heard to grumble. 

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

The rudder and tillers look good, Cap'n. And your base looks great.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Excellent job on the entire rudder assembly! Hope your surgery goes well.

Good luck with the cut and paste on the arm.   And feel free to complain, this isn't Monty Python: "It's just a flesh wound!".

I'm liking your build.   Looking sweet.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Steve,

Good Luck Steve with the surgery. I hope rehap includes building models to get the arm back in shape there. Nice progress on the launch Sir.

mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Keep on. Knife is knife, and surgeons just like to cut (my experience with dental surgeon, surgeon who fixed me after fallin' from my son's bike, and friend of mine (surgeon) who caused me to jump and glue to floor screaming, telling me before " it will take 10 seconds without any pain, just lay down and relax..." Considering I didn't kill him then ..)

Waitin for your return

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Arrr ...

"It doth be but a flesh wound !!"

Thanks one and all fer the comments and well-wishin' ... much appreciated.

And thank you, Mark, I have every intention of complaining ... coz me arm feels bloody sore indeed at the moment!!

But, the surgery apparently went well, and as you can plainly see, CaptainSteve survived, though he didst come through with a greatly-reduced typing speed for some time to come.

By the way, as any one of you who has ever been in hospital will know, there are certain formalities necessary upon being admitted. After identifying myself and providing DOB etc etc, the nurse asked me: "And what are you here for today??".

Without blinking, CaptainSteve didst most truly reply, "To have a bionic arm installed."

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Incidentally, at the very last moment, some paint was slapped-eth about the place a-fore CaptainSteve left for the Hospital.

Pics were taken ... but were not processed until post-surgery today.

post-675-0-90390000-1425447036_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-47323100-1425447040_thumb.jpg

post-675-0-30552400-1425447043_thumb.jpg

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Cap'n, glad you're back. Follow the doctor's orders for healing up.

Nice work on the rudder gudgeons and pintles.

Ken

Glad to see the carving the doc did to your arm didn't have any--ahem---ill effects there Captain. That rudders looking sweet all painted and mounted too.

Do what the saw-bones says and keep that arm put up for a while.

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Nice to see you back and still in one piece Captn. Love those rudder shots and appreciate the work that's gone into it. Thanks.

Rest up and do as your told, that's the quickest way back to full health.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Do what the saw-bones says and keep that arm put up for a while.

Now here's a most fortunate conundrum, George ...

Normally, one would be a-leaving the hospital and expect to be laid up for many a day. In CaptainSteve's case, however, the saw-bones didst suggest a most rigorous program of rehab exercises.

Within a very short span o' time, Our Hero beganeth to realize that his rehabilitation couldst most quickly be turned to fashioning a few tholes, the touchething-up of paint-work and the makething of rigging blocks.

No pictures as yet, but there doest appear to be an update to the List ...

post-675-0-56170800-1425653292_thumb.jpg

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

That's good news there Captain. I was just remembering when mine was wounded (broke at the elbow and fixed with a titanium plate and 8 pins),  with-in 16 days, the doctors removed the cast, told me I could go back to work, but be careful. Apparently, they didn't have a grasp as to my kind of work, and I ended up re-breaking it in the same place. After another surgery, and 3 more months off work, it healed. The doc told me because of my age at the time (42) it would take longer to heal. If he knew that, why did he send me back to work?  Doctors----Go figure!!!   :D  :D

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif