Sovereign of The Seas by SawdustDave - FINISHED

Sweet Dave...  I like the details. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Rough shaping complete....

Quite a bit of clean-up, and edge rounding to do yet before I use this carving to pour a new mold.

Not identitical, by a long stretch, but I am far from being a Bill Short.

post-11777-0-76613100-1454025327_thumb.jpg

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

That's rather presentable Dave.  As you said, after some more "cleaning up" it should be close to perfect.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

That is some incredible work Dave, Beautifully done 

Beat Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Clean up went pretty well....

I made several little tweeks - most noticeably the little crown (an obvious mess) was completely replaced by the one seen here.

post-11777-0-88126700-1454073039_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking I should be able to get a pretty good mold from this one.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Dave,

Like almost everyone here, I am in awe of your carving skills, and just love following every update you make. Mayhaps, one day in the distant future, I might try to emulate your work. But, for now, I will strategically stay with ships that are less ornate than your Sovereign.

However, I have some questions for you ...

... most noticeably the little crown (an obvious mess) was completely replaced by the one seen here.

Does this mean that you have only re-carved the crown piece ?? Or the entire badge ?? 

If only the crown, then how on earth do you attach it to the main badge section so seamlessly ??

As a well-known MSWer is famous for asking, enquiring minds need to know ....

PS: Keep up the great work !!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

CapSteve.... Good observation my friend.

Yes, the original crown was so cocked out of alignment, it had to come off, rather than attempt re-shaping.  It was a little bit of a delicate job of joinery, considering the scale, but the hard maple stood up to the challenge like a champ.

Pretty simple, really....

From the original crown, I created a strong square "tab".... Then carved a perfect matching slot on the back side of the new crown.  Result was a bond that is actually stronger than the original.

Here's the back side of the piece.

post-11777-0-39503800-1454110039_thumb.jpg

You'll get a kick out of this....

Poured the mold early this morning and rushed off to play golf with some old friends.  Came home, took a little nap, and then came to the ship yard anxious to pull the mold and make the duplicate badge.

Would you believe, I found that the carving had risen to the top of my rubber mold form.

(tiny bubbles will occur when stirring the two part compound)

So I have a pretty good impression of the back side of the carving....looks like the photo you see here.

YAHAHAHA!

Sawdust Dave -

Clean up went pretty well....

I made several little tweeks - most noticeably the little crown (an obvious mess) was completely replaced by the one seen here.

attachicon.gifshortcarving.JPG

I'm thinking I should be able to get a pretty good mold from this one.

...as we say in Australia - 'Bloody marvellous!!!"  And, that's even in-spite of the cock up.

G'day Dave

Just a quick question? What is the name of the product that you use to make the molds? Again great work on your carvings! Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Thanks for the visits guys.... We're off to a much better start this morning.

First - To answer Greg's Q....

The two-part rubber mold compound ( top pic ) .... Smooth-On Urethane Mold Compound (Part A and Part B )

>  Requires 8 to 10 hours cure time.

The two-part casting compound ( bottom pic ).... Alumilite Liquid Casting Plastic (Part A and Part B )

>  This one, once mixed, you must move pretty fast.... It begins curing in about 30 seconds!

Mann Ease Release.... Extremely important to use before pouring either of the two processes.

post-11777-0-98495500-1454162814_thumb.jpg

Here's a great tip for users of the Smooth-On Mold Compound:

The yellow container (Part A) is extremely reactive to exposure to oxygen.  Consequently,  once opened, the thick clear compound will begin to increasingly become thicker from one use to another.  Within a few weeks of repeated openings and exposing to the air, it tends to become less and less usable. 

I found a pretty good solution as seen here.

Note the Phillips head screw in the top of the container - and the syringe....

post-11777-0-48476400-1454163729_thumb.jpg

This container has never been opened. 

The screw is removed and very quickly replaced with the end of the syringe.... used to draw the fluid from the container.  Then, very quickly replacing the screw to maintain the air-tight seal.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

And here's the result of the re-pouring of the mold last night.

post-11777-0-30033600-1454164245_thumb.jpg

The new mold was absolutely flawless.... which gave me a really fine reproduction part.

On to the paint booth. :cheers:

Sawdust Dave -

Quick update....

The first pic is the way the port side looked before I began ripping it apart....

post-11777-0-03661000-1454329815.jpg

Here's how it looks now....after moving moldings, trims, windows, and either moving or replacing all of the original carvings....

post-11777-0-19471300-1454329836_thumb.jpg

And here's the little badge I've been working on the last few days....

post-11777-0-40651000-1454329854_thumb.jpg

That big blank panel to the left is the next focus.... not sure what will go there yet, but feel it has to be pretty special considering the size and prominent location.

Sawdust Dave -

Yup, that's looking rather splendid Dave. 'm sure you'll come up with something extraordinary for that blank space.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thanks Piet, as always.... Not as easy as I was hoping it would be.

Searching through all my clip art of fancy scrolls, I couldn't find the one to fit my minds eye for that particular panel.... So I began doing some sketching of various concepts.
For better, or worse, here's roughly what I came up with .... a good starting point anyhow. 

Got to start somewhere, right?

post-11777-0-24583100-1454378666_thumb.jpg

Sawdust Dave -

Rough shaping done.... I went back to vinyl for this one because I want to see if I can get the same details using the new scalpel tools.

Just making a final check of the scale before I spend hours on this piece and decide the scale was not right.  Been there, done that.... lol

post-11777-0-01595300-1454382779_thumb.jpg

Think I'll spare you folks all the step-by-step on this one.....like watching grass grow, right?

Pretty day for golf tomorrow.... then poker club night. 

Looks like a short day in the ship yard.

Sawdust Dave -

G'day Dave

Firstly, I thank you to the bottom of my keel for your in depth and informative answer.

Also your work is so impressive.

Havagooday

Greg

Edited by Greg the peg leg sailor

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

Managed to get in a couple of shop hours early this morning, and another couple following our day on the links....absolutely beautiful day.

Plenty of rounding and smoothing with some very smooth bits and very fine sanding sticks.

post-11777-0-67122200-1454451463_thumb.jpg

Hate to put it down right now, but it's almost poker time.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Thanks for dropping in guys.....
Janos.... Thanks again for the excellent advise.  While I still do not have a goat, I've got my eye on my neighbors little dog with stiff short hair.

post-11777-0-29684800-1454466588.jpg

Hmmmmm!

Sawdust Dave -

:D  :D  :D  :D Sounds like a covert operation is in order Dave. By the looks of him, you shouldn't have to worry too much about "him" blowing the whistle.  :P  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Nice work Dave!  Will there be a crown in the center?

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Poured the new mold last night....removed this morning. The casting turned out perfect.

post-11777-0-26874600-1454522181_thumb.jpg

Painted with three coats of metallic gold..... glued in place.

Also carved the little crown and glued in place.

post-11777-0-48543500-1454522286_thumb.jpg

Works for me.... but that panel still doesn't look complete.

I'll come up with something to fill in the corners.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

That came out very nice Dave. 

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Back to play dough.....Sculpy.

Spent the morning playing around with a couple of modeling clay pieces. 

The main advantage I'm looking for is the ability to get a little smoother (rounded) edges.

I'll bake these rough forms in the oven for about 5 minutes (250 degrees), and remove them before they completely cure.... work on some detail refinements.... then back to the oven for another 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

post-11777-0-59983100-1454593726_thumb.jpg

A little more sanding and clean-up will still be required before painting.

Sawdust Dave -

Finally managed to stick all the new stuff in place. 

As you can see, very few of the original panel pieces made the cut.  Same goes for the starboard side, which is now very close to being exactly the same as the port side seen here.

post-11777-0-59976700-1454624683_thumb.jpg

Only the three blank panels below the forecastle left to complete the broadside hull carvings.  Haven't decided what will go there, but, we shall come up with something eventually.

post-11777-0-60834500-1454624894_thumb.jpg

For now, I think I will work on a few more gun port lids and possibly rig another cannon or two. :cheers:

Sawdust Dave -