Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Congratulations Bob. It's all been said by others already, so I'll just echo all of their comments. A truly outstanding build - well done Sir!

A fine lookin' boat she be, Bob.

Congratulations !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thank you Bob for taking us on an awesome journey.

Your log is inspiring and your talent is something to be proud of.

Congratulations !!!!

Mercdaddy

Past Builds: Corel's Victory, Mamoli"s Friesland, Mantua's San Felipe, Model Shipways USS Constitution

Current Project:  Model Shipways USS Syren

Future Project: USF ESSEX

Hi Bob,

Just fabulous and congratulations.

I was a late arrival in following your build, but can now look forward to following along with your Cutter Cheerful build from the start.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Congratulations, Bob! Your Essex is an outstanding model!! You set the bar very high for every Essex modeler who might follow in your footsteps. Personally I was always looking forward to your build log and the progress which was documented there nearly on a day to day basis. Thank you for sharing this! And good luck with Cheerful. I have my chair ready :) 

Thomas 

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Thanks so much again to all who have contributed their generous comments and "likes". Nothing can mean more than receiving such recognition from modelers whose work I respect and admire so greatly. 

Bob

Congratulations Bob she turend out fantastic. Your display room must be getting very cramped with all those models. 

I really enjoyed following your build and look forward to the next one ;-)

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Thanks so much Remco, Janos, Timmo and the "likes".

Remco, we work on a "one in, one out" rule that holds down the overcrowding (I still have 9 in the house  :D ). As soon as Essex goes in her case (now being made), an existing model will be shipped to one of my daughters.

BTW, I will probably be starting my Cheerful log later today.

Bob

Guest Tim I.

Thanks so much Remco, Janos, Timmo and the "likes".

Remco, we work on a "one in, one out" rule that holds down the overcrowding (I still have 9 in the house  :D ). As soon as Essex goes in her case (now being made), an existing model will be shipped to one of my daughters.

BTW, I will probably be starting my Cheerful log later today.

Bob

Yay! I am really excited to see your Cheerful log.

My wife and I work on a similar arrangement. Now to finish my active projects.

- Tim

Guest Tim I.

Tim, it's good to have an understanding wife. Mine has put up with my "eccentricities" for 53 years.  :D  :D

Bob

Agreed! My wife's primary condition is that I build the C.W. Morgan for her soon. She wants to put the finished ship in the dining room next to a tapestry we have from Nantucket. 

- Tim

Congratulations Bob !!!!!!!

She is a real beauty and you can be proud of her !!!!!!

Thanks for taking me by the hand on this great journey.........

I enjoy every minute of it !!

Sjors

Bob,

I just scrolled through this build log.  Amazing work!  Your other builds are inspiring as well.  And I know what you mean about aging eyes.  At 45, I just found out I need reading glasses for the first time.

Erik

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As usual, Bob, I'm late to the party. But I just wanted to repeat what everyone else has already said - amazing work - I remember following early on and watching you struggle with this kit - I'm glad you finished it too! It looks gorgeous and is a great credit to your skills. I've been absent here a while due to other work, but I'll be keeping up on your Cheerful as she comes along. Bye for now and congratulations again!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Bob thank-you for a very enjoyable lunch break

just been through you log from the start - you made a lovely job of your build - well done

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing build , I noticed that all,the M.S. Kits use the same building techniques . The Niagara, confederacy, syren and Essex are built the same way. The Essex is my next build since I've completed the others. I'll refer to your excellent log for useful tips. Thanks for sharing. A.j.

I noticed in my kit that some of the laser cut gratings are really off badly. Did you have similar parts so off the mark.

Edited by greatgalleons

Thanks so much greatgalleons. I had the original kit, which had all kinds of problems. Basically, I discarded the kit parts. However, the gratings were an exception and I used them out of the box.

Bob

Frolick, your wildly over-generous comment is greatly appreciated. The future is now. I've gone in the other direction, and am now building Chuck's Cheerful cutter (the log is referenced in my signature).

Bob

• 3 years later...

Bob I just discovered your build log of Essex. Just beautiful! I have opened up my 2015 version of this kit from Model Expo today to get ready for a display/demo at one of our local museums. I too plan a bit of bashing of this kit as I just don't like basswood for many modeling applications. Sam is a member of our local group and has been enlightening me on the research aspects as well as modeling. You give me inspiration and drive to continue the journey.

Joe

Thanks so much Joe. Although my build started out as a study in frustration, it turned out to be very satisfying, and one of my favorite completed builds. I wish you the best and hope that you do a log.  Please feel free to ask me any questions that may come up, and say hello to Sam from me.

Bob

Bob I walk a fine line here. Sam is a good friend and very helpful. He has taken some shots over his bow in regard to this kit and anything I say is basically a comment related to manufacturing and control of process. He spoke to our group in early 2016 on kit development and proofing. That is why I think Chuck Passaro is so smart to have trusted people perform beta builds. Chuck's big advantage as well is that he is designer and manufacturer. Sam as you so aptly communicated did not have this control. My early 2015 version of this kit has started slow as the former and bulkheads do not match up well. All bulkheads had to be adjusted so as to fit nicely to the former by adding veneer to the bulkhead slots. In comparison the bulkhead slots are .21 while the former is 0.168 thick. I have spent about 5 hours adjusting those slots for a slip fit. Undaunted I move ahead.

BTW this 2015 version does not provide the access below gun deck for further detailing either. Not sure I will move in that direction as of this time.

Thank you for your kind offer of help. It is always easier when someone has plowed ahead of you. I will consider your suggestion and not muddy up your log with my woes but if allowed seek your guidance as I move ahead.

Joe