Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

It's taken me a bit, but I've now finished the yards and rigging of the fore mast. Aging eyes and hands, combined with small scale, have made this a slow and difficult task.

After my last update, in which I had finished the lower yard and started the topsail yard, I completed that yard and mounted them both on the pins in the mast. The only item of note on the topsail yard is the parrel, which I made up from pear strip, shaped and drilled, and small beads.

The rigging then proceeded through the jeers, slings, trusses, parrel, lifts, clews, sheets, tyes, halliards and braces, and ended with the lower clew garnets, sheets and tacks. The lines were tied off to various timber heads, pins, rails and bitts and rope coils were added.

Now I get to repeat this process on the main and mizzen.

Bob

post-186-0-50086700-1429016239_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-94771800-1429016268_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-22384600-1429016309_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-56657800-1429016357_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-76521800-1429016387_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-32847600-1429016541_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-33452500-1429016579_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-06943400-1429016604_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob.

You're masts and rigging are outstanding. So crisp and clean. I'm really enjoying following along.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Man Bob, you are doing a fantastic job. I'm on the main mast Jeers and lifts on my 1/96 Constitution build and to me its a tight working space,  Thanks for the close up pictures, they are a help.   Your working in a smaller scale yet make it look so easy, neat, and clean.   Scott

Current Builds:  Revell 1:96 Thermopylae Restoration

Revell 1:96 Constitution COMPLETED

Aeropiccola HMS Endeavor IN ORDINARY

Planned Builds: Scientific Sea Witch

Marine Models USF Essex

A pleasure to see what a real craftsman can do.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

very nice rigging Job Bob,

so many familiar sequences from your (builds) pics,........Yards,  the one with the parral tyed to one side, hanging down, etc..., been just a couple of days ago....

Your process is performed masterly and exactly, very good looking. Its going to be a "eyecatcher", that rigging of yours

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hey Bob - GREAT photographs...and your rigging looks pretty good too :) .  You are setting a high bar for future ESSEX builders, but you are also assisting them immeasurably by providing such wonderful clear pictures of what the rigging and the details of the ship are supposed to look like.  That's something novice builders like me struggle with - visualizing how something is supposed to look.  Your build log is better than a practicum.  Thank you for taking the time to share your work with the rest of us.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Now that's REALLY nice work Bob. :) I love your rope coils too - they are very realistic in appearance.

Again, a time when a few 'likes' is totally insufficient. 

Outstanding - even by your high standards.

Edited by KenW

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Thanks so much Gary, Grant, Ken, Thomas, Terry and the "likes". I am blown away by the praise and support.

Gary, you make me wish that I were more confident that I've gotten some of it right.

Terry, I'd be happy to accept. :D  :D  :D  ;)

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

The end of this journey is now in sight, although not yet just around the corner.

I decided to do the topgallant and royal yards on both the main and mizzen masts at the same time. I made this choice because of the criss-crossing of braces between them and the tightness of the space. I think it was a good choice. Work in this area has not been completed because I ran out of some rigging line and blocks and am awaiting my next delivery from Chuck (they come quickly). In my haphazard way of planning, I consistently and continually underestimate my needs for line and blocks and have to order more. In any event, this seemed a good time for an update showing current progress.

Upon arrival of my delivery, I will complete work on the rigging of these yards and then move on to the topsail and lower yards, as well as the boom and gaff.

Bob

post-186-0-17768200-1429967261_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-69689700-1429967289_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-31779400-1429967315_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-24785000-1429967342_thumb.jpg

Guest Tim I.

Bob,

Masterful work as always. My kit finally arrived about a week ago. I have not had a chance to photograph it, to document the changes made to it.

I am sure for all those that follow you in working on this kit, your build will be the "how-to" litmus test!

- Tim

Edited by Tim I.

Bob,

your rigging Looks very good, neat, accurate, taught lines, and realistic run of lines, shall love to see more when your logistics are replenished....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

Bob, WOW!  That photo one page back (pg 93) is amazing!  I guarantee that if I ever get to rigging my Essex your rigging will be my guide.  As others have said, thanks so much for ALL your photos and taking the time to document building your model.

Amazing!

Wes Cook

Current Build: USF Constitution (Model Shipways)

USF Essex (Scratch build)

MS Syren (build log lost, need to rebuild)

Future Builds: MS Confederacy

You're setting the standard ..... and it's gold.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Great job on the rigging Bob. As Augie said its pure gold.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks so much to all of you for the overly generous comments and for the "likes". It's just what I need to keep the arthritic fingers moving  ;)  :)  :) .

Tim, I'm very curious as to just how much change ME has made to the kit. I'd be as much concerned about the drawings as the parts.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I've now done the main lower and topsail yards and their rigging. The making of the yards was identical to that shown for the comparable fore yards. The rigging was also very similar, although the increasingly tight spaces in which to work have made the process slower and more difficult.

With this work, the main mast is now complete, except for a few lines that seem better left until the mizzen is done ( topsail and lower braces, lower sheets). I'm now making the mizzen topsail and lower yards and the boom and gaff. The end is in sight.

Bob

post-186-0-30321800-1431441459_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-38464600-1431441496_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-29161600-1431441722_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-86815200-1431441755_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-03174100-1431441968_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-85824300-1431442007_thumb.jpg

Bob,

your rigging looks fantastic. I like that  worked in wooden bar (lowest "ratline" ) of the upper shrouds, it also provides a secure hold to the deadeyes and their lacings

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed