Frigate Essex by Rafine - FINISHED - Model Shipways - Kitbashed

Beautiful work Bob,

I like the anchors shaped from Wood and blackened afterwards, also the bouys look great, very nice Fitting out details

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks so much Tim, Grant, Nils and the "likes". 

Tim, I will miss this build ,as well. 

Nils, unlike you, I am no good at working with metal. That's why I make the anchors from wood.

Bob

I finally made my decision. The choices were: 1) abandon the project (totally unacceptable); 2) try to get a whole new kit from ME and begin again ( not likely to happen); 3) get replacement parts from ME and tear out the bow and stern framing (possible, but not likely for a while and probably a pain to accomplish); 4) try to correct the bulkheads (worth at least a try, since I'd still be able to remove them later).

I started with the stern bulkheads. The last four were improperly sized and shaped. The simplest fix seemed to be to add wood to them and then sand to shape, which is what I have done. I added 1/16" x 3/16 " strips that were wet heat bent to shape and glued on in layers as seemed to be needed. The two sides were different because I had previously tried to fair one side. After these had set up, I faired both sides. I can only say that now the stern area is faired to a point where battens fit. I have no idea whether the lines I have faired to are "correct" or whether the port framing I have done by extrapolating from incorrect drawings will turn out right down the road. I'm hoping for the best.

The photos show the sequence of the work and the current state of the stern area. Now it's on to the bow.

Bob

I have come in way late on this build, but you have done excellent work.

I ended up doing much of the same with my bulkhead work on the MS Fair American.  It has been a real pain trying to hull plank this model, but after inserting many balsa blocks between the offending bulkheads, I believe I will be able to fair up the hull to continue my planking.

Thanks for all your support.

Jeff

Current Build:       Model Shipways MS2015 - Fair American Kit bash

Previous Build:     J-Class Endeavor

Nice work Bob. She's at that finish line. Nice to see this one coming to an end. 

Current/But Not immediate Build Logs

I am still gathering the tools I need but starting preliminary work. Nothing to show just yet.

Fair American

Armed Virginia Sloop.

Thanks so much Jeff, Jimz and the "likes".

Jeff, I'm following your Fair American. The FA was one of my favorite builds, although , as you say, it had it's share of framing problems. Not even close, though, to the issues on Essex.

Bob

Hi Bob.

It's been real fun following along with you on this build and admiring your wonderful workmanship.

I'll miss this build almost as much as you probably will. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi Bob,

Well I'm finishing up an Occre Xebec "Cazador" for my grandson. Been building it on and off for three years now. No build log but I'll post pics when completed. Got some catching up to do on various things around the home that I'm behind on too. Hopefully that will put me on track to start the Cheerful when you do. I've ordered the parts and plans now I just need to get things squared away.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

All the plaudits are well deserved Bob, she looks absolutely fantastic, even without a small boat.

Looking forward to your next project mate.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

DONE!! Essex is now completed. The last item was the lantern kit from Caldercraft that just arrived from the UK. Etched brass with a white metal top and base and brass rod support. A fussy little piece to do, but correct in size and shape.

Essex has now sat for her completion portraits and it is time for some reflection on the past almost two years that I have worked on her:

1) This was a great challenge. Those who have followed along from the beginning will remember that I almost gave up in frustration at the problems that presented themselves. I'm very glad that I didn't. It turned into an enjoyable and rewarding experience. I had my doubts about how things would turn out and some of my fears were realized --  for example, the placement of the quarterdeck gun ports turned out wrong when I did the rigging. This was my fault for not having thought it through well enough when I was making the various structural changes that were required. I thank everyone for kindly not pointing out the errors  when they appeared.

2) I will not do another model at this small a scale again. The problems of aging eyes and arthritic hands made some of the very small work and particularly the rigging in very close quarters a pain. This probably also means that this may be the last large complex ship that I will model. My current plan is to stick to smaller vessels in larger scales. Chuck's Cheerful is next.

3) Some words of warning and encouragement to those wishing to build the "new" Essex kit. I have not seen it, but I've read the posts from some who have. If the drawings have not been changed, you will have problems. The drawings have scale issues, inconsistency issues and, according to Sam Cassano, were not his final drawings. Using the AOTS Essex as an additional reference is a help, but care will still be required to make it all work. Having said that, I think that anyone with moderate skills and some experience can turn out a creditable model. I would love to see some logs started, and I would be happy to provide any help that may be desired.

Thanks to all for the interest, the generous thoughts and comments and the help and encouragement throughout this project. It is always appreciated and is what makes this site so great. A special thank you to Sam for all his help and a wish for his good health.

Bob

post-186-0-53284100-1434027011_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-12245200-1434027059_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-80627300-1434027098_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-74814600-1434027135_thumb.jpg

post-186-0-10867900-1434027176_thumb.jpg

Let me also be among the first to congratulate you on a job well done.  As Dirk said, it's hard to believe it's been 2 years.  

Having been on board since the beginning, I'm aware of the frustrations both you and Sam went through to make these last incredible photos a reality.  I applaud both your perseverence and skills.  It's been an adventure and a pleasure at the same time.  I'm glad you were the first to tackle her.

I'm hoping we hear some good news from Sam in future.

Can't wait to see you tackle some projects at a larger scale.  I'm not far behind you.

Once again, well done, mate!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Bob.

Tremendous job. You've made a fantastic model from what was truly a, let's say, difficult start. Your perseverance really paid off two fold. You ended up with what was an enjoyable experience and we had the pleasure and a tremendous amount of enjoyment following along.

Well done mate and on to the new build!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Bravo Bob, Bravo!  Yes, this was a challenge, and all of us who avidly followed your build admired your skill and care in resolving all the issues.  Not only have you completed a great build, but your log will provide guidance for anyone thinking about taking on the Essex -- if anything, you have improved the kit!

Encore Bravo! and good cheer with the Cheerful! 

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

congratulations to this beautiful frigate model Bob,

ship and rigging look fantastic

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Guest Tim I.

Bob,

Your Essex is exquisite!

Thank you for charting the course (albeit a difficult one) for those Essex builders that will follow.

I look following your Cheerful build.

- Tim

Congratulations!!!   You have created a truly wonderful looking model.  I still use your logs as reference for my efforts.

Best of luck on the Cheerful. 

Cheers.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Plaudits are well deserved Bob, I will add mine now, She's an absolute picture mate, very well done, perseverance has paid off in droves. :im Not Worthy:  :champagne-popping-smiley-emotic

Good luck on the Cheerful.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

WTG BOB WELL DONE>>> WELL DONE>>> BRAVO ZULO WELL DONE>.... 

Current/But Not immediate Build Logs

I am still gathering the tools I need but starting preliminary work. Nothing to show just yet.

Fair American

Armed Virginia Sloop.

Bob -

Simply BEAUTIFUL  - A fantastic job!!!  Thank you for letting us look over your shoulder as you built her.  I know I learned a lot from you on this one.  

Well done.  <<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Well done,... a stellar effort on both the build and log ---

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Congratulations on a beautiful Essex, Bob.   Splice the mainbrace!!!  :cheers:  And well-deserved splicing it will be.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)