18th Century Longboat by MikeB4 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/4"=1'

I've laid down the floorboards and platforms. I'm thinking about ripping up the platform at the bow though because it's slightly off. I'll give it a little brake for now and return to it later and see how I feel about it.

post-7274-0-00801700-1436029069_thumb.jpg

very nicely done Mike

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 weeks later...

I've hand painted the hull under the water line. Nothing ended up under the masking tape which was a nice surprise when I pulled off the masking tape.I thought for sure something would have seeped under like on the last project I did. In the future I would like to start using an airbrush, but for now I'm doing everything with a brush. I'm going to make sure the paint is fully dry before adding a coat of poly over the white paint..

post-7274-0-42351700-1436729198_thumb.jpg

Really nice work on this tough little model.   Its a tricky build and you are doing great.   :)

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to to try and customize some wooden belaying pins because it will be a little more accurate to the period. The only pins that I could find are the right length but they are much to wide,So I carved them down using my power drill like a lathe. With some practice I could probably get much more accurate but this will do for now.

post-7274-0-54695900-1438536061_thumb.jpg

post-7274-0-59843700-1438536071_thumb.jpg

Yes, they look much better!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I Put together the cockpit.The hinges where a bit challenging I used 28 gauge wire and a material I bought at a hobby store called Bare-metal. It's an adhesive metal foil that comes on a sheet in various colors. I got the one called black chrome and with a little patience it seems to have worked out pretty good. I'm going to paint the cockpit seats and locker in red. I also need to do some paint touch up on some areas where the paint has chipped off.

post-7274-0-64905900-1439070606_thumb.jpg

Edited by MikeB4

Thanks Mike.  It's interesting to see how MSW can have a bunch of people build the same model, get impressive results, yet have each turn out as a distinctly unique individual model.  Since you're a handful of step ahead of me, I'm following your build closely!

Erik

• 3 weeks later...

Looks very good!

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I've completed the windlass. I thought this was going to be much more difficult than it actually was, especially connecting the windlass to risers. If you follow Chuck's advise and take your time, you should have no problems. I actually got it to pivot on the pins which I didn't think it would be possible. I didn't use any glue to assemble this part.

post-7274-0-76487200-1441627352_thumb.jpg

post-7274-0-88808300-1441627368_thumb.jpg

Edited by MikeB4

I installed the oar locks, I used masking tape to try and mark the proper locations and spacing between each lock. My efforts had a less than perfect outcome but I can live with it.

post-7274-0-95897700-1442005005_thumb.jpg

post-7274-0-46142400-1442005021_thumb.jpg

I've carved out the area where the pintles will go on the rudder, this will give a better bond and the pintles are flush with the rudder. I hand carved the tiller with an arch instead of the straight version, this was time consuming but quite satisfying after it was done. now I will proceed with painting the rudder.

post-7274-0-83480700-1442181706_thumb.jpg

post-7274-0-17447800-1442181721_thumb.jpg

post-7274-0-46316500-1442181734_thumb.jpg

Eric,

yes, I used left over scrap wood from the kit, There's plenty of it. I made it from the piece of wood that the oars where laser cut from.It was the perfect thickness for the tiller

Mike 

Great looking rudder.  I like those little detail decorations on it also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful little boat!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a flea market this past weekend and came across this. The seller didn't know which vessel it came from, only that it was out of Cape Cod. I don't know what I'm going to do with this, but I had to buy it.

post-7274-0-23281000-1443517326_thumb.jpg

Edited by MikeB4

Mike, I would hang it on the wall in the workshop, as decoration. Our workshops should have a nautical theme.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

• 1 month later...

I've completed the mast. I found tying the blocks to be more of a challenge than I had anticipated. looking at the remaining seven blocks they are tied in different ways. I'll need to do some research on this subject before proceeding.

post-7274-0-06842100-1446942451_thumb.jpg

Mike,

did you inserted a pin at the end of the mast for the mast step?

I have made the mast step piece to be attached inside of the boat.

It has a tiny hole so maybe a pin is better than trying to shape the mast?!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry