HMS Blandford by hamilton - FINISHED - from Corel HMS Greyhound - 1:100

Thanks Andy - I try not to sin too much and where I do, I prefer the venal to the cardinal! Usually more fun anyway. Your words bring some relief - thanks again!

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

the shrouds are really looking nice and really add to the build.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Thanks John!

I'm now getting to that stage of the build where it's difficult to get decent photos....so the updates might be a bit sparser in the picture department. 

Since the last update, I've done only a little bit. I've fitted the lower deadeyes for the main topmast shrouds and added sheer poles, futtock staves and futtock shrouds to mizzen and main masts. I've also added the jeers blocks to both fore and main masts (with the jeers seized into them). Tonight I also added the crowsfeet and crowsfeet tackle to the mizzen mast and stay. For my first attempt I feel ok about it, but I could certainly have done a better job. The 2mm blocks that Alistair sent are a good fit - and not too difficult to handle. But the tackle line itself I didn't get quite right and I have to practice making smaller seizings...As for the crowsfeet themselves, I made the mistake of using a thicker upholstry thread for them - slightly thicker than normal sewing thread and easier to handle. But now that I look at it, I feel that sewing thread would have looked a little better - I doubt, however, I will redo them at this point - it would involve a lot more than just redoing the crowsfeet.....

Making the euphroe block was a little difficult and the one I made for the mizzen is quite sharply out of scale. In the end I got a decent one starting with 1.5 x 4mm walnut. I drilled holes in the wood strip first and the using a sanding block I narrowed and thinned the wood to get a more or less appropriate shape...Again, I'm hoping the second time will improve the results. Here are a couple of shots of the recent progress. The shot of the crowsfeet does not show them in their best light, but I've fond it very difficult to get a good shot in focus.

Anyway, the build is really slowing down as we gear up for the new baby and work ramps up. I was initially hoping to have it finished by the baby's due date - November 24. This will probably not happen. But we are getting pretty excited about the new arrival. Enjoy the photos and happy modelling

hamilton

post-304-0-79671000-1381042435_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-91148700-1381042466_thumb.jpg

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Great work Hamilton. It is hard to see that this is at 1:100 - it looks 1:64 at the very least. The tiny scale you are working at isn't evident in the photo's - it could be any scale and that speaks to your skill.

Congratulations on the soon to arrive baby. I can imagine that will curtail ship time...I hope it all goes well in every respect.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Hi Hamilton,

Looks really very nice... Very well detailed even at this scale, also on the rigging...

Through the photos some white ropes seem not stretched, as they are not under tension...

Let me know if you would leave them as they are?...

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Thanks Alistair & Ferit:

The scale is quite daunting for the little tasks, to be sure. As for the slackness in the lines - in some cases the lines haven't been rigged - the jeers I had to seize into the upper jeers blocks so they had to go on when the blocks did, though they won't get rigged for a while and will go on dangling and getting in the way until the lower yards are fitted. Also, I had to put on the mizzen topsail yard halliard well before the yard itself since (following Lees) it is seized with an eye onto the mizzen topmast. It is always my preference to attach these lines while the masts are off the ship as it reduces the complexity and danger of trying to attach them amidst the spider web of other rigging....

There are other lines, however - and in the photos the mizzen topmast shrouds and the crowsfeet tackle are obvious culprits - where it is builder error that has led to an imperfect look. The more I look at the crowsfeet tackle, for instance, the more I want to redo it entirely. I think I could re-do it without too much bother....and if I get through all my house chores and grade enough of my student's essays I may try this evening, in tandem with the main crowsfeet and main catharpins....So while the crowsfeet themselves are by no means perfect, fixing the tackle will hopefully go some way toward making the whole rig look a little better.....

hamilton

Well normally I spend my Sunday nights modelling, but this time I've got too much work to do and am grading essays instead. However, I thought I'd share a couple of photos with you - not of the Blandford. 

This afternoon I took my son and his friend to the Vancouver Maritime Museum where the St. Roch is housed. The museum is being renovated so the ship is closed unfortunately. There is a small marina close to the museum where boats of interest are often docked. Today we found the North Star, Canada's only fully rigged ship. It is pretty small, but the rig is quite impressive and of extreme interest on such a strange vessel. I just have a shot up into the rigging, so sorry for the lack of context....

post-304-0-47748700-1381115278_thumb.jpg

The second photo is of a future project - I've been toying with the idea of this one for a while, and when I saw the kit at the museum gift shop and compared with what I would pay shipping it from an online supplier I snatched it up! Once I get through a couple of other builds I'll start a log on this one!

post-304-0-95919200-1381115300_thumb.jpg

Bye for now

hamilton

Hi Hamilton,

If that is the North Star of Herschel Island I just want to point out that the rig is a dummy rig. Those sails are never set and the vessel motors everywhere.  

The "ship" used to live in Victoria for a number of years and I had seen it many times. It's really a huge stretch give it credit for the rig it displays.

Sorry to be such a downer but really, it's just a boat with lots of sticks.

Peter

Build Log: Billing - Cutty Sark

In The Gallery: HMS Unicorn, HMAV Bounty, L'Etoile, Marie Jeanne, Lilla Dan, Zeeschouw "Irene"

A Toast: To a wind that blows, A ship that goes, And the lass that loved a sailor!

She's a fine looking schooner you've picked out!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hello all:

I was just looking at a couple of other build logs and noticed that the crowsfeet are in white or hemp line rather than black....I went in assuming that this was an element of the standing rigging and so added them in black - should they be hemp? If so I will absolutely re-do them....thanks in advance

hamilton

Hi Hamilton

I just had a look at Volume IV of the TFFM and the crowsfeet by Greg Antsherl are in a tan rather than tarred line. They are also incredibly fine compared to most model rigs you'll see of this element (and he identifies that they are usually presented overly thick). So based on the impeccable research in this book, make them fine and natural rather than tarred. (BTW - if you can spring for it, this volume is, in my opinion, a rigging bible no matter what ship).

Glad you got the 2mm blocks and they suit. I'd hate to have to handle them myself but it seems you are up for it.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Hi Alistair. Thanks a lot for this info - I've been looking at the Antscherl set but it is currently off the table....especially after I've purchased not one but 2 more model kits!!! The Amati Hannah in a Bottle and the Mamoli Yacht America. The latter will be a gift for a friend - I've been promising them for a while so....that's my excuse anyway.

And now you've decided me - I will re-do the crowsfeet in tan rigging line and using finer material. I was already leaning in this direction given the prominents of this feature and the clumsiness of my first attempt. I think BE earlier suggested using fine sewing thread - I have some from Model Expo that came with one or another kit....though the quality is not great - I may invest in something at my go-to place.

The blocks have worked out great - though I need more practice in attaching them in a way that doesn't look so clunky! Unfortunately I have a tendency to practice on the model rather than off.....Thanks again!

hamilton

Hello Hamilton,

Contemplating a ship in a bottle - now you are a glutton for punishment! :)  :)  :) 

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

A glutton for punishment....? Probably! I just thought the ship in a bottle would be an interesting challenge - something different to try....Since I started this I've always wanted to build one, though now that I see the instructions.....well, let's just say that I'm less worried about rigging the Blandford....I'll start a build log here once I start - though I think I'll do the OcCre Dos Amigos first and then the Yacht America before the Hannah....then there's the Syren and the Bellona!!! Sheesh! What have I done!!!

hamilton

Definitely deeply in denial!

Well I thought I would just quickly update the results of my re-doing of the mizzen crowsfeet (and adding the crowsfeet on the main mast). Thanks to Alistair for the encouragement & BE for the tips on materials.

Now that this is figured out I can finally move ahead - first to the main topmast and then to the foremast shrouds & stays and on and on....

hamilton

post-304-0-78975100-1381300367_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-58731200-1381300348_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-84527200-1381300394_thumb.jpg

post-304-0-43175800-1381300417_thumb.jpg

Very very nice Hamilton, I just love those crows feet, they seem such a big step in the build. :dancetl6:

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Pretty good?  Must be heavy weather on the Great Lakes.  They look terrific from the Rockies :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks for the comments all! I feel like I've been in limbo on this build for a while - hopefully something resembling progress will occur soon

hamilton

The crowsfeet look really great Hamilton. Greg's Resolution rig has a similar fineness and it is a much better look than the previous black lines. Must have been a pain to redo but it was well worth it. As for "being in limbo" - you are one of the speed kings here and that is observed with no loss of observable quality. Great work.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Hey Hamilton, looking great.  I have the Amati Hannah in a bottle as well that I've been working on in parallel to my Badger build.  It's a bit tricky to work at that scale to say the least  :huh:  I'm just about done with mine, but decided to make things even more difficult by adding water to the bottle.  It's a fun little kit though.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Alistair and hello Mike!

The Hannah does look like a challenge - I read through a build log for it that used to be over on Dry Dock Models back when that forum was still around and I ended up finding the same log posted elsewhere on the web - I see you're not keeping one. I anticipate that the scale is going to be a challenge, but I've found that every build has both frustrations and joys! Do you have some images of your Hannah in progress? Water in the bottle sounds like a great addition, but I assume that this also will influence how you finish the hull.....anyway thanks for coming by

hamilton