Hr. Ms. O 19 by Piet - 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50, submarine Royal Navy Netherlands - Finished

I like the basboard very much Piet. I am also looking for a baseboard and I want to make it out of solid oak, but my baseboard will be much smaller. Regards, Kees

sweet!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks everybody for your comments and likes, much appreciated.

I put one more thin coat of stain on the trim molding and it seems to improve it some.  I did a test piece without the conditioner and it seemed a little better, still not penetrating into the wood the way I expect a die to do.  Hey, this is soft pine and should soak the stuff up like a sponge.  I like the color but not the unevenness.  

I tried using a leather die Remco recommended for the teak deck slats for the O19 and that works real great.  It's a water based die but the color has an dark orangie tint to it and not really suitable for this board.  However, if a water based die works better then an oil based die then I could possible go to plan C and rip all the molding off and and use a water based die - - - only after I try it first  B)

Provided I can find a dark water based die.  Have to do some searching in the Internet.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Piet....Before you give up on it, just give it a good sanding with a medium grit to open up the grain a little. Then apply your stain with a cloth....wiping with the grain. Then use a fine sandpaper to sand lightly. Steel wool to get really fine finish.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Oh, I'm not yet giving up Dave and will bring this board with me for the big show.  I have done everything that's normally involved with staining.  There's something with this wood that won't allow the oil based stain to penetrate deep into the wood.  This morning I used a piece of hard wood to rub over it and saw an oily mass being pushed ahead of the wood, yet it feels dry.

I decided to go ahead and finish it with the poly urethane finish and make up my mind how to proceed from here, later.  I think I need to find some water based stain to give that a try.

Thanks to all for the likes, it's encouraging,

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

Try a carpenter, I got my stain for the Dolphin from one ... I'll have to check later on, but I seem to remember there are some alcohol based stains too ... don't know if they stain one's insides aswell ... ;)

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Found that I used the spirit based dye me-self ... getting old ... and probably cranky ;)  Anyways ... found you an url, you'll probably need to look a bit further, but it's a start ... http://www.bormawachs.com/gb/dyes/314-spiritusbeize.html  If your Dutch isn't lost entirely :P  have a look here: http://www.meubeluniek.nl/contents/nl/d6_afwerking.html (sorry folks, no translation :o )

Carl

Thanks for the URL's Carl even the one in Dutch  ;)   Just wonder how much the shipping charges will be AND if the airlines can transport spritus based stuff.  

I'll do some more digging whenever I find the time between all the extra things I'm involved with - - - outside of modeling  :(

I have put two coats of poly on the board and it's not looking all that bad.  Some more sanding and a few more very light thin coats then I'll cal it quits.  I'll deal with plan C after I come back from the Fayetteville shindig in two weeks.  I'm looking forward to it but hope my old Chevy S10 will hold up.  The O19 is too long for the Buick so I'll have use the old truck.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet!!!

I didn't know (for people less familliar with the Amercan colloquial, like me self): Shinding

A small party, not quite full scale. Generally a shindig consists of 5-20 people hanging out at the host's house, but they may be held at other locations such as a beach. Shindigs almost always involve alcoholic beverages, usually beer. Often, marijuana is smoked as well. :o :o :o  ;):P

Carl

now your thinking back to Frankie and Annette :D   too cool!  watch out Piet.........folks might mistake you for a parade float

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Cut it out you guys, you are cracking me up  :D  :D  :D  :P

Well, Carl, I hope there'll be hundreds of people attending this auction.  There may be beer but no weed.

George, you can contact SawdustDave, he is building the Sovereign of the Seas.  He is the organizer and has all the details.  It'll be quite ride from where you are but there is always the airlines.  ;)  ;)  :o  :rolleyes:

I'm watching out alright Popeye.  Oh yeah, Frankie and Annette, remember them well - that's when I owned a nice '55 Chevy BellAir..  Loved to cruise downtown Red Bank, New Jersey, hoping to attract one of the fair maidens  ;)

By the way, the build board now has three thin coats of poly on it.  Some more sanding and a few more coats.  I may even have to buy a new can of that stuff.  It's surprisingly not looking too bad.  But plan C is still in the future.

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

If I know you, it will be perfect when done.

Almost "Show Time" pal. Can't wait to see the O 19 up close and personal.

Mass media coverage has lined up real nicely. Wish you were around to take care of the talking.... TV cameras make me a little nervous.

Sawdust Dave -

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

So it won't be a shinding ... no use for me to pop over ... ;)

And I thought you have a fair maiden :o, don't let Gwen hear you  mate ;)

You encounter the same problems with your 'tray', as I with the model cannon's carriage ... up to layer four currently

Edited by cog

Carl

Thanks Dave and Carl for your comments.

Well, Dace, in one of my past lives I acted in 3 three act off-Broadway plays, so yes, I am a ham and not shy with radio or TV  ;)  :rolleyes:   I'm just nervous with having the model in the back of the S-10 pickup.  Thinking of a lightly inflated air mattress with a few pillows on the sides for lateral support.  The VOC ship can take some jolting but will be placed on an old mattress cover.  The two small models go into a box with the bases tied to the bottom.

Truck will go to the fixit shop for a checkover, just to be sure I can make it up to Fayetteville in one piece  :)  :o

No Carl, no shidig, no booze, no weed but you can still come on over  ;)  Yuns don't know this but actually I knew my dear Gwen since 1948!  She was 7 years old then and I was already an old man of 14.  I used to read bedtime stories to her when I was sleeping over.  Her older brother and I were good friends and besides, I had eyes on her oldest sister who was also in my MULO class.  We lost sight of her family after I emigrated to the USA in 1957.  Long story this but after 53 year being together she's still putting up with me  :)

I put # 4 poly coat on the board today and put the O19 on it.  It's not looking too bad.  I'm also on the look-out for an engraver who can do the name plate in brass.  Have't found one yet here locally.  

I have another thought though, raised lettering!  If I can find brass letters and numbers then I can solver solder them to a brass plate.  I could actually cut them out myself - - - very labor intensive work though.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I quit adding more polly, it looks rather presentable for the Fayetteville event in a few weeks.  Plan C is still being contemplated, just need to find the right dye.

Thanks to you who have given me the suggestions.  I have been busy with other things in the last few days, not only domestic chores but also doctor appointments.  Got some very good news about the prostate cancer issue, that seems to have disappeared altogether.  One more annual visit for next year and after that I'm cut loose.

Tomorrow is a pre-op for the bladder cancer and the end of April I'll get the cysto for an inside look.  Let's hope that it looks as good if not better then 2 months ago. 

In any case, I mounted the O19 onto the newly made and finished display board and took it outside for a picture.  I know, I should have added this to the profile part but so what, yuns can see how she looks on the board.

post-1399-0-92669400-1428375858_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Looking mighty fine Mr. Piet. Pappa's smilin' Sorry I haven't been around much - been kinda busy lately. Looks like a Leffe's in order....

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

That's absolutely very good news about the prostate cancer issue Piet! And you've got all my hopes for the same with your other tests. The 019 looks great setting there in all her glory! Outstanding detail you've put into this boat. Downloaded the pic so I could zoom in and admire her proper. 

Good luck tomorrow

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

she looks sweet Piet!   looks great on her new mount  :)   fingers crossed from me too......hope there's good news all the way around!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looks great on the base which has just a bit of a weathered look to it.  Seemingly proper, in my mind.   Good luck on tomorrow and that was great news on the prostate.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday Piet! I know this one's belated, but you'll find an on-time one in your PM! 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Belated Happy Birthday from me also, Piet !  O-19 is looking real good. I have to go back and play catch-up on your build log.

Hello all and thanks for the birthday wishes, also to the ones who PM'd me.  81 Years young - I honestly never thought I'd be this old   ;)   But, living on borrowed time for many years I'm thankful for each and every day.

Well Mark, I'm not too thrilled with the molding but will have to wait till after I come back from Fayetteville, N.C. next week.  I haven't even looked for water or alcohol based stains yet.  

Dave, the models are all stowed in the truck and I hope to shove off between 0600 and 0630 tomorrow morning.  It's gonna be a boring ride all by myself.  Yeah, I'll be careful alright, it's the other drivers I'm worried about.   

Hello Jack, good seeing you again and yes please, go play catch-up.  I'm actually doing the same thing and am at page 59 now.  

Y'all hang in I'll see all yuns next week.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

A very belated happy birthday, maybe I should do it in advance ... you're still young at hart!!! Being 18 yrs old, you'll manage mate!!! See you soon back at the bench

Carl

Guess who the very first face I see in the parking lot as I begin unloading my ships at the Exhibition this evening.... None other.

I knew him as soon as we made eye contact. What an amazing evening we had....and this was just the set up party.

I can hardly wait for tomorrow. Wish you were all here with us.

Sawdust Dave -