Hr. Ms. O 19 by Piet - 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50, submarine Royal Navy Netherlands - Finished

Inspiration, school, and joy. Great log and great build

See you in your next project

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

the beer cases look sweet.........are those decals or labels?   nice addition to the build  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Trying to figure out what I'm going to do with all the Heiniken I purchased for your visit. I know.... I can drink it tonight at the poker table.

Yahoooo!

Nice job old guy!

You are just too Kool for school.

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Piet,

Congratulations on completion .......

of this lovely submarine model. It has been a great pleasure in following the appr. 2 years of build sequences, learning submarine-details that seldom pop to the surface, also your fine pics and the explaining remarks. In all a lovely model, thanks so much for sharing this build with the gang

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks all who clicked the like button and thanks to George, Patrick, Carl, Ian, David B, Nenad, Popeye, Marty G, Dave (Sawdust) and Nils for your kind comments.  It's very much appreciated.

@ Carl: The beer is in bottles, at least it sounded like glass when lifting the cases up on the deck  ;)

@ Popeye: I copied a few advertising pics from the Internet, shrunk them to scale, cut them out and pasted them to small basswood blocks.  I even scribed the crate slats on the blocks - with the nails too!

@ Sawdust Dave: Yeah, I also missed our get-together and quaff a few brews with you.  There is always a next time.  Hey, what's this "old man" stuff?  I can still outrun you, and you are calling me old???   :D  :D

@ Nils: It's not often that people can build a model they have a very close relationship with.  I did visit the O19 way back in 1940 with my father.  Still remember quite a few things - - - it made a deep impression on me.

I had some good news today, please see my post on Sick Bay.

I bought two steel angle brackets to mount to the wall in my studio / office for the O19 to perch on.  This log is not yet closed my friends.  There are still some final pics to be made for the closing log and the gallery.  So, stay tuned.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Congrats Piet, on job well done , one of the Best Builds that I have followed , I learned alot about making metal parts ( wich I did not know before, your build was very informative ) Absolutely superb workmanship . Hat's off

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thank you very much Pete for your kind comments.  It was for me a labor of love and very satisfying.  I'm so pleased that everyone enjoyed the voyage and having been able to add something to all your capabilities.

BTW, I like your name - - - mine is pronounced the same too  :)

Cheers, 

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hi Piet,

Wonderfull build it has become. Something to be proud of!

I still am amazed at the level of detail you add to the boat! (although I'm not sure on the logo of the Heineken, it looks like the modern one to me, but I'm not a beer-expert.) But for someone coming from Rotterdam-area, should'n't it be Oranjeboom?

Jan

Edited by amateur

Hoi Jan,

Thanks for kudos my friend and yeas, we are rather pleased with the result.  She's close to be put on the brackets in my studio / office.  Just need to find the time to mount the two brackets.  Still a lot of yard work to do. 

Hmmmm, Heineken logos - - will, I couldn't find 1939 Heineken logos or didn't look good enough  :(  Rotterdam? - - - spoken with a Rotterdam accent - - no, I was born in Soerabaja, remember.  Both my parents are from Amsterdam.  

Yup, I also prefer Oranjeboom and used to drink a glass or two when visiting my uncle Cees in Amsterdam.  Uncle Cees was my father's younger brother and just as crazy as my father was  ;)  :)  :rolleyes:  I heard quite a few stories about their escapades when they were young.

I'll see if I can find some Oranjeboom logos and use them instead.  Problem is that practically nobody here in the States know about Oranjeboom.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, well, as I have mentioned a few posts ago, the only thing left for me to do before closing this build log is a few final pics.  Out of the roughly 50 pics I took yesterday I picked only nine.  

I want to thank everyone for following this build and your encouragement.  A special thanks to those who gave me advice and assistance in procuring photos, drawings and hardware like  Gino, Remco, Amateur Jan, Mark T.  If I missed anyone, please forgive me, I have thanked you on the spot in one of the earlier posts.

I will monitor this log for a short while and respond but please keep it on topic.  If you have questions send me a PM and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

I have really enjoyed doing this build with all of you looking over my shoulder.  Your friendship I will treasure and hopefully I'll see you all again in my VOC ship dockyard.

post-1399-0-04852100-1431311305_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-47667000-1431311328_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-29117000-1431311370_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-36544400-1431311395_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-33491500-1431311425_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-69726200-1431311450_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-85738300-1431311510_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-80626000-1431311553_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

This has been a marvelous build to follow Piet! Not only detailed and informative, but inspirational as well. So I'll see you over at the VOC ship! 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Congratulations on the completion of a beautifully crafted work of art.  May she long stand as a tribute to your skills and to the memory of your Dad.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I wish I could give this a 1,000 likes.  Wonderful work... stunning... amazing... gotta' go dig out the thesaurus.

And I agree with Augie.. a very fitting tribute to your dad.  I'll add though that it's also a fitting tribute to you for sharing the stories and the journey that brought this sub to life for us.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Piet, how wonderful she turned out, it was great to follow your build and read your stories accompanying it. Now O19 has a face of someone who sailed her and the stories that gives her a place in history. I'm pleased I'll see her first hand and her skilful builder too in two weeks . 

Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Piet,  it's been a pleasure and a pure joy to watch this model come together.  the wealth of information and technique,  coupled with your amazing talent,  will be a benefit to anyone taking on a build such as this.    tribute to your father,  and a testament to your talent.........and such a great build!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Congrats Piet, what a wonderful way to look back at family history.

You've made a superb job of her and you deserve to be very proud for both your Father and yourself.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Congratz, Piet! A terrific job, lots of feelings in there and a work to be proud of! It was a joy to be following u in your build - thanks for sharing, not only the build per se, but the history behind.

:champagne-popping-smiley-emotic:champagne-2::36: :36: :champagne:

My sincerest thanks to all who clicked the like button and browsed my log.  Thank you George, Augie, Patrick, Mark T, Remco, Anthony, Popeye, Mobbsie and Vivian for your very kind words.  

@ George:  Yes, I'll be getting back to the VOC ship soon.  I have a few other things I need to handle here at home.  However, the ship is patiently waiting as she has done for the last few years, a little jealous  ;)

@ Remco: Gwen and I are looking forward to seeing you and Rosette.  You will be the second individual who can hold her in your hands and on your lap!  Your name is engraved on a few parts of the build.  

@ Anthony:  You and all the others are too kind with your accolades.  The Rijksmuseum?  I don't think they would want the model nor the Maritime Museum.  Perhaps the Navy Museum.  But I'll just keep her here in the house and our grandson wants to inherit her.  Actually, a part of the Navy Museum is asking for a model builder to build a model of the O19 in 1:100 scale and are offering 4000 Euros for it.  As I mentioned before, hmmmm - - - no.

@ Popeye: I'm glad having been able to add a little teaching in the build.  We all learn things from each other.  We pick things up about what someone is using, to achieve a desired result.

@ Vivian: It's so good hearing from you again.  I hope all's well with you and your partner.  Please stay in good health. 

Again everyone, thank you so very much for your support and encouragement.  It's been an enjoyable and sometimes emotional trip.  

See all y'all later at the VOC ship Surabaya dockyard. 

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Congratulations Piet, she is a beauty, it was amazing watching you put this boat together. so the question is what is the next build ?

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thank you Kees, Pete, Jan B, Amateur Jan and John Ladd your positive notes are really appreciated.  

Each time I look at the boat I'm still amazed that she came out as nice as she did.  There are few things I should have caught and changed - - - like the railing at the dinghy location.  I should have made the cables detachable there and the stanchions removable.  That way the cover doors could fold out flat on the deck and the dinghy could be swung overboard.  The same for the area where the little boarding ladder hooks to the deck.

These are things I can still change without much effort and won't damage anything.  I still plan to make a few crew members, including my father, of course.  Plan is to have a few sailors handling the forward torpedo loading and perhaps a few men at the dinghy.  My father would be in "the badkuip" or the bridge with the commander of the boat.

Please don't hold your breath though, that'll be done in between all the other things I need to attend now.

Pete 48, my next build has already been in the stocks for several years.  I'm continuing with my version of a VOC ship I have named Surabaya.  As a note of interest to why I spell the name of that city in the Indonesian spelling and not the Dutch is that that city was known as Surabaya in the mid 17th century. In later years the Dutch colonizers changed the spelling into the way the Dutch heard the word sounded out.  In Indonesian the U sounds like the English OO as in book but to the Dutch that sound is spelled as OE, which is a diphthong for that sound.  The letter Y is sounded out as the English Y as in yes but the Dutch would write it with a J.  

Ah, the differences in languages, but that makes it all interesting.

Oh yeah Pete, there is a great possibility that I may start with a small motor freighter, the MS Musi, also in a scale of 1:50.  That's the ship Gwen's father was captain on around 1954, '55.  He worked for the KPM (Royal Packet Company) for many years but was also a reserve Naval Officer, in the KM (Koninklijke Marine - Royal Navy) - - Lieutenant ter Zee Eerste Klas or Lt. Commander.  Also a very interesting and gripping career.

Yes, Jan (Amateur), I'll be getting back to the Surabaya dockyard and will need your input on "things" as I get to them.

BTW, I heard from Bindy!  She's doing just fine and working on her model.  As an 81 year old GENTLEMAN I can safely and honestly say - I love that spunky young lady.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I think the majority of model builders finish their models,  and then later see thing that they've could have done things differently.   some go back and make the changes........some don't.  I've done the same........but I've resisted,  thinking of not upsetting the apple cart.    models are infinite......there is so much that can be seen by the naked eye.   they are a collection of our thoughts.......the combination of sight and mind is quite evident in the 019...there is so much detail.   you've done a spectacular job on her Piet.......if you never went back and did what you propose,  I would think no less.   but,  if you do.......I hope to get a seat a bit closer  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Piet,

JUST discovered your wonderful build, from "full View" thread. Whao !. I tabbed your build. I'll be back to spend some time here. 

PS: love the beer boxes, wrong label or not--sweet

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th