HMS Thorn by Kevin Kenny - 1:48 scale - Swan-class - David Antscherl practium

5 hours ago, niwotwill said:

Just started following your build but still need to go to the beginning and really study your posts. A comment on paper patterns which I also use for cutting is try using the glue sticks that are used for school work, photo albums, etc. It holds very tightly to the wood when cut and washes off with water leaving no residue. 

Amazing work i'm looking forward to reading your log from the start.

Regards

Will

The other advantage to glue sticks is that they don't distort the paper like a "wet" glue can.  I've used rubber cement but found that unless I remove the paper and rub off the cement in a few days, it stains the wood.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Your right Mark I've left the template on for days with no staining. Also the glue stick goes on purple and drys clear telling you when its ready.

Regards

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

Really enjoyed watching you win that battle!

Jazz... I couldn't help but focus on the birds in the background.

It is -3°C here in the Niagara Falls area (-35°C a bit northwest of us - Thunderbay, Ontario, Canada)

All our birds are hunkered down waiting for the sun to pop out.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Lovely work Kevin. Really enjoy your video of the planking, I forget what that type is called, you make it look easy. Looking forward to the next steps.

Regards

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

7 hours ago, Kevin Kenny said:

The clamps with the long arms  were made by me using some green heart. I had to add sand paper to the ends as they tended to slip. They were easy to make 

Kevin,

Did you show the clamps earlier on in your log? If not I would like to see how you build them.

Tom

In the tropics all untreated wood is subject to damage from dry-wood termites and woodworm damage. I have actually had one of my finished models attacked and had to treat the internal wood with liquid fluid and  then gassed the model and case to kill all insects under the cover.  Liquid termite fluid cannot penetrate painted surfaces while gas penetrates everything but leave no residue and so does not treat. It just kills. So now to make sure that does not happen again i treat all the wooden parts before i paint or apply any finish. 

I just love the contrasting wood shades and lines. Eye food.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

Tom, i did not make a video on the clamp extension arms but it was easy to make. I used some hardwood, in my case some green heart, cut a slot so the original clamp ends can fit  down inside the slot and filled with epoxy. When a lot of pressure is placed on the arms i do get some bend. I plan to make two more using aluminum arms to see how they work out. I also feel they are too long and will make up a set that is only 3” deep. Also i added sand paper at the very end as when a lot of pressure is used they tend to slip. Once the sand paper was added that problem disappeared. I also made up some extensions which help me get into close up situations.

CD4B0D51-A7C3-4608-9BE1-EE0D04504F3B.jpeg

BF1F83E9-17CE-45FE-8E1D-4E3130EA6E59.jpeg

D44051AC-D746-46A8-8E41-72610FF44912.jpeg

10C94F86-8072-4EA9-9423-F41E1B288E26.jpeg

F927538D-B78A-4A6A-AEC3-B37B34193527.jpeg

DDB4BA1A-277B-4562-AB39-5BAE29876A5F.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Every once in a while we're entitled to an "aha moment". I just had mine. Kevin, right you are, they are simple, and the aluminum arms should help.

The standard clamps only have a throat of a couple of inches. I don't need a lot, but a 3-4" reach would be nice. Thanks for the tip. I owe you one.

Tom

Many thanks, Kevin, that is a useful video.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

My thanks also. Might I add that any distraction or just lowered attention (or tired "just finish this bit") is very dangerous. I nearly lost my thumb to a 10 in table saw blade last year. Stupidity is unforgiving.

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

I've been a Tally Ho fan for years as well Kevin and very much enjoy seeing the traditional boat building techniques he uses.

Enjoy your visit to New York, stay safe and a Healthy New Year to you! We look forward to your 2022 progress videos.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin

I have the LV miniature chisels and use them all the time, as they are.  I would not extend the handle as that changes the pivot and may damage the shank attachment.

I also have the LV filter/mask and use this all the time.  Being the cheap bastard I am I pop the filters out and take the vacuum to them to get a longer use of them as they ain't cheap.

Can you PM me info on where you purchased the Japanese brass clamps as they look interesting.

And please let me know how the LV mini scribes work for you as I've been eyeballing them for awhile but wasn't sure they were worth the expense.

Thanks

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)