HMS Victory by paulb - Caldercraft - 1:72

The waist deck stanchions:

Not much to say, except that I rounded the 1.5x1.5mm walnut strips on the deck.

cDSC_4941

A bigger challenge were the guns on the forecastle. They are 12 pounders medium guns. Their position is clear, but how were they held in place at sea? I am pretty sure they didn't glue them on the deck...

None of the books, nor the internet gave me a clear answer. Middleton put them at the forecastle gun ports, fully rigged.

I decided to follow some other model builders and used the tackle to fix the guns. This is most likely a good solution.

cDSC_4942

Lastly I added some eyelets around the (hole of the) mizzen mast. I may need them later when rigging.

cDSC_4943

cMizzen mast base

cPoopdek

And a global impression

cDSC_4932

Paul

Regards, Paul

• 5 weeks later...

There was still a left-over thing to do on the poop deck: the signal flags.

The signal flags which were used in 1805 were published in 1799 by Captain Sir Home Popham. The set of flags consisted of 10 numerical flags (1-10) and 5 other flags (preparatory, substitute, affirmative, finish and dissent).

There was a 38 pages long book with words and their corresponding numerical code (e.g. 253 means England). This signal flag system was replaced by several others, until in 1857 it was supplanted by the Commercial Code of Signals published by the British Board of Trade.

However, Nelson used a codebook which originally had a somewhat different set of flags than Popham's code, and which had been revised prior to the time of the Battle of Trafalgar due to the belief that the thin and signal flags had been compromised. Because there is some debate about which flags Nelson used, I used the Popham signal flags.

I printed a complete set on transfer paper, which I then ironed on cotton (thin and smooth, called Poplin).

cDSC_4974

The size of the flags is 7x7mm.

Cutting and folding and then pushing them in the proper box of the flag locker:

cDSC_4976

By the way, I'm not happy about the hammock netting of the starboard poop. Will replace it.

Regards. Paul

Regards, Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot guys for all the likes. 

Heinz, all you have to do is send me a personal message.

The hull is finished😌.

The poop ladder hand rail:

cDSC_4977

And than the brass profiles. I followed both the manual and pictures.

Not happy with the decorative scroll in the kit, and I made some myself:

cDSC_4980

And in situ:

cDSC_4982

Three of them:

cDSC_4983

And painted:

cDSC_4993

And an overview of the work so far.

cDSC_4989

Next: the simulated front gun ports of the lower and middle gun decks. With a fine line of red ocre it became a bit more realistic

cDSC_4990

cDSC_4991

cDSC_4992

cDSC_4995

cDSC_4996

cDSC_4998

Now masting and rigging. 

Paul

Regards, Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Masting and rigging.

I have a feeling this is nicer than building the hull. Less mass production and more smaller, single projects.
There is some conflicting information, so I do some research for which I , apart from the manual use books by Zu Mondfeld, Rigging Period Ship Models (Lennarth Peterson), The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War (James Lees), and The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships (C.N. Longridge) and of course pictures from the HMS Victory in Portsmouth. I will try to explain the choices I make.

The bowsprit
It started simpel:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The bees

[IMG]

Bee blocks for the fore topmast stay and preventer stay:

[IMG]

[IMG]

View from above:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The dowel sort of fits in the square hole in the cap, below the round hole for the jibboom.

[IMG]

Cap fitted:

[IMG]

Sprit sail sling saddle 
[IMG]

Gammoning fish with grooves to keep the gammoning in position. Lees and Zu Mondfeld both mention the fish (a long plank with grooves), but McKay doesn't, and the actual Victory doesn't have the gammoning fish but rather three saddles which are mounted directly unto the bowsprit. I followed McKay:
I copied this technique from Middleton. First I removed less than halve of a dowel and then hollowed it out:

[IMG]

Three saddles (1 bigger)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The sprit sail yard saddle, the stop cleats and the jib boom support (from right to left)

[IMG]

[IMG]

And the "iron" bands (heat shrink tubing)

[IMG]

Painted, and the start of the jib boom:

[IMG]

Flying jib boom

[IMG]

Bowsprit, jib boom, flying jib boom, dolphin striker and flag pole:

[IMG]

[IMG]

And the start of the standing rigging: blocks for the fore topgallant flag staff stay, the flying martingale, and outer and inner martingale. Deadeyes for the bobstay and shrouds.
A bit of a challenge to get it right, but after some practice I was fine.

[IMG]

Looks messy, but there is a system:

[IMG]

Cheers, Paul

Regards, Paul

On another forum it was noticed that the deadeyes for the bobstays and shrouds are not period correct. They should be closed heart blocks. This is confirmed by pictures of the actual Victory and by McKay and Longridge. Lees mentions both options.

As soon as they arrive from the USA I will change them.

Regards, Paul

• 2 weeks later...

The Fore Mast:

Quite a bit of sorting out.

Unfortunately I made pictures without my SD card in the camera. So there is more result than process😕.

Here the cheeks on top of iron bands, bibbs in place as well as the rubbing paunch. Filed grooves to accommodate the bands. Filled up the space between the bibbs and the rubbing paunch, very much like Lees draws it.

cDSC_5041

cDSC_5042

More iron bands:

cDSC_5043

cDSC_5058

cDSC_5059

cDSC_5061

cDSC_5062

cDSC_5063

Then the fore mast top. Crosstrees and trestletrees. Gunwale glues to the top platform.

cDSC_5046

The tops were constructed using planks, plywood not having been invented in 1805. I planked the platform with 0.5mm planks, using two different widths, as per McKay. The planks "intersect" in the four corners.

cDSC_5050

cDSC_5049

Next pictures shows some more modifications. The battens run over the gunwale and taper towards the centre. I have added a plank on  the aft side of the top, on which the stanchions will come.

The pictures I made of the grounded tops during my visit to Portsmouth helped a lot. One does not get very often the chance of seeing the tops so close-up:

cDSC_3114 (2)

Regards, Paul

What puzzles me on the picture are the steel bars on the picture and no sign of deadeye blocks. Are the bars used to fasten the shrouds?

The battens run over the gunwale and taper towards the centre. I have added a plank on  the aft side of the top, on which the stanchions will come for the rail and netting. Deadeyes glued in place.

cDSC_5051

cDSC_5054

Painted several times. I added a lining on the port, starboard and fore sides of the top, like on the real top. The short side of the battens are thereby protected from damaging them.

cDSC_5057

cDSC_5064

I will add the blocks, stanchions and netting later, but before putting the fore mast assembly together.

Edited by paulb

Regards, Paul

A few modifications.

Changing the blocks on the bowsprit from deadeyes to closed heart. (neither sounds nice in real life...)

First how I seized the blocks; the challenge is to have a tight fit around the bowsprit and having the blocks in the right place.

The first is already fitted.

cDSC_5065

It takes some calculations to know the distances, but one knows the diameter of the bowsprit and circumference is Pi times diameter.

A 0,25mm thread through the 0.40mm thread.

cDSC_5066

Back at the right distances for the circumference of the block plus the siezing

cDSC_5067

Block in a third hand with the thick thread at the back

cDSC_5068

Tightening the knot

cDSC_5069

Putting both ends in a alligator clamp

cDSC_5070

Siezing the rope

cDSC_5071

And the second block in place

cDSC_5072

Now the third block and a slipping connections to tighten the rope around the bowsprit

Both ends in clamps

cDSC_5074

cDSC_5075

One end back to the block, as a loop, because it will be included in the siezing

cDSC_5076

There is the loop:

cDSC_5077

Tighten the rope by slipping the free end through the siezing, CA glue and cutting the end off.

cDSC_5079

Regards, Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Some progress on the fore mast.

The different parts (fore lower mast, fore topmast, fore topgallant mast, fore lower top, fore topmast top and hand mast) have been constructed. Again quite some sorting out, especially with regard to the sheaves that are let in the different mast sections.

First  view with the under  side of the tops:

cDSC_5092

And the top side of the tops and fore mast cap:

cDSC_5093

The tops in detail. The crosstrees taper on the under side and the trestletrees ends are snaped and rounded.

Sheaves for the main topgallant bowlines are put in the after end of the trestletrees. (the topmast trestletree of the main mast will have those sheaves in the fore end).

The cap has four blocks. Aft/underneath for the fore topmast yard cluelines. The span in the middle for the fore lower yard lifts. 

ccDSC_5083

ccDSC_5084

The topmast has two sheaves (called top rope sheaves): the lower on the block, running diagonally from forward port face to after starboard face. The upper above the heeling on the opposing diagonal plan from the lower one.  The sheaves had ropes to lower the topmast (acc. to Zu Mondfeld).

cDSC_5098

. 

cDSC_5099

The topgallant mast has four sheaves: one top rope sheave just above the heeling, again diagonally starboard forward to after port.

cDSC_5096

Other sheaves according to McKay, 

cDSC_5097

Next step: assembling the fore mast, and attach battens, check blocks and some other blocks

Regards, Paul

• 2 months later...

In the meantime I finished the fore mast assembly and I am close to finishing the main mast assembly.

I've got a question about the mizzen mast: should there be a rubbing paunch or not?

The manual says no, and so does Longridge and McKay in McGowan's HMS Victory.

However, James Lees says yes, and the McKay's drawing in "The anatomy of...." shows a rubbing paunch on the mizzen mast.

Very confusing. Does anybody know the answer?

Same confusion about a fid (and fid hole) in the mizzen topgallant mast. Manual says no fid, and so does McKay. Lees says there should be a fid (hole).

Any help is appreciated ☺️

Regards, Paul

Nice mast details Paul.  Sometimes it is very frustrating when looking for details and you end up finding conflicting  answers and you never know which is the right one.  You end up with more questions than answers. The only thing I can say is that when I visited the Victory at Portsmouth the Mizzen mast had no rubbing paunch on it.

If you enlarge this photo that I had taken, you will notice that there is a rubbing paunch on the fore and main mast but there isn't any on the Mizzen mast.  If there was one and at some time it had been removed I wouldn't know.  In my build I decided to leave it without the rubbing paunch. 

IMG_0354.thumb.JPG.abbb22a0b11a17f8f256da7e10690947.JPG

Robert

Thanks, Robert. Great picture, with all three masts.

Still somewhat surprising that the mizzen mast has no rubbing paunch. I guess it was meant to protect both the mast and the yards, so why there is none here, I don't know.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who struggles with some details😕.

Regards, Paul

very nice indeed Paul, i have put all my Victory books away for now, so i dont know if Longridge had a answer to your question

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 1 month later...

Thank for the replies, Ted and Kevin.

I think you're right Ted. 

Longridge says "no rubbing paunch on the mizzen mast", and I think he's right, as far as the present built shows, which Robert demonstrated so beautifully.

I am waiting for 1x1mm styrene, so I decided to do the yards and booms.

Got myself the cheapest (and loudest) lathe available, but with ear protection and patience I got the job done.

cDSC_5100

Some yards and booms still have a thick end, to connect it to the lathe. I will leave that until painted, or remove it if it's in the way.

Regards, Paul

7 minutes ago, paulb said:

Got myself the cheapest (and loudest) lathe available, but with ear protection and patience I got the job done.

Some yards and booms still have a thick end, to connect it to the lathe. I will leave that until painted, or remove it if it's in the way.

what lathe did you get?

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Paul,

Your workmanship is a delight to follow.  Victory models have been done so many times, including two that I did, lo those many years ago but yours is exceptional in the details.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 4 months later...

Thanks Allan.

Summer is ending, model building is starting...

Some work on the yards. More work than I thought, but it's fun.

The basics of the yards have been done, but it's only the Main Yard which is finished (except painting and rigging).

Especially the stunsail boom rings and irons took a lot of time. I made them from several size brass tubes and, using a pipe cutter I made the rings. Then I soldered them together with the 1 mm square rods.

Still needs some work, but it gives an idea. The photos always show details for improvement...

cDSC_5149

cDSC_5153

cDSC_5152

cDSC_5151

cDSC_5150

Regards, Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Some more work on the yards, boom en gaff. Quite a few pictures tyaken from different angles and before and after painting. Please indulge me.

Spritsail and spritsail topsail yard:

cDSC_5155

cDSC_5156

cDSC_5167

cDSC_5168

Fore yard, fore topmast yard and fore topgallant yard

cDSC_5159

cDSC_5161

Snatch block on fore topmast yard:

snatchDSC_5157

cDSC_5170

cDSC_5172

Main yard, main topmast yard and main topgallant yard:

cDSC_5163

cDSC_5162

Snatch block and sheave on the mail topmast yard:

SnatchDSC_5163

cDSC_5173

cDSC_5174

Mizzen mast: driver gaff, driver boom, crossjack yard, mizzen topmast yard and mizzen topgallant yard.

cDSC_5164

cDSC_5166

Sheave towards the end of the driver boom:

cDSC_5165

cDSC_5176

cDSC_5175

Mizzen mast almost done.

Edited by paulb

Regards, Paul

Hi Paul,

I've a question concerning an earlier post,  #89 on 11-19-20.  Where does the rope between the rudder chain and the mizzen channel lead to, and what size rope did you use?

Thanks and keep up the great work,

Mort 

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Perfect.  thank you. What size rope did you use?

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Thanks Ian. That,or .75 was what I was thinking.