HM Bark Endeavour by Mindi - Caldercraft - 1/64 - stopped build resumed

I don't recognise the forum from when I went missing in action about four years ago. Can someone tell me whether it has died and been recreated..? I did have a lot of stuff on my part Endeavour build way back then but all seems gone. 

I am now back on the job and about hull completion stage so I might put up a few pics of where I am resuming as a starting point.Good to be back in the model ship world.

post-25789-0-45154100-1471243469_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-93327400-1471243473_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-69789200-1471243478_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-79868100-1471243482_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-71788200-1471243487_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-99760600-1471243492_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-64836000-1471243497_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-85587000-1471243502_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-34866500-1471243546_thumb.jpg

Hi Mindi,

Welcome back.

It is as you suspected: something died (not the forum, but the servers where it was hosted). Everthing that was on the servers was lost.

So, it is still the good old MSW (same people, better quality every day), but you'll have to restart, as your previous log is gone into nothing....

Nice work onyour endeavour. Well worth the restart (of your building, and your posting activities)

Jan

Welcomed back Mindi, we all missed you.  What a splendid build you are doing, she looks really fantastic.  I do remember some of your previous logs now that I see your ship.

Count me in watching your progress.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Oh dear!! Looks like you have rekindled my love for the Endeavor! Love this ship. Always wanted to build her but never have. Half the reason I built my HMS Bounty. You have done a stunning job. Looks neat clean and tidy. Well done.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Completed the rails and staunchions. Had a problem.  I was originally going to leave all the timber work plain varnished but more research led me to black.

Learning...... Cant easily overpaint new Tamiya acrylic over old Satin Acrylic. ( brand forgotten...probably Admiralty Satin)  It just wont stick. I had to change to enamel XF1 rather than Acrylic XF1. Sanding would have been a better solution but too difficult. Enamel XF1 matt OK but not as nice a finish.

post-25789-0-41647100-1471492948_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-02426400-1471492958_thumb.jpg

I know these posts are all in reverse order but as the old sequence is lost here are a couple from early in the build. I did spend a lot of time coming up with a planking strategy I was capable of executing...in other words easy as I could manage. I took the easy way out on the under skin and did not bring all the planks to fall on the stem as you can see in the earliest shot. Some come up to a waist point around the waterline, an imaginary chine if you like.... For the outer planking I wanted to have every plank fall on the stem and used the photo of the construction of the replica Endeavour to plan the planks. I actually took a risk and started about halfway up the stem and worked both ways from there and in the end found that a good tactic, it worked quite well for me. Of course my plank count was different to the replica as the scale wouldnt allow the same "real" number.I have probably made that completely confusing but I know what I mean...lol

post-25789-0-87188300-1471682818_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-75373200-1471682824_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-28525700-1471683399_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mindi

Hi Mindy,

a beautiful build, good to hear its going on now...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Minor disaster today...discovered I have lost the etched brass sheet with lots of small parts I will need to continue. I have written to Jotika in UK to ask if I can buy a replacement..hoping for the best. It will turn up of course immediately after I pay for a replacement. To protect it I have put it in a book... which book...? NO IDEA

Hi Mindi,

glad to see you back on your Endeavour.

The photo-etch sheet is available from Cornwall Model Boats if you have no luck from Jotika.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft-brass-etch.html

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Mindi!!! How nice to see you back!!! Somehow I missed your first post.

Your Endeavour is looking great.

Hope to see more of it soon.

Again, welcome back!!! :cheers:

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hello Mindi,

You are about where I was on my Endeavour a couple of months ago.

Great news you are getting back into the build.

Will pull up a swivel chair and watch your progress.

Actually, the more I look, you and I have had similar thoughts as to what items look like and bottom waterline.

Dave R

Edited by DaveRow

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Gosh there are some Endeavours being built here which are a standard I cant approach. Better I dont look....! Some beautiful rigging work happening.

I was so unhappy with my cannon that i took them off, removed the capping rains for the gundeck, and started to bulid gun tackles albeit with only one block. Make them a little more detailed if it works out OK.

post-25789-0-39033500-1472286273_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mindi

Single block tackels. Now that's different. Good work.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Made the Pinnace first as it is white and better to practice on something which is painted. Have to do oars, but made up a simple gaff rig and mast step for one of it's sailing configurations just for the fun of it.  Hate doing the boats..it was getting to this stage 5 years ago that made me stop although I am reasonably happy with this first one. I dont think this is a strong point of the kit to be honest.

post-25789-0-61663000-1473128440_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-82726800-1473128447_thumb.jpg

post-25789-0-36194700-1473128456_thumb.jpg

Made the Pinnace first as it is white and better to practice on something which is painted. Have to do oars, but made up a simple gaff rig and mast step for one of it's sailing configurations just for the fun of it.  Hate doing the boats..it was getting to this stage 5 years ago that made me stop although I am reasonably happy with this first one. I dont think this is a strong point of the kit to be honest.

Looks very good actually.

I haven't built any of the tenders yet.

The Corel Kit I have, only has 1 tender and I won't be using it.

Will be a scratch build, and like you, not looking forward to them, very fiddly.

Cheers

Dave R

Dave R

Measure twice, cut once.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1768

(In the shipyard being constructed)

Hi Mindi,

glad to see you back on your Endeavour.

The photo-etch sheet is available from Cornwall Model Boats if you have no luck from Jotika.

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/caldercraft-brass-etch.html

Cheers

Slog

Slog

I just saw this from you...thank you very much. I have given up on getting a response from Jotika so you have got me out of jail. Cheers.

Hi Mindi,

Don't cut yourself short. Your modeling skills are wonderful as exhibited by your work on the Endeavour.

Regards

Nice progress Mindi, and welcome back to the Endeavour fold :) Those boats look great and you have now encouraged me to add the masts and sails to at least a couple of mine (I still have the Yawl and Skiff to do)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)