HMS Alfred 1778 by Pirate Adam - Scale 1:96 - Lumberyard timbering set

Starting my build log back up for the new site.  This is the HMS Alfred timbering set from Lumberyard.  The ship is the 74 gun HMS Alfred from 1778.  Scale is 1/8". The framing is Swiss pear wood, and the build will also include some cherry, rosewood, apple, maple, South American boxwood and ebony for the details and planking as included with the set. 

The ship is being built upside down using the Harold Hahn method which isn't a bad way to do it, but I would never do again as it wastes way too much wood for my liking.  My plan is to fully plank one side of the ship and leave the other side unplanked.  My plan is to fully plank the gun deck and not include any of the interior details below that level, then to leave some of the upper deck exposed to see down into the gundeck.  I'm finding this scale to be a bit on the difficult side, but the model is a nice manageable size. 

This certainly isn't a speed build, but most of the framing is done.

Adam

Adam:

That is a good looking model so far. You have done good work framing her.

Russ

I purchased the Alfred for the Lumberyard at 3/16" to the foot or 64th scale. I have the full size plans in hand, building the framing cut out jigs and waiting on the lumber. Great ship, large size and offeres a lot of potential for interior work.

Nice work Adam.  I'm following along as I have the Hahn plans for her which I rescaled them to 1:64.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking forward to this build some day. Have the books and the 1:64 plans. Of course then we have Gary with his 1:48 in which he redid the plans and it's looking great.

Adam

May your build be easy and you enjoy every step and bump on the way.

Good Luck

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

The frameing looks really nice. I'll follow your log with great interest.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

That's a very nice start Adam. Looking forward to following this one!

• 2 weeks later...

The stern timbers look great. That seems to be just how Hahn showed them in his book.

Russ

Very nice work.  I'm very interested in your project specifically because of the subject and you're doing it in 1/8" scale.  My favorite scale is 3/16" but my favorite subjects would be simply too large to transport around.  Keep on posting.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Ruggiero

Director Nautical Research Guild

Member Ship Model Society of New Jersey (Past President)

I can feel with you Adam. Those Stern Timbers are very difficult. I'm also at this detail at the moment.

But you have it well done this tricky timbers, great work.

I like the Hahn construction.

Juergen