Meteor 1851 by Jim Lad - Scale 1:96 - Immigrant Ship

• 1 year later...
On 3/16/2020 at 4:54 PM, Jim Lad said:

Work on this model has unfortunately been suspended due to Coronavirus.  We all had an email yesterday afternoon advising that many of the museum's functions are being suspended immediately until further notice, including all volunteering roles.

The model is at the museum and I'm at home - hopefully this won't last too long!

John….

any luck getting this model back on the workbench?  I was just checking out your log again for some i sight on a possible project…would love to see this wonderful model start taking shape again.

Chuck, the model and all my tools are still locked away in the museum.  I'm hoping to get back to the museum in December, but at the moment everything is still a little shaky with the State Government keeping its options open to some extent with loosening our Covid restrictions.

John

as I said, my tools are locked in the museum, so my home bench has sad idle all through lockdown.  I've been amusing myself working on the Admiral's family tree - a very interesting exercise in itself and also a great winner of browny points! :D

Weflack - we're opening up here in Sydney and under state health orders museums and galleries are now permitted to open, but the maritime museum is very wary of opening up and getting volunteers back in given the high average age of the volunteer force.

John

John, would someone with a set of keys let you in if you explained the tool issue?   Just a thought.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The SHF has opened up to volunteers again, albeit with very restricted numbers so I'd imagine ANMM will follow suit soon as the two organisations work closely. There is always an extra concern for the older members though.

hello John....saw some movement here and thought I'd take a peek to see if you done more to her........sad to see the museum is still locked up :(  I hope that when the day comes you can go back........you'll bring 'er home!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Im so looking forward to seeing progress on this again

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

• 2 years later...

Well, it's certainly been a long time between drinks, but I've actually been getting some work done on the 'Meteor'. Not a heck of a lot, as the museum has had a lot of visitors, and we spend quite a bit of our time talking to them - but at least she's now heading in the right direction again.

There might be another hiccough on the way with this model as the museum is currently talking to me about completing a major restoration on a model. I've tentatively agreed on the basis that the work is done in the museum where visitors can enjoy it - more to come after another meeting with the curator on Monday week.

If that restoration happens, I may bring the 'Meteor' home so that I can at least keep working on it when I have time.

In the meantime, here are a few photos of the model as she is at the moment.

John

175407-Meteor(1).thumb.jpg.c366560b2181cecb4982436909bbe05c.jpg175407-Meteor(2).thumb.jpg.2991f692d8dc661280c49a6b31547511.jpg175407-Meteor(3).thumb.jpg.dae5edad7eb5ce2e4177f0c1360dcb20.jpg

Beautiful

progress…and its good to

see you back at it.

if the museum would be up to it…ask them if you could post progress on the restoration.  Sounds like an interesting project.

That's great John, very nice to see the progress.  As Druxey says, it will also be nice to see regular updates on the restoration project if it goes ahead.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Nice to see you making some progress mate, You'll have to elaborate on the restoration project. There are a lot of beautiful, and some quite large, ship models there.

The hull is looking excellent John. Are you planning to do a log on your restoration project? 

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846