Frigate Berlin by Ferit KUTLU - Corel - 1/40 - 1674

I think they look GREAT. I've always questioned over tight ratlines as the climbing would have given them some sag inthe middle from the weight of climbers. Plus I've noticed in several movies with period ships, they seem to always have a bit of sag. To me its more realistic, which you have a natural ablity towards. Thats what I love about this build, its beautiful but looks natural. The way you treated you barrel first drew me to your build due to your eye for making it look used and natural, as a real ship would be.

Of course, I'm mad, but I still know what I like and there's nothing on your Berlin I haven't loved. Have you noticed the similarity between your berlins double caprail and the modification the the DSotM's caprails.

Hi Ferit,

I very much like your Build, and shall stay tuned to your log as you go along,.....well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Well done my friend.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Ferit,

I agree with everybody ! your ratlines look perfect.

Keith made a very good observation, I will remember his thoughts when I get to where you are in mine.

Regards,   Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

I think they look GREAT. I've always questioned over tight ratlines as the climbing would have given them some sag inthe middle from the weight of climbers. Plus I've noticed in several movies with period ships, they seem to always have a bit of sag. To me its more realistic, which you have a natural ablity towards. Thats what I love about this build, its beautiful but looks natural. The way you treated you barrel first drew me to your build due to your eye for making it look used and natural, as a real ship would be.

Of course, I'm mad, but I still know what I like and there's nothing on your Berlin I haven't loved. Have you noticed the similarity between your berlins double caprail and the modification the the DSotM's caprails.

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your gentle thoughts... Your kind comments are much appreciated. The problem about sags is the twists of the rope, it seems to me as if the ratlines don't sag in natural manner, the gravity doesn't work correctly  :) ...

very well done on the ratlines, Ferit..

I agree with Keith, the sag effect makes it looks more realistic..

:)

Thank you very much ZyXuz, your words sound very good...  :) 

That looks great Ferit!

Really nice job .

When you have done the last ratline, you almost like it  :D  :D  :D  :D

Will that day come?! Who knows? :D

Penelope's weaving... from Odyssey... :D

It looks great! Very clean. Its nice to see her getting rigged

Thank you Matti much appreciated. I decided that I love the wood rather than the rope...

Hi Ferit,

I very much like your Build, and shall stay tuned to your log as you go along,.....well done !

Nils

Hello Nils,

Thank you a lot for following and for your nice thoughts, I am grateful...

Beautiful job Ferit. The sag is perfect... I can only hope mine look half as good. :)

Your faith in me as usual... Many thanks Randy... I try my best...

Me too, I have faith in you. I know you can do it more good than it must be...

Well done my friend.

It's good to hear that from spider whisperer (I liked this definition that had come from Buck; Salty Sea Dog and it's my second use for you Augie but it's possible that there will be much more...Sorry...)

Ferit,

I agree with everybody ! your ratlines look perfect.

Keith made a very good observation, I will remember his thoughts when I get to where you are in mine.

Regards,   Michael

Your kind comments as always, Michael... As I had said, the naturalness of your build affects me all the time. Sure your ratlines also will be natural and beautiful...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

I get what your saying about the sag, They seem to be sagging/twisted more on the outer shouds and toward the outside. I wonder if a slight wetting with water from a brush and a bit of downward force in the center would make them sag symmetrically? I also wonder if just a bit of PVA in the water might let them dry in a more natural fashion and hold the symmetry.

Of course this is just speculation as I've not done any rigging as yet. I also question if redoing them would change things much as they aren't slack and the rigidity of the rope is probably the twist effector rather then your work. Just some ideas. Either way, left alone or modified, your works outstanding.

Maybe Augie the spider whisperer would have more experienced advise, as I'm only guessing how I might approach it. Thats the great thing about MSW. All the knowledge and expertise to draw from, which helps make better builds and builders of us all.

Ferit,

On your ratline problem, mix some water and white glue in a 50-50 proportion.  Lightly paint the ratlines and shape while it drys.  Do this on a test ratline first.  It should help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Ferit!

I don't have the experience of Mark or the most Augcellent spider whisperer, but I was able to shape some unruly thread using a 50/50 water and white glue mix. I think you will get the results you want that way. By the way, I agree with everyone else, your rope work is terrific!

Best wishes.

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Thanks a lot again Keith and Buck for the comment and the suggestion...

And Mark for the guide...

Buck, have I to pay for the usage of your registered trademark " spider whispererR "? :)

I have used the laundry starch, but I haven't obtained ideal outcome. I should try 50-50 diluted white glue...

Oh, Morope, where are you?! m1311.gif

Edited by ashiponthehorizon

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hi Ferit!

I don't have the experience of Mark or the most Augcellent spider whisperer, but I was able to shape some unruly thread using a 50/50 water and white glue mix. I think you will get the results you want that way. By the way, I agree with everyone else, your rope work is terrific!

Best wishes.

Yes, I decided to use your registered trademark from now as spider whispererR...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hahahaha.  I'm fine with it but you had better get authorization from the originator of spider wrangling ---- Jim Ladd :)

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hahahaha.  I'm fine with it but you had better get authorization from the originator of spider wrangling ---- Jim Ladd :)

Being a spider wrangler is one thing. Very few can become a spider whisperer! :D

I quite agree with Buck...

A mini whip in one hand and a mini chair in the other, handling by force, grumbling spiders, on the verge of contumacy...

Who could find the way to escape, run voluntary to the sanctuary of the spider whisperer® !...

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

!

On the way...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Ferit. I just don't know what to mention that I like most of your build... but I'll try anyway: Your cleanliness. Everything looks so cleanly made. How you modified and built the doors and windows; the rigging of your deck cannons, your ratlines... man you are doing a tremendous job there. You are making a jewel out of a relatively unknown kit.

My congratulations.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Superb rigging on a superb model.   Excellent work, Ferit.  I'm envious.  If I can do half as good on my Licorne, I'll be happy.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Excellent work so far on your rigging Ferit :) If the rigging on my build ends up as clean and precise as yours i will be very happy

Kind Regards Nigel

Superb rigging on a superb model.   Excellent work, Ferit.  I'm envious.  If I can half as good on my Licorne, I'll be happy.

Many thanks, Nigel and Mark, your thoughts are much appreciated...

Nigel and Mark, I can easily say, that comparing with my rigging, yours will not make you be happy but I'm sure you will be in rapture when that day comes...

I know you and I am lucky to follow your Logs, it's a pleasure to behold, to contemplate, to learn...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Great job Ferit,

Are you using those spiders from Augie????

Thank you Sjors for the nice comment...

Unfortunately I try to supervise only three, unqualified, daily fee spiders... :)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

i am at present house training my spiders - i bought them off the web (lol) laughing at my own joke

should be ready to work for me by this time next year

all the best

i love the ratlines

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat