IL Leudo by SHIPSCAT (Jolene) - Mamoli - scale 1:34

On 11/7/2019 at 11:34 AM, SHIPSCAT said:

Hello Popeye

Thank you for your comments.

Bob was mainly talking about distance and weathering, but he made a comment about the deck, it was plain to me that he never read what I wrote, I said I finished the deck in DANISH OIL but he said I finished it in gloss varnish and it would be like a skating rink (ring), yes I know that the hatch lid straps should be an iron colour but I think the polished brass looks nice 👍.

I know you cannot see it in the video clips but in the video you can see the water reflecting on the white gloss paint and gloss varnish, if the Associazione Amici Del Leudo (Amici Del Leudo Association) painted and varnished her that way then that is Ok with me as they should know.

Anyway as everyone keeps saying it is my Ship.

Yippppppppeeeeeeeeeeee I have ordered my new ship kit it is about 500mm long x 700mm high x 110mm wide, should receive it on Monday or Tuesday.

Giorni felici

Jo.

Sorry, I read what you wrote, but I misunderstood it.  You wrote that you were "...just wondering what I should finish the masts with, gloss varnish or Oil like I have done with the deck." I thought you'd finished the deck in "gloss varnish or oil." My mistake.

You asked and I answered. I am not a fan of glossy anything on small scale models. That's just a matter of taste. "Your mileage may vary." as they say. :D

On 11/20/2019 at 6:59 AM, TOM G said:

Pertty soon you will be into the rigging.   somebody on this site posted this link........ it's nice....... you can freeze each frame to see exactly how to go over & under with your line, to make the knot.😉   https://www.animatedknots.com/complete-knot-list  

Hello Tom

Thank you for the link for the knots, this will come in very helpful for me.

Jo.

Current Build:

IL Leudo - Mamoli - 1:34

FD10 Arnanes 701 Billings scale 1:50

"Good conversations are the ones you have with people you do not know"

19 hours ago, SigEp Ziggy said:

Jo,

Have you posted anything on your new purchase?

Your shipmate, Shane

Hello shipmate Shane

No I have not started it yet, I had to go to the hospital to have an x-ray on my back, it is hurting like hell.

Will try and do something on my IL Leudo today.

Jo.

Current Build:

hope it's nothing serious :unsure:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Dear Jo, sorry to read you went for X-ray too.

Hope for you it is not something serious as could be anything from infection to kidney stones that are walking around as that also feels like pain in your back.

Anyway, wish you a quick recovery and take care about yourself there,

Peter xxxxxxxxxxx

Jo, 

I am sure you will land on your feet like any good Shipscat would!  But all kidding aside, I hope you feel better soon, back pain is not fun. 

Shane.

Hello Popeye, Peter and Shane

Thank you all for your concern about my back pain.

I have to go and see my GP on Monday to see what he will say about the x-rays I had taken at the hospital; I do hope it is a pulled muscle, you all know cats have 9 lives well 1 down 8 to go ha-ha.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello all.

I have made the mast and bowsprits, I still have to finish sanding them down, I have also tapered the spars (if that is what you call them).

I will coat them up with varnish when I have finished sanding them down.

On the bowsprit I have a brass ring that goes on but it is not in the kit.

My Yawl build someone said replace the white rope, so I will order some for the IL Leudo also, I may order some more wood.

1481280549_ILLEUDO68_0002.thumb.jpg.5cbb90284e82f52adb30dd3efe4b01d7.jpg2032470217_ILLEUDO68_0004.thumb.jpg.b76f0d1fd8c128ee0073eb10c53679d1.jpg2090825928_ILLEUDO68_0006.thumb.jpg.d8961c9f875ffc8618832b16a97481d8.jpg

Happy days.

Jo.

Current Build:

Jo,

I hope you can look at your work and say 'Damn I'm good!', because you are!

Your other build is the Yawl? Posted any photo of the box or kit?

Try to find the right size brass tube, I haven't seen anyone do a good job wrapping and soldering yet.

Proud to be your friend, Shane

Edited by SigEp Ziggy
post script

On 11/27/2019 at 7:32 AM, SigEp Ziggy said:

'Damn I'm good!'

Hello Shane

Wow thank you my friend for them very kind and nice words.

But I consider myself to be just below average builder, I have made lots of mistakes that I don't show people ha-ha, but I have to say that I am not that bad at building plastic models.

My other build is a POF and going what I have read POF's are very hard to achieve a good finish, so I will have to get the Kitty Litter tray out as when I get worried I tend to go to the toilet lots of times ha-ha.

Your friend Jo xx.

Current Build:

Jo, Jo, Jo...

I think your work is great, but if you want me to be more critical, then I would, at the very least, give you ABOVE average scores.

Don't be so hard on your self and build to your own satisfaction. Don't forget the fun part of building is sharing.

Shane

Edited by SigEp Ziggy
grammar

Everyone makes mistakes building models, Jo.  That's why everyone has a "scrap box" which gets fed on a regular basis.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You'll never built the 'perfect' model because there are always things to improve. What I enjoy about this hobby is building each model (Plastic, wood, whatever.) to the best of my ability and then building the next taking that learning on board and building that kit to the best of my ability. ☺️

Like everything in life, the more you learn, the more skilled you become.

For your first wooden kit your doing a very impressive job and I really appreciate your willingness to share your experience with the rest of us.

Hello all.

Thank you for your comments on being  bad,average or good at model building.

Maybe I am setting my sights way higher than my skills allow me to achieve, I am not sure if it is the lack of tools or more likely the lacking of knowledge.

Anyway I do thank you all for your support.

Jo.

Current Build:

to think....if you don't set your sights that high........you'll never be inspired to get to that level.   I myself have few fancy tools......but my creativity is never in short supply ;)   it appears that yours isn't either :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hello all.

Just a small update, I have started to lash the mast things together.

I have to say this is getting exciting ha-ha, the one at the top and bottom are my first attempts at lashing, the three in the middle look a lot better, well to me they do.

Onwards and upwards as they say, you cannot keep this little kitty cat down now ha-ha.

I have to thank Tom for the link for the knots, it has been a big help, thank you.

818481981_ILLEUDO69_0005.thumb.jpg.907c29fdec18b67e98cb7005a9fb4a68.jpg1187280433_ILLEUDO69_0007.thumb.jpg.cd8f71874bb663896e635a9e65764c42.jpg

Happy days.

Jo.

Current Build:

I am coming to the party late but it looks great.  Great log and an entertaining read.

Cheers!

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

The lashings look like you've been doing them all your life, Jo. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello all

Blue Pilot, thank you, I will forgive you for coming to the party so late, also very pleased you find my log entertaining, please don't be a stranger.

Jo.

Mark, thank you also but it must be my sewing skills ha-ha, I have just looked at the first one I did (inside one) and the ropes cross each other not that good is it, I am not taking it off as I gave them a wash of 50/50 wood glue and water.

Are well 7 lives left now, will have to take more care or this kitty cat will be a goner.

Jo.

Jo.

Edited by SHIPSCAT

Current Build:

I wouldn't worry about the error.  We are all super critical of our own work and when your ship is complete it will disappear into all the other details.  We can drive ourselves nuts being supper critical of our own work.  I have learned somethings are worth fixing even if it means back tracking but sometimes you also have to learn when to say that's good enough.  Otherwise,  we would never finish!  I think you are off to a great start and welcome to the nut house :piratetongueor4:

Mark

Current Builds: 18th Century Merchantman 1/2 Hull  Smuggler  Pride of Baltimore II

Gallery:  Yankee Hero  Armed Virginia Sloop
Future Builds: Rattlesnake, Fair American

Jo,

Damn Girl, you make it look so easy!  I don't think it is wise to do such a good job and make the rest of us green with envy. Well, you still have some lives left, just use them sparingly.

Shane

17 hours ago, SigEp Ziggy said:

Damn Girl

Don't be like that Shane, I cannot help it if I am good can I hahahahahaha (that is a JOKE).

Yes 7 more lives left to go my friend, but hey that is just for this build my next build the cat god said I can go back to 9, but I did ask cat god to let me have 18 but this loud meow meow came back and said meowlene only 9 that is all you are getting.

Anyway I have to admit that the first one I did do it three times and still mucked it up haha, but after that they are not that bad even if I have to say that myself.

After I have finished them it will be time to turn the old girl over and repaint the hull.

Thank you all for the likes.

Jo.

Current Build:

Hello all

Back again with another small update ha-ha, well you cannot keep a good cat down.

I forgot last time that at I had to make a small hook thing out of some 2mm x 4mm walnut, it goes on the end of the spar, I think it is for a rope to go round so you can move the spar from side to side, it was fun to make.

I also have finished all the lashings, I just loved doing that, I hope you all like what I have done.

695158817_ILLEUDO70_0003.thumb.jpg.94612a6ae73b780cc5be9e5e9515f99e.jpg475315406_ILLEUDO70_0005.thumb.jpg.11602e41ebe49e36b0eca88f29fb0198.jpg833984050_ILLEUDO70_0009.thumb.jpg.1e5544746f79fd873ee3bcb80ae6d585.jpg2072352410_ILLEUDO70_0012.thumb.jpg.6d0c35937f48888ef3ae1fc872bbf185.jpg574086793_ILLEUDO70_0014.thumb.jpg.5e50448d2a272ced157601e9bbe789b6.jpg

Happy days.

Jo.

Current Build:

looks really good Jo........the cleat looks good too ;)   a small taste at scratch building.......you'll find some degree of it in almost all kits.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Popeye

Thank you, so that is what you call it a cleat, they don't say that just shape a bit of 2mm x 4mm walnut.

Jo.

Hello Tom

Thank you also, I put some tape round the first two parts then a drop of CA glue, when dry I did the lashings, I then mixed some wood glue and water 50/50 and coated the lashing, I then repeated this till I finished all the spars.

Jo.

Just one or two photos on how she is looking now.

817877837_ILLEUDO71_0002.thumb.jpg.7cb9272ea86a5bf11711780b73eee536.jpg1154105173_ILLEUDO71_0003.thumb.jpg.905c0ed01e4c91f0031c545eb5bf8ce0.jpg511594232_ILLEUDO71_0006.thumb.jpg.6c87ae277f3ff922580bbf39980ce7de.jpg861050898_ILLEUDO71_0008.thumb.jpg.4da0655e5e5b8691336e4a635f3be7aa.jpg

Happy days.

Jo.

Current Build:

She is looking Superb.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1