Bluenose by Retired guy - Model Shipways - scale 1:64

Richard,

Shame on me for not spotting your build log before now.   Your attention to detail is awesome.  I will be referencing it for sure the next time a schooner project comes in.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

23 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

Man, now that's what I call going to the extreme to detail the model!  WOW!!!  

Thank you very much Dave do love to do extreme details as long as I can have a drawing or a picture which I can scale

23 hours ago, Fright said:

Your woodworking and craftsmanship is outstanding on this schooner. She looks beautiful!

Thanks Fright do appreciate your post and yes she does look beautiful

15 hours ago, mugje said:

Omg! It's a joy to watch! Do you have a background in this kind of construction work? (maybe I missed it in your log)

Hey Mugje was a steel fabricator so yes sort of had a background and thanks very much for your comment 

14 hours ago, allanyed said:

Richard,

Shame on me for not spotting your build log before now.   Your attention to detail is awesome.  I will be referencing it for sure the next time a schooner project comes in.   

Allan

Welcome aboard Allan thanks very much for your kind comment 

13 hours ago, CPDDET said:

Beautiful work, as always.

Hi Dave thanks a lot its been a lot of fun to make this great schooner

12 hours ago, NovaStorm said:

Wonderful log, exceptional build of one amazing schooner :) I think they could of used you down in Lunenburg for the metal work on the RL II. would have saved them a ton of money. Will look forward to following through to the end. 

Thank you Novastorm she is an amazing schooner and to think when she was first made in 1921 it only took 97 days to build her, and the builder said at time of giving his price he said he would build her in 100 days not bad eh

Again would like to thanks everyone for the likes and do appreciate all the comments 

Regards

Richard

Edited by Retired guy

Lovely work on the wheel and linkage Richard.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

Richard

I have been away from the forum for a while and just discovered your Bluenose.  The level of detail and authenticity you are putting into this is just amazing.  I will be following along as you proceed with the build.

Thanks for sharing all the great information on your sources and how you are approaching each of these "mini-builds", that will come together into one fantastic schooner by the time you are done with it.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

11 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Lovely work on the wheel and linkage Richard.

Thanks a lot Keith linkage worked out how I wanted, I am hoping that it might turn the Rudder when I install 🤔

6 hours ago, bhermann said:

Richard

I have been away from the forum for a while and just discovered your Bluenose.  The level of detail and authenticity you are putting into this is just amazing.  I will be following along as you proceed with the build.

Thanks for sharing all the great information on your sources and how you are approaching each of these "mini-builds", that will come together into one fantastic schooner by the time you are done with it.

Bob

Hi Bob thanks very much for your comments trying to get her as close as possible to what I see in the drawings and pictures.

The great information I have got from asking google 😁 and just got a couple of pictures from Robin, would you happen to have any?

Regards

Richard

4 hours ago, Retired guy said:

Thanks a lot Keith linkage worked out how I wanted, I am hoping that it might turn the Rudder when I install 🤔

Hi Bob thanks very much for your comments trying to get her as close as possible to what I see in the drawings and pictures.

The great information I have got from asking google 😁 and just got a couple of pictures from Robin, would you happen to have any?

Regards

Richard

Hi Richard

I have been using the Nova Scotia Archive site for a lot of what I have done so far.  Most of the detail photos there are from later in Bluenose history, and there are some taken from dockside earlier in her career.  The site is here, if you don't have it.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/bluenose/

I also have visited the L. A. Dunton at Mystic Seaport and have several photos of her.  While she was built by Chapelle, she is contemporary with Bluenose and shares some detail.

I know you aren't there yet, one of my main regrets thus far is not placing the chainplates flush with the hull.  I didn't realize unto after I had installed mine that they should have been.  Pictures of Bluenose and my visit to the Dunton confirm this was the case.  Given the amount of work you have put in to accuracy of your model, I'm guessing you would want to do that.

Bob

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

On 3/23/2020 at 5:47 AM, JeffK said:

I’m in awe!  If I were you I would be tempted to display the model with the wheel house open, and some miniature tools around. 

That sounds like a great idea Jeff and thanks for looking in and commenting.

On 3/23/2020 at 6:42 AM, bhermann said:

Hi Richard

I have been using the Nova Scotia Archive site for a lot of what I have done so far.  Most of the detail photos there are from later in Bluenose history, and there are some taken from dockside earlier in her career.  The site is here, if you don't have it.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/bluenose/

I also have visited the L. A. Dunton at Mystic Seaport and have several photos of her.  While she was built by Chapelle, she is contemporary with Bluenose and shares some detail.

I know you aren't there yet, one of my main regrets thus far is not placing the chainplates flush with the hull.  I didn't realize unto after I had installed mine that they should have been.  Pictures of Bluenose and my visit to the Dunton confirm this was the case.  Given the amount of work you have put in to accuracy of your model, I'm guessing you would want to do that.

Bob

Hi Bob thanks for the link, not sure why you regret to placing the chanplates flush with the hull they should be, or are you thinking they should be notched into the planking? flush to the hull? I think it is flush with the hull and you and I have done it correct.

Not sure if you have heard of Philip Eisnor he spent a number of years researching the Bluenose and then made is own drawings of her and some of the maritime museum curators suggested that Mr Eisnors drawings are the most accurate of her, I did buy his drawings many years ago and did talk to him on the phone and he told me he had built over 40 models of her, you can buy his drawings on www.modelshipbuilder.com there is also a Bluenose Practicum by Gene Bodnar using Philips drawings on the same site.

Here are small pic of his drawing regarding chainplate and a picture of his model (this is for help with build if not allowed please delete) and you will see he has installed chainplated flush with the hull, I am not sure he would have done that if it wasn't correct but I do think he has his chainplates too thick.

xkYI1C.jpg

eP4WOt.jpg

YXOudM.jpg

gGJ0LR.jpg

They have the same on the Model Shipways drawing, they give a dimension of .008" thick chainplates  so x by 64 = Just over 1/2" thick 

Nbe2Pm.jpg

Looking at two pictures on the Nova Scotia site (this is to help with build if not allowed please delete) I can see the chainplates are sticking out flush with hull.

First pic Bluenose in 1921

nGNME4.jpg

Next pic of Bluenose 11

gqvhcg.jpg

I could not find any other close up pictures which could help but it does look like they do stick out.

I am no expert on this subject, if there is anyone near the Bluenose and could take a picture or even measure the thickness of the chainplate and let us know that would be fantastic.

Regards

Richard

Thanks for the photos, Richard.  Yes, I should have said I found pictures of the chainplates inlaid into the hull.  I am building the Model Shipways kit and when I read the note about them being flush with the hull, I interpreted that as being the outside face of the chainplates being even with the planking.  The photo I based my judgement on is here:

https://novascotia.ca/archives/bluenose/archives.asp?ID=88

In any case I discovered the information after I had laid the chainplates proud of the hull and I'll live with it. 

Bob

Bob

27 minutes ago, bhermann said:

The photo I based my judgement on is here:

In any case I discovered the information after I had laid the chainplates proud of the hull and I'll live with it. 

Bob

Hi Bob are you sure that photo is the Bluenose? I ask because of the mini rail showing on top of the main. It looks worn enough looking that you would think it would exist in any number of photo's. I have only seen one other (sorry busy no link atm) with it published as the BN and was not convinced in that case.

Do these pictures help?

Original Bluenose

05.png.5b0ec1e3e0d159992cc2816c3fa86bc6.png

Bluenose II
DSCN2608-2.jpg.04c47705d172f3be309fa6fe4a7f2e21.jpg

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

Richard, 

I have just recently rejoined after a hiatus. I finished the hull several years ago when life got in the way. I am now building the “furniture”. Your build is an inspiration and I really enjoy seeing your work.

I also hate the white metal cast wheel as sent with the kit, and look on in awe at your beautiful scratch built one. Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions for replacing the stock wheel? I have little to no metal working experience, but do pretty well with wood. 

following your log with a little envy at your skill

Jim

Edited by jamcdonel
I can’t type.

On 3/27/2020 at 6:30 AM, bhermann said:

Thanks for the photos, Richard.  Yes, I should have said I found pictures of the chainplates inlaid into the hull.  I am building the Model Shipways kit and when I read the note about them being flush with the hull, I interpreted that as being the outside face of the chainplates being even with the planking.  The photo I based my judgement on is here:

Bob

Thanks for the picture Bob does look like they were inlaid into hull just wondering why Philip with his years of research put them even with the planking 🤔 I will also live with it I could file them down a bit will see, thanks very much for your great info hope you get back onto your Bluenose very soon 👍

On 3/27/2020 at 7:20 AM, NovaStorm said:

Bob

Hi Bob are you sure that photo is the Bluenose? I ask because of the mini rail showing on top of the main. It looks worn enough looking that you would think it would exist in any number of photo's. I have only seen one other (sorry busy no link atm) with it published as the BN and was not convinced in that case.

That mini rail on the main rail does look strange don't see this on any of the other pictures 🤔 good catch.

On 3/27/2020 at 8:01 AM, David Lester said:

Do these pictures help?

Original Bluenose

05.png.5b0ec1e3e0d159992cc2816c3fa86bc6.png

Bluenose II
DSCN2608-2.jpg.04c47705d172f3be309fa6fe4a7f2e21.jpg

Thanks for the nice pictures Dave, as above I think Bob is right with the inlaying the chainplates.  

7 hours ago, jamcdonel said:

Richard, 

I have just recently rejoined after a hiatus. I finished the hull several years ago when life got in the way. I am now building the “furniture”. Your build is an inspiration and I really enjoy seeing your work.

I also hate the white metal cast wheel as sent with the kit, and look on in awe at your beautiful scratch built one. Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions for replacing the stock wheel? I have little to no metal working experience, but do pretty well with wood. 

following your log with a little envy at your skill

Jim

Hi Jim thanks very much for your kind comments, know what you mean by life getting in the way 😀 but I bet it is good working on your model again, regarding replacing wheel have you tried looking online, just looked on Cornwall model boats (there must be many more) the one I made is 18mm, did see a 20mm made from bronze or try making one out of wood but use a hard wood .

Regarding metal work been making things since I was 13

Thanks everyone for taking your time to comment and for hitting the like button

Regards

Richard 

Carrying on with building deck furniture using Boxwood I made the grating 

ixvKj8.jpg

Then made the forward skylight and companionway from Boxwood, here are the details from the plans

ZSAKoY.jpg

5QKgA9.jpg

0hOMNV.jpg

nksDnF.jpg

Starting with the Skylight made corners similar to main cabin corners, and made it to match the stanchions not the deck made the porthole frame yet

pmXXQN.jpg

MmvWDK.jpg

i78kZl.jpg

TzRIA5.jpg

Then came the companionway, when taking the dimensions of the drawing I noticed I had made the coaming from fore to aft too small so I removed it and re-cut out of boxwood and made a new one (wish I had used Boxwood to make all coamings came out way better), sides front and back I made with boxwood plank strips glued together and cut to shape making sure the planks were 90 deg to stanchions , it has no hinged doors, just lift out doors so corners again were made as per main cabin but lift out door posts I machined a groove for the lift outs, then machined the slide rails for the hatch to open and close all parts made from Boxwood

r6zd8z.jpg

Using the coaming I started to put it together

HZUR2o.jpg

xXpPbb.jpg

Machined the hatch to fit top of slide and then made another piece and machined to fit between rails and to go in slot this was then glued to lid, did this different to what I did on the cabin hatch, both ways worked out, added the roof and also added a piece of wood at the base of lift out doors.

7TmGh9.jpg

Z5SXOd.jpg

KSuiiU.jpg

CzP4RA.jpg

Vr3wnX.jpg

It does not say if there was any handles for the lift out doors so have not added and I cannot find a picture.

GAPKM9.jpg

NWoq5x.jpg

xAvrD0.jpg

wD74mB.jpg

I think I will remove the skylight coaming and redo with boxwood 🤔

Until next time 

Regards

Richard

Edited by Retired guy

The last three images of your deck are also just beyond.  One could think that the images are from an actual ship.

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Beautifully done Richard. I must get me some boxwood.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

hello Richard.......I finally got to finish looking through your log......simply amazing!  the detail you've put into your ship is awesome....I never knew how the rudder mechanism looked........now that's 'in depth'! ;)   she's a fine looking ship and definitely a 'go to' log for anyone building her.    awesome build!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

22 hours ago, CPDDET said:

Crazy nice work, Richard. You continue to amaze.

Thank you very much Dave I am enjoying building her.  

20 hours ago, md1400cs said:

The last three images of your deck are also just beyond.  One could think that the images are from an actual ship.

Thanks Michael do appreciate your kind comment.  

20 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Beautifully done Richard. I must get me some boxwood.

She is coming along Keith thanks a lot for your comment, I should say I am using Castello Boxwood I find it machines great and easy to saw and sand

19 hours ago, jamcdonel said:

Continually amazing. 

And thanks for the heads up about Cornwall.

Thanks Jim hope you find a wheel.

9 hours ago, NovaStorm said:

Very nicely designed and executed. Boxwood coamings looking good  :)  Thanks for sharing such a wonderful build in the way you are. She deserves it!

Thanks very much Robin love to figure out how to build things, will change out the skylight coaming just doesn't look right next to the other 👍 

8 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

hello Richard.......I finally got to finish looking through your log......simply amazing!  the detail you've put into your ship is awesome....I never knew how the rudder mechanism looked........now that's 'in depth'! ;)   she's a fine looking ship and definitely a 'go to' log for anyone building her.    awesome build!

Appreciate you taking your time to look at my log and thanks very much for your kind words, what is nice with the Model Shipways Bluenose is that it shows all what I have built on the drawings.

Thanks again everyone

Richard  

Richard,

Very nicely done on the deck furniture!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 2 weeks later...

Last post I left off saying I should change the coaming on the skylight, well I removed and built out of Boxwood now with making it the same as the companionway coaming the size changed so now made the skylight again but this time made it with planks same as compaionway, planks were .031" x .0625" made the plank match the stanchions, also made the skylight top a little more curved, then once it was made I machined the portholes, will add clear plastic for the window after I paint it.

NDUsdE.jpg

zwhMzp.jpg

oK0oZM.jpg

UvNp0F.jpg

Ds5aCT.jpg

Not glued them in place yet, will paint them before they go in

HaYqnR.jpg

I liked how the portholes came out to made two for the main cabin, did not like the wood ones I made earlier

HE7F55.jpg

cjbuUm.jpg

Started to look at the Boom Buffer and I noticed it was not in good shape so cleaned it up the best I could but then decided to make one myself, so copied what was given but then I looked at the drawing and thought 🤔 

Dgrj0P.jpg

Make one as per drawing provided (drawing is 3/8" = 1'-0") so here is how it turned out

cUlNoZ.jpg

IA6lS8.jpg

JOuPCS.jpg

Do have one of the white metal for sheet buffer installed, but looking at it it will be hard to see so I think it can stay there.

Lzl6nK.jpg

Thanks again for all who look in and comment and also thanks for the likes,until next time

Regards

Richard

Edited by Retired guy

A real treat to watch this build .. Wonderful Workmanship going on here ! (I mean, what you did with that Boom Buffer .. Drool :) :))

All The Very Best Richard..

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Wow, Richard! 

That is great stuff. I am about the same stage on Bluenose. Really enjoying your build and taking lots of inspiration from your work. I am currently struggling with the sheet buffers and the porthole frames.

You have given me an idea about the  buffers. I work in the optical business, and as I look at yours, I’m thinking glasses hinge parts! I’m going to raid the repair cabinet when I get to the office later this morning.

Watching in awe..

Jim