Half Moon by popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:40 scale kit

yea....I know Bob {hangs head........then shakes it}......I should listen to myself sometimes.   currently,  I'm in the process of trying to make some adjustments to the original one.  hopefully,  I can make it a bit better,  like the fore mast nest.   I was in the process of looking for more pictures today........and I stumbled across a site by National geographic.  this is used by schools as a teaching tool for kids.....so, gather up the young'uns and watch these videos......it's kinda cool.

Life on the Half Moon - National Geographic Education

I am also in the process of assembling the first sections of the masts......had a near death experience with one of them......snapped the upper part of it,  in which I was whittling it down to fit the nest.   luckily,  I'm still able to use the dowel.....I haven't cut it down to length yet.

hopefully,  I will have an update for you soon  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

soon Sjors........very soon  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I did a bit more with the planking.......here are just a few random pictures of her so far.

attachicon.gif#1.JPG

attachicon.gif#2.JPG

attachicon.gif#3.JPG

Popeye,

very nice and smooth bow planking, all the planking Looks good,

well done !

Nils

attachicon.gif#4.JPG

in one of the pictures,  you can see the turn of the chine { I believe it's the correct term}.   I don't believe this is the way it's supposed to go.   I think I need to sand these to more of a contoured curve shape.

more as I go......... :)

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

thanks Pawel and Nils......welcome to the log.....I hope you enjoy it. :)

OK Sjors........here's that progress I promised you  :)

I got wrapped up with a couple of aspects.........and my picture search.  I did come up with something strange.   here are a couple of pictures......I guess there must be more than one copy floating around.... notice the aft artwork:

post-612-0-65809800-1393601293_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-47890200-1393601306.jpeg

I hope they didn't do this,  just to mess with my head.......don't know how I'm going to do all this,  but if they're not careful.......I'll do it  my way,  and really mess'em up! :D :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I'm kinda wondering,  if this is also to denote port and starboard......something I've never seen before.

anyway......................................I mentioned the whittling I was doing on the masts.  I needed to get the top capping down to the size that will fit into the nests.  so, I cut into the mast with my miter box and saw,  and cut away the excess....later sanded smooth.

post-612-0-19408900-1393601818_thumb.jpg

now,  I had mentioned perhaps making a new main mast nest,  but I chose to repair the original one,  only because it has the pre drilled holes.

post-612-0-67323500-1393601918_thumb.jpg

later, I chose to rip off all of the upper railing and start over,  adjusting the post in the area I started from,  and the redo.   I assembled the framework that the nests will be located on.

post-612-0-59879900-1393602130_thumb.jpg

the fore mast nest was assembled to the mast......since that one turned out OK.

post-612-0-60868700-1393602234_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-34766200-1393602245_thumb.jpg

after the railing was finished on the main mast nest.....there was still an area on it that wasn't right.  I am making the change yet again.

post-612-0-23119100-1393602321_thumb.jpg

while I was working on that,  I continued on other aspects,  between drying times.   the capstan is an assembly,  consisting of a  bunch of little pieces....most of them are missing.   so I opted to use the parts that the nests would have been made up with.   after making up a scratch base ring for the supplied capstan post,  the railing parts were cemented around the base.

post-612-0-84571500-1393602628_thumb.jpg

then,  the bow spirit was assembled.  it is not trimmed to size yet.

post-612-0-05653800-1393602690_thumb.jpg

I had some smaller dowel to use,  instead of the supplied dowel for the capstan bars.   I added some brass banding to spruce it up a bit more.

post-612-0-45829900-1393602830_thumb.jpg

I did the same for the pump,  and stained other parts that can be readily assembled onto the ship.  I'll lightly stain them with the mahogany stain to match them up with the rest of the ship.

post-612-0-46975500-1393602968_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The fiddly bits are looking good Popeye.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

I also need to get a move-on with the exterior hull work.   I'm just going to go with the best looking scheme and be done with it  :)   the way I did the railings,  will make it hard to follow the flow of the lines,  but I will try to make it work.   the first aspect was with the railings themselves.....the red and white striping.  I took a bunch of thin mahogany......in different widths,  and painted them white.   I sorta goofed here when I masked off for the red........I should have cut the tape down and cut down on the length of the dashes.

post-612-0-95330700-1393603482_thumb.jpg

yea........I used that crappy blue stuff!   it didn't come out as good as I wanted it to......but it is salvageable,  so I guess it's not a total loss.   just as well.......I don't have much extra stripping left.

post-612-0-66612100-1393603661_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-57489500-1393603678_thumb.jpg

I tried a piece of it on the model.......touched up,  it will look better  :)

post-612-0-55896200-1393603844_thumb.jpg

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Nests are much better.  Good work.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thank you Patrick and Lawrence......once I do what I need to do with the exterior work,  I can give her the flat sealer and get these parts on the ship,  where they belong.   thanks for the good word  :)

thanks Bob......i had made the adjustment to the starboard front.......the new railing made it look better,  but it made the port side stand out a bit.   I'll get it right yet  ;)  thanks for the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Pump and capstan standing proud!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Nice work, Popeye. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I like the way you did the paint on the rails. Very inventive.

Edited by DSiemens

thanks Augie.......missing parts.......no problem!  just shuffle them around a little!  ;)

thanks John......I wanted to keep the base.....it will just make it easier.   I'll get it straightened out  :)

anything for you Sjors....has Anja changed her mind about the feet? :D :D   thanks for the good word

thank you Mark  :)

thanks Daniel......they are part of the outer hull paint work.......now, all I have to do is get up the nerve to do the rest ;)  thanks for the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hello popeye  looks like u are vary good on the build so far keep up the great work

thanks dragzz!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Pumps, Capstans, Crows Nests and Crows Feet - Moving right along my friend, moving right along.

And boy, wish I had seen this before i did my trim, that masking job you did sure would have been a smart way for me to do it - had I thought of it!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Nice work Popeye, you are definitely a scratch builder!!! :D

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks Adam.......I actually did the rails separate,  and put them on after.  it worked out better that way  {masking can be a real pain}  :)

thanks for the good word !

thanks Lawrence.....been a bit of a break though......our furnace decided to crap out {a s-l-o-w, agonizing death}.    we had a new one installed today........out with the oil and in with the Natural gas.  I hope it saves me money!  thanks for the good word!  :)

thanks Frank.......there's a fine line between scratch and bash.....but I am having to scratch out a few parts.  the crow's nests seemed to be the biggest problem.....a lot of the parts were missing in the kit.   the main mast nest gave me some trouble, but I think I have it sorted out pretty well.  now that the heat is back on....I assembled the fore and main mast.  the second steps are just dry fitted at the moment,  but I did that after I took these pictures.  I hope to have more up soon.  I'm not sure if I'm up to snuff with some of the other folks here,  I favor chalking it up to  "creative modeling"  ;)

post-612-0-90735000-1394517428_thumb.jpg

I hope no one get nose bleeds easily........we're going to up :)

post-612-0-86279200-1394517483_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-42946800-1394517497_thumb.jpg

here is what the frame work under the nests looks like

post-612-0-77154500-1394517528_thumb.jpg

thanks for the good word Frank!   I'm still playing catch up here on the site.........I hope to see your fine build in the list!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Very nice work on the masts and crows nests Popeye. I can't wait to see more.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Glad you didn't freeze without the oil heat.  Must have been hard building the boat with gloves on.  :)  She's looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

yepper Sjors.......I'm keeping it awww-wite!.....you wascally wabbit........... it is a good question......where I made so many changes,  it's going to be hard to stain the nests.  I think I'm going to need to get a little creative. ;)  thanks for the good word :)

thank you Doris for your kind comment....actually I'm kind of humbled.....   I'm many levels away from the fantastic work you do...with the materials you work with.......I'd be a life-time,  in attempts to equal......but it's fun trying  ;)    thank you very much!

thanks Patrick!  I think the nests are the biggest hurdle I had to get over.  now that they are complete,  there are only a few other aspects that I'll need to address.  thanks for the good word  :)

thank you as well Bindy.......I thank my lucky stars,  I know Bashman! ;)  here is the only known picture I've found of him........ :ph34r:.  I have to rely on an emoticon,  since there are no real pictures of him   :D  :D  :D   thanks for the good word  :)

thanks Bob........ttttthhhhanks fffffffor nnnnotic'in :D  :D       it was so cold in the house the other day,  I couldn't even type on the computer.   we have the new natural gas furnace now.......it was 32 degrees this morning,  and I didn't even turn it up......felt good {we turn it down for sleeping}.  yesterday,   they must have hit the cable connection downstairs........internet was knocked out for a while.

by the afternoon,  we were up and running again......but behind on just about everything.   today......it's almost 50 degrees..... tomorrow.....6+ inches or more of gooey wet snow {I think they have rocks in their heads} :D :D   as soon as the dust settles,  I can get back to the table.  thanks for the good word  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Congrats on the new furnace.  You may need it for a few more days this season!  Looking forward to your getting back to normal.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I've had to turn our heating off it's been that warm of late, I don't envy you guys one little bit. ^_^  ^_^

Popeye we have a saying over here, you've probably heard it, " it's cold enough to freeze the b-lls off a brass monkey" with no boiler for a while mate have you still got yours. :D  :D

She's coming along really nicely mate, all the little bits are great and I like the highlight bandings, well done with the crows-nests also, your patience and determination to get it right has paid of in bucket loads. :dancetl6:

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-