FINISHED - TBM3 Avenger by CDW - Trumpeter - 1:32 scale

CDW

Count me in mate.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

4 minutes ago, CDW said:

Believe it or not, this massive kit has almost the exact same part count as the little 1:48 PE-2 I just built, so it won't be more of a challenge part wise, just a bigger model.

I guess  with larger surface areas  it should make painting easier and more scope for detailing.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

One of my more favorite aircraft. Also one of the first model aircraft I ever built, the old 1/48th Monogram kit with retracting landing gear, folding wings and opening torpedo bay doors, (That of course allowed the torpedo to fall out). Made many attacks with that model in my back yard plastic pool, (Ocean)^_^ Got a chance a number of years ago to get close enough to touch a real one. What a brute!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

17 hours ago, lmagna said:

One of my more favorite aircraft. Also one of the first model aircraft I ever built, the old 1/48th Monogram kit with retracting landing gear, folding wings and opening torpedo bay doors, (That of course allowed the torpedo to fall out). Made many attacks with that model in my back yard plastic pool, (Ocean)^_^ Got a chance a number of years ago to get close enough to touch a real one. What a brute!

This is a really big aircraft. Trumpeter provides sufficient detail where required and it does not need much of anything in the way of aftermarket items IMO. I will add some wiring and such, but it's nice right out of the box.

There was one at the past 2019 Oshkosh air show. A real monster when you stand next to it. Unfortunately, I did not take any picture.

I also had the chance to work while in France (IBM France) with one of the 12 French pilots that were trained on these machines by the US Air Force. The lad had some salty stories about the Avenger.... 

Yves

What a great start  - that radial  looks Superb.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Craig, looking forward to another excellent build from you. I see a tribute bird, right?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

very nice start Craig........I love big birds. :)   

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

I love big birds. :)

As a side note Big Bird, (Caroll Spinney) died at 83. It appears that Spinney has played Big bird since 1969. He also did Oscar the Grouch, (Who I liked a lot better than Big Bird) 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

old news....seen the bio ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I still preferred Oscar The Grouch 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

I still preferred Oscar The Grouch 

I can't imagine why?  Then again, I preferred him also.  Nevermind... I know why.:P

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

there's a little Oscar in all of us.......like me right now.........gotta go to work tomorrow :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Wonderful work on building the radial CDW - so crisp and clean.  The engine has a great look and feel due to your coloring skills - the tubing/manifold looks very realistic.  I would be very interested to know your coloring process.  I look forward to future updates.

Gary

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

The focal point of this model are the interior components. Not sure how much of it will be seen once the fuselage halves go together, but it does have an open bomb bay, and open hatch for the gunner's station in the ventral position. While even now the interior parts look complex, this is only about 50% of what will be the sum of it, while I still must add a lot of detail including the gun turret, the ventral gun station, and options for an extra fuel tank, or a torpedo, or four bombs in the bomb bay.

DSCN3468.thumb.JPG.e5bf922c08d52c4e64c58c44e1f36f79.JPGDSCN3469.thumb.JPG.2f4746e8ee5ce15c609eddf71f2aaeb7.JPGDSCN3470.thumb.JPG.427113cee636d3fc88ce1120b89e5bed.JPGDSCN3471.thumb.JPG.adac4f790f833c6b5af07b9af53a9424.JPG

I'm officially jealous! THAT is some fantastic work CDW.

The instrumentation is so crisp and clean.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

29 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I'm officially jealous! THAT is some fantastic work CDW.

The instrumentation is so crisp and clean.

Thanks Lou. The fact this model is BIG helps a lot to achieve detail. The kit uses a plastic dash with holes molded in where the instrument dials are located, an acetate panel that has dial details printed on, then a molded plastic panel backing. The acetate gets sandwiched between the two plastic panels giving it a realistic look for the gauges. You have to paint the back side of the acetate with white before joining the three pieces together, as the acetate looks very similar to undeveloped film and if not painted white on the backside, no dial detail would be seen. 

really sweet job on the cockpit  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That is the same method used in the aftermarket instrument cluster for my Huey build.  Nice to see how it SHOULD turn out.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just now, lmagna said:

That is the same method used in the aftermarket instrument cluster for my Huey build.  Nice to see how it SHOULD turn out.

When you and I were talking, I thought that's what you were describing so yes, this is how to do it. Make sure to paint the back side of the acetate film white, or else the dials will not show up. Alternatively, you could paint the back panel white, but one way or the other, white needs to go on the back side of the acetate for it to come out right.

PS: use either white glue (not the yellow wood glue) or acrylic glue to join the three instrument panels together. You can also use a drop of glue in each instrument so that when it dries, it will look like a lens.

Edited by CDW

Stunning work, Craig.   Looks to me like one could actually step into her and fly away.   The details are amazing.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Those details - those details  - superb work   this is gonna be a stunner.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

13 minutes ago, CDW said:

Thanks OC. I have a lot of 1:32 kits to finish, including that big 1:32 Tamiya Mossie. They all come with a fair share of details right out of the box.

Cant wait for the mossie    for obvious reasons.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.