Scale Rulers

G'Day all,

I have drawn up some scale rulers in CAD. English feet and inches in 1:16, 1:24 and 1:48. EDIT: added 1:32

When printing you may have to adjust your printers scaling until 12 feet on the 1:16 ruler is 9 inches.

After printing I cover both sides with Scotch 'Magic' tape before cutting them out.

I hope somebody finds them useful.

Scale Rulers.pdf

Edited by iMustBeCrazy

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts

For those with a collector's taste, acquiring a classic Keuffel & Esser boxed set of "scales," as they are properly called, might be a joy.  The complete boxed sets in good condition are somewhat rare and bring a premium, but single rules are frequently offered and sell at quite reasonable prices on eBay. The old-fashioned boxwood versions bring more than the "modern" and now-obsolete plastic ones designed for use with "drafting machines." Metal versions are also made. 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 inch to the foot scales are pretty common.

See the source image

• 20090060090.jpg

• th?id=OIP.th3zy_I28ZBRVDlkBxytjQHaCe&pid=Api&P=0&w=430&h=144
Edited by Bob Cleek

• 4 weeks later...

Bob,

Wow! You just showed me something I had no idea existed!!! Singly, yes! As I have several original K&E, A.W. Faber, Dietzgen, Alvin, and various other scales from the 1970s when I used these daily at Western Electric on board drafting. I have a Samsonite brief case full of my drafting equipment just as I left there to take a 10 year stint at DuPont in 1976 - by 1986 things were transitioning to CAD but I retained all this stuff - and it's a good thing I did - I still find them useful whenever I need something properly drawn up. And Leroy Pens - remember them????

Hank

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Leroy Pens... there's a product I haven't heard in years.  I had a full set back in Tech Writing days for doing illustrations when a draftsman wasn't available.  I have no idea where they went.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I've got several brand new Leroy Pens in their original wooden "barrel" cannisters. Ready to go!!!!

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Back before manual drafting instruments became as collectible as they are now, I was able to "stock up" on LEROY (they always spelled it with capitals, but nobody knows why) pens, scribers, templates, and other accessories. I was also able to secure a good selection of the "unusual" templates. The ISO font templates are plentiful, but the old pre-ISO fonts were hard to come by and are now practically impossible to find on eBay anymore. I also stocked up on Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph technical pens, which can be mounted in the LEROY scribers. If you can get the right accessory scribers, you can alter the size of the fonts and the slant angle of the fonts, which greatly expands the range of the templates you have. LEROY sets are a bit tedious to use, but easy enough once you get the hang of it. I don't have a lot of occasion to use mine, particularly since I have a trained freehand lettering "fist," (as they used to call it in the trade.) The last time I had to do any manual drafting for reproduction with a lot of lettering (text specifications in the margins,) I actually printed it out from my wordprocessing fonts in the formats I wanted and did a "cut and paste" job onto the drawings. That worked fine.

There's still a fair number of ISO-font LEROY sets listed on eBay these days: https://www.ebay.com/b/Leroy-Lettering/14017/bn_7023237212?_pgn=3

Edited by Bob Cleek

And those Staedler technical pens of various line widths  (hollow tubes with wire) that always clogged when you least needed them to! And don't get me started on Letraset and Linotype machines....

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

6 hours ago, druxey said:

And those Staedler technical pens of various line widths  (hollow tubes with wire) that always clogged when you least needed them to! And don't get me started on Letraset and Linotype machines....

Yeah, you have to keep them scrupulously clean, Nothing gives a drawing the "snap" of real India ink, though. 

Rotring Rapidograph technical drawing pens

I agree, Letraset stunk. Nobody could equal K&E's LEROY system. It's such a shame that the art of drafting went by the boards. I realize the advantages of CAD, goodness knows, but I'm sorry that the younger generation doesn't realize that there was a time when drafting was a real art !  When one goes over the near-photographic mechanically drawn illustrations of drafting instruments in the old K&E and Dietzgen catalogs and realize they were all done with drafting instruments, it makes me sad to realize we've lost that today with CAD printouts. The old time engineers and mechanics could look at a drawing and vizualize it in 3D. Now, that is easily done for the "dummies" right on the screen. It's not the same, though. I've looked at thousands of drawings and there's no comparison between a good mechanical drawing and a CAD print out, no matter how you cut it. The human-drawn plan has life. The CAD drawing doesn't.

Boats. Cabin Plan of 'Vril'. & Deck Plans 5 tons - 1891 - Old Print - Antique Print - Vintage Print - Printed Prints of Boats

Edited by Bob Cleek

9 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

I've looked at thousands of drawings and there's no comparison between a good mechanical drawing and a CAD print out, no matter how you cut it. The human-drawn plan has life. The CAD drawing doesn't.

Bob - I totally agree - HOWEVER, as a CAD professional (45+ years) I will admit that CAD offers precise and exact drafting qualities, but does in fact lack the Life in a drawing. It's also one of the reasons the old technical graphics drawings that accompanied many technical manuals were so nice to look at - perfectly rendered shading, proportion, and depth - all by hand.

Construction Underway:

Completed:
Royal Caroline (1748)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

5 hours ago, Hank said:

Bob - I totally agree - HOWEVER, as a CAD professional (45+ years) I will admit that CAD offers precise and exact drafting qualities, but does in fact lack the Life in a drawing. It's also one of the reasons the old technical graphics drawings that accompanied many technical manuals were so nice to look at - perfectly rendered shading, proportion, and depth - all by hand.

Yes, indeed. I don't think we'll be seeing any CAD prints hanging in maritime museums a hundred years from now.

They don't make them like they used to. All hand-drawn with drafting instruments:

Battery Gun patent drawing by R.J. Gatling Taken on May 9, 1865