FINISHED - Scammell Pioneer SV2S Heavy Breakdown Tractor - IBG Models - 1:35 Scale

The Scammell Pioneer SV2S Heavy Breakdown Tractor will be my next project. First, a little history behind the tractor (borrowed from Wikipedia) then some photos of the box and instruction sheets before beginning the build.

Designed as a 6×4 off-road vehicle for use in Britain's colonies where sealed roads were scarce, the Pioneer was first produced in 1927. Though lacking all-wheel drive, its combination of a suspension with great travel, excellent traction, and a low-revving engine gave it impressive pulling power on rough ground at low speeds.

Though not designed for military use, the British War Office purchased a single petrol engined example in 1932. Equipped as a tank transporter with a permanently coupled 18t semi-trailer, it was assigned to a training unit but did not initially catch on. Additional transporters were not purchased until 1937.

From 1936, the British Army began to receive Pioneer heavy recovery vehicles. The first 43 delivered were designated the Pioneer SV1S[1] and the Pioneer SV1T both with a 3-ton folding crane and lockers for recovery equipment and towing bars. Most of these early Pioneer recovery vehicles were lost with the BEF.

The Pioneer SV2S[2] had a simpler redesigned extending crane that provided greater lifting height. It was Introduced in 1938 and remained in production throughout the war, with a total of 1,975 built by the end of the war.

Among the Pioneer's equipment was a pair of tracks that could be fitted over the two rear wheels, converting it temporarily into a half-track and giving greater traction on soft ground.

The last Pioneer recovery vehicle was not retired from the British Army until the 1980s in Belize.

DSCN3703.thumb.JPG.c83dd5a6013aa2f6ac6f9ec28273ce64.JPGDSCN3704.thumb.JPG.591411e66f95ed8b3e84f7a2f81115fd.JPGDSCN3705.thumb.JPG.c7d0576aa6bb72cbb3668fe3f0087331.JPGDSCN3706.thumb.JPG.57aff41059da171c8597ad569c72d035.JPGDSCN3707.thumb.JPG.24857ead8539565859d2775e40034d93.JPGDSCN3708.thumb.JPG.ecc6635f2ac416ca666a506d1f4d1227.JPGDSCN3709.thumb.JPG.b779fc581d55b64f08f51fae7b002244.JPGDSCN3710.thumb.JPG.fce22a3feb3e6c26a6bacdead351d4c6.JPGDSCN3711.thumb.JPG.3197d1881eb44a1e36caca31e46d50a0.JPGDSCN3713.thumb.JPG.26402e6b913adb902ed493abc77f660f.JPG

DSCN3712.JPG

Edited by CDW

Definitely pullin up a big comfy lounger for this one....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I'm pulling up a seat.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

This will be good  Im  bringing a bed  far more comfy for the journey.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

don't forget your bunny slippers  :D 

if this isn't one rugged truck........nutt'in is  ;)    gotta be a huge decal sheet!    if OC falls asleep,  fire it up right off the manifolds.......that ought to wake 'em!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Late again😟 are there any seats left?😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Steps 1 thru 4 yields 7 tires/wheels assemblies, a stowage basket, a fuel tank, and the basic engine minus some details that come along in later construction steps. The plastic moldings are very nice. The plastic is unusually soft so one needs to take care so as not to gouge or accidentally cut it. The kit comes with one sheet of photo etch for details.

DSCN3714.thumb.JPG.5a4d8e61978d1466ba23041db5f4ac4f.JPG

The tire/wheel assemblies are 3 each per tire tread rotation pattern, and one spare tire.

DSCN3719.thumb.JPG.758554683bc8fba65751b0e63277765b.JPG

The stowage basket.

DSCN3716.JPG.4bf13f50f40d0ca39d614d54b71c80af.JPG

The fuel tank.

DSCN3715.thumb.JPG.273ca2654be30e66fd9e4c43528ad247.JPG

The engine.

DSCN3717.JPG.aef04502ab94efa0c226094a6761d3ae.JPGDSCN3718.JPG.df779ac0424e1aaa3a6c3756e931ca20.JPG

I'm in. No need to find extra room I will find a place, Usually somewhere in the rafters. Now that I am getting to the OD section of mi build I need some lessons on how to properly spread it around and make it look right. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Love the patriotic music. 

Actually quite the maneuver getting that tank out the way they did. When I was stationed in Ft. Sill for my AIT training the vehicle they used to retrieve tanks was: 

M88 Hercules Recovery Vehicle

And it was only considered a medium recovery vehicle!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

8 hours ago, CDW said:

M88?

Yes, one of only two recovery vehicles I ever saw up close. The other was the M578 Light Recovery Vehicle. 

M578 Light Armored Recovery Vehicle. | Military vehicles, Army ...

I never got any closer than just seeing them but they seemed pretty big to me at the time. 

I even have a kind of war story about them. We had a lieutenant who was giving a speech on these vehicles and as a side note he was explaining how the track system had two modes, the road mode where the wheels were locked out and made everything stiff and allowed the vehicle to travel faster on smooth surfaces. And the unlocked mode , where each wheel was allowed to rise and fall over whatever obstacle it came across, letting the vehicle have a more stable ride over rough terrain. To prove his point he threw the stainless thermos he had been drinking coffee from under the track and told the driver to move forward. I have no idea if the driver knew what was going on or not, but instead of the wheels rising over the thermos when the first wheel reached it the thermos spit out it's lid and flattened like a squished banana! The wheel and of course the vehicle didn't even attempt to rise over the thermos! It seems that the suspension was in lockout mode!

I don't think I ever saw either type of vehicle ever again.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Steps 5 thru 8 yields a more detailed engine, a radiator, a differential with primary drives and hubs, and the front suspension/axle/hubs.

DSCN3720.thumb.JPG.4ed290cfaaee71dccf6c72ecc2e490c3.JPG

The engine received more details including the fuel injectors and a photo etch fan. I have drilled out the injectors to add fuel lines (not included in kit). Will also add some scratch built linkage to the injectors.

DSCN3721.JPG.35e827f110332122f8c46d0ff2aff14e.JPG

I have never built a model kit with a more detailed radiator, at any scale. This radiator was an assembly that even included the two separate radiator cores inside. Amazing.

DSCN3722.JPG.25f1c43b3ea6e09951f5054b50c8ae3d.JPGDSCN3723.JPG.67a86a67fcb6aa08c51acfb551fa0001.JPG

The massive differential with primary drive units and hubs

DSCN3725.thumb.JPG.2cd747a01979352bd781848430f7f52e.JPGDSCN3726.thumb.JPG.ffea097a0422b77825791ebf5148b263.JPG

The front suspension with hubs

DSCN3724.thumb.JPG.c9af41eab71d9917ebba90af950bbda2.JPG

look'in good     :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Pretty beefy suspension there, it wasn't fast, but it would pull just about anything.... (the Germans used it to recover tiger tanks amongst other things) It had such a high reputation that all sides used them when they could get their hands on one....

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Just now, Egilman said:

Pretty beefy suspension there, it wasn't fast, but it would pull just about anything.... (the Germans used it to recover tiger tanks amongst other things) It had such a high reputation that all sides used them when they could get their hands on one....

Yes, the big Gardner 6 cyl diesel engine was the source of that power and reliability. The kit comes with the markings for a number of different countries that used them, including Nazi Germany.

Here is an interesting little video on the Gardner 6 cyl diesel. This one is being used in a marine application, but the old mechanic testifies to the reliability of the engine.

I think it makes it more interesting to paint seperate assemblies  - like mini  jobs.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

The rear differential assembly has an odd shape like it has standard axles out to the outer assembly then possibly chain driven out to the wheels? Do you have any information on how this was done, chains or gears?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

The rear differential assembly has an odd shape like it has standard axles out to the outer assembly then possibly chain driven out to the wheels? Do you have any information on how this was done, chains or gears?

It used standard axles internally to a sprocket that drove a dual linked roller chain to stub axles supporting a hub and rim/tire... The chain casing being designed in it's entirety as the beam unit of a walking beam suspension.... A very simple suspension low revs but very strong......

Quote:

Looking geat Craig.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

chassis looks splendid! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Steps 19 thru 28 deal with the body, bed, and boom. I got so carried away with building and painting the body and bed, almost forgot to take photos.

The body, bed, and boom sub assemblies have been completed and painting has been started. Because this body and bed has so much wood in the construction of it, I decided to take some artistic license to paint it in a natural wood color with only the framework in olive drab. Maybe before I'm done with it, I'll put OD over the wood and do some scuffing/chipping, wear and tear, to show off the wood underneath. Haven't decided for sure yet.

Anyway, here's where I am with painting the body/bed assembly right now. Just a Vallejo wood color with a Vallejo burnt umber wash, so far. Before it's all done, will add more wood tones to make it look more authentic.

DSCN3755.thumb.JPG.a030dd42c1210848383e910e8dc998b0.JPGDSCN3756.thumb.JPG.ca9a11f00ac2a27eb6fd937e33f85e7d.JPGDSCN3757.thumb.JPG.1600a3dae148e4f94693a91617e390b5.JPGDSCN3758.thumb.JPG.90b44989686eb79af214397cac10e31b.JPGDSCN3759.thumb.JPG.e79a847933f82810731c5320f756bf0f.JPG 

to me....I wouldn't ..........you did a great job imitating the wood :)   maybe muck it up a little?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: