FINISHED - Scammell Pioneer SV2S Heavy Breakdown Tractor - IBG Models - 1:35 Scale

CDW

I had to have several looks to see it wasn't wood   - very good job.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

You could scuff it up with sandpaper, the color is too uniform. Then put some light washes on.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Disappointing if you ask me.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

2 minutes ago, CDW said:

Disappointing that Trumpeter is releasing those kits? 

Not that their releasing, that they haven't included what I think is the most needed ship class in 1/350th....

Brooklyn class Light Cruisers

But they don't care about 1/350th anymore cause they now realize that the real issue is bigger is better.... People will pay hundreds of dollars for those behemoths....

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

10 minutes ago, CDW said:

In other important news:

Has anyone else heard that Trumpeter is planning to release the following 1:200 scale battleship kits:

Tirpitz

Gneisenaue 

Scharnhorst

Be still my heart!

In case you think I'm joking, take a look on Hannants website, and all three have placeholders for their inventory. 

😀😃😃😀

What I am keeping my eye on for the very very distant future when I become rich  is  this  - 

Atlantic Models Resin 1/350  scale of  HMS  Edinburgh   batch 3  type 42  RN Destroyer  

OC.

Sorry to have de railed  your build Craig.

ATK 35020 HMS Edinburgh (Type 42 Destroyer (Batch 3)

HMS Edinburgh.jpg

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

Just now, Egilman said:

Not that their releasing, that they haven't included what I think is the most needed ship class in 1/350th....

Brooklyn class Light Cruisers

But they don't care about 1/350th anymore cause they now realize that the real issue is bigger is better.... People will pay hundreds of dollars for those behemoths....

Ooooh, now I get it.

Yeah, I would love to see the Omaha class cruisers as well. I think the cruisers would hold more of a niche market place, maybe. The Asian sales market is bigger than our own, perhaps they are not as interested in American cruisers. 

18 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Atlantic Models Resin 1/350  scale of  HMS  Edinburgh   batch 3  type 42  RN Destroyer  

Yeah, she's only available in 1/700th scale at the moment.... unless you want to kitbash the resin Atlantic models type 1

Quote:

3 hours ago, CDW said:

perhaps they are not as interested in American cruisers. 

I agree with both the comment and choice of the Omaha class, most notably the Marbelhead, what could arguably be considered the sole surviving cruiser of ABDA. But my choice would be the Northampton heavy cruisers. After years of searching and waiting I was finally able to get a resin kit of the Houston but a 1/200 plastic kit would not bother me at all. Three feet of pure history every bit as deserving as any of the German WWII ships!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I've been say'in that for a while now.......there are so many lesser known ship that are begging to be modeled.  there are kits that can be bashed......but sometimes takes a lot of work......if you want it bad enough.  there is enough aftermarket out there to do a fairly decent job.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

3 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

I've been say'in that for a while now.......there are so many lesser known ship that are begging to be modeled.  there are kits that can be bashed......but sometimes takes a lot of work......if you want it bad enough.  there is enough aftermarket out there to do a fairly decent job.

There are a lot of choices in paper models...just need to develop that skill myself.

8 minutes ago, CDW said:

There are a lot of choices in paper models

Just what I would need, another modeling medium that I have absolutely no expertise in! I am hardly functional in the mediums I have used! But you are right, paper or card has a much broader selection range, at very affordable prices to boot.  All we need to do is look at the Royal Katherine and others by Doris to see that even card has unlimited possibilities with the right talent and effort.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Just what I would need, another modeling medium that I have absolutely no expertise in! I am hardly functional in the mediums I have used! But you are right, paper or card has a much broader selection range, at very affordable prices to boot.  All we need to do is look at the Royal Katherine and others by Doris to see that even card has unlimited possibilities with the right talent and effort.

I just need to grow some courage and dive in. I have several nice card models in my stash, just need to do it. Cutting all the parts is intimidating.

12 minutes ago, CDW said:

I just need to grow some courage and dive in.

I'm already currently in over my head with my Huey, with at least three more kits in line after that before I even consider taking on something else. What do think I am, Denis? I am strictly a one-at-a-time kind of person.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Got to say I've been given a tough lesson with card models, I started the Sherman  and stalled,  there's more to them than I thought.  But the variety of subjects you can get is amazing. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

my ear was burning......what?!?!?! :wacko:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

19 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

"What - what"??????

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

How many builds do you have ongoing right now Denis?:D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

the wood looked really good........but what you've done here looks better.  it does keep with the overall look of the model :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Just now, popeye the sailor said:

the wood looked really good........but what you've done here looks better.  it does keep with the overall look of the model :) 

Thanks Denis. Trying to find a balance between too much and not enough. Lots of weathering, nicks and chips to go.

The paint I've used is acrylic (Tamiya), and have learned that some gentle use of a brush dampened with alcohol will also remove the top layer of paint to reveal the second layer (wood, metal, or whatever). Just have to be careful (gentle) because the alcohol can remove more than intended.

Wouldn't dare try to tell you how to do your modeling Craig. That would be like the donkey telling the lion how to eat meat, but I have found that Windex can be used for stuff like that as well. At least for the acrylics I have been using.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Just now, lmagna said:

Wouldn't dare try to tell you how to do your modeling Craig. That would be like the donkey telling the lion how to eat meat, but I have found that Windex can be used for stuff like that as well. At least for the acrylics I have been using.

Hey, I'm always open for suggestions. By no means do I know all the answers.

I know some modelers who use AK Xtreme Metal aluminum paint, then paint their acrylic paint over it. They use the alcohol treatment to remove the top layer of acrylic paint to reveal the aluminum underneath. This is their paint chipping technique for model aircraft and other aluminum skinned things. The alcohol won't hurt the Xtreme Metal paint at all. 

That is looking excellent mate   coming togther nicely.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.