HMS Speedy by ErnieL - Vanguard Models - 1/64

Looks pretty decent to me.  As far as where the planking meets the bottom of the gunport pattern,you need to have a nice,rounded transition.  A hard edge would be difficult to apply the second planking in that area.  Someone who is also building this kit may want to chime in.   As far as the low spots,sand as much as you can without getting the wood too thin,then filler is your friend!    Those gunport patterns are notoriously difficult to get to lay perfectly smooth.    You might want to check in some of the other Speedy logs to see how they handled it.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

8 hours ago, James H said:

That looks fine to me. Just hit the 180 grade paper and give it an all over smooth. I see you thinned down the stern post area too, so that's good.

Curving the side of that play too at stern is fine. It needs to be curved or you won't lay your second layer properly.

Good deal. 

After the cautions given here a week or two ago I gave some extra love and attention to the sternpost.  I worry about going too far. It's so much easier to remove material than it is to add it.

On the bench:  Vanguard Models 1/64 HMS Speedy

On Deck:

Vanguard Models 1/64 Zulu,

Vanguard Models 1/64 Fifie,

Victory Models 1/72 HMS Bellerophon 

Looks good to me too Ernie - a very sound basis for your second planking. 

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thanks guys. I’m back at it, making glorious sawdust. 

A drawback though.  The War Department noticed my new woodworking skills and dropped a note on my bench. It only said, “new wood patio furniture”.  :(  and a gift card to the local lumber yard. 

On Deck:

Tell the War Department that's fine, so long as she doesn't mind the furniture being 1:64 scale 😀

Cheers, Derek

It would be hilarious to put a 1:64 chair on the kitchen counter with a note that says “how many more chairs do we need”

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Ive been away from the bench of late due to a death in the family, and have only had a couple hours to work on sanding the first planking to shape.

I think she’s starting to really look the part. I’m going to smooth this as far as I dare, then give her a skim coat of filler, although I’m not sure she’ll really need much, if any.  I see a couple slight wows in the form, but I think most, if not all should sand out. 

My glacial build progress is legendary in plastic circles, but this is insane. Jim built the entire Flirt and I’ve gotten as far as thinking about stern planking. 🤩

Comments? 

61AAB12B-C163-4443-974F-CB1791D87E88.jpeg

333D8F53-E5A7-4CE7-BC34-0D8902907C72.jpeg

72CFBF46-A418-4536-BE0F-00C63EE68E81.jpeg

C1DFEEFC-AC47-4B4D-B05D-18215463825B.jpeg

055C672E-7335-4E50-B479-493CC6FBC501.jpeg

9384D95E-0E0C-42ED-9BF2-C34B797EFFBF.jpeg

43F4A8DC-F8FE-4BEB-8B6D-82B48CA409CE.jpeg

566C0A71-A391-4C6E-A748-6C790B7E3B47.jpeg

3A00B6B2-A2CB-4AA5-801B-9A332265D811.jpeg

BB30593A-F052-4A1F-9E42-72214F53D25C.jpeg

6F71A3D1-50A8-43D3-B073-5E134DA6B8AA.jpeg

On Deck:

I don’t think a skim coat of filler is necessary, it looks fine.  You might have gone a tad thin on the sternpost, try holding two pieces of 2nd planking either side and holding the sternpost to it so you know how much you can, or can’t sand on the second planking. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I agree  - you've made an excellent job of the first planking. Whilst I also agree with Glenn that the sternpost might be a little thin, I think you might also want to take a little more 'meat' out of the deadwood area in order to ensure you have a smooth taper into the sternpost. It's always difficult to judge from photos though, so you'll be best placed to decide once you've taken Glenn's advice with the strips of second planking.

Cheers, Derek

On 7/7/2020 at 2:45 AM, DelF said:

I agree  - you've made an excellent job of the first planking. Whilst I also agree with Glenn that the sternpost might be a little thin, I think you might also want to take a little more 'meat' out of the deadwood area in order to ensure you have a smooth taper into the sternpost. It's always difficult to judge from photos though, so you'll be best placed to decide once you've taken Glenn's advice with the strips of second planking.

Yep the pics ARE misleading, but I did fair it in a touch more. 

On Deck:

• 1 month later...

Hi Ernie,

I was reading your log an i thought that you will be my example....

Speedy is almost the same as the Flirt 🙂

First planking looks great.

Sjors

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks. It’s been awhile, we had a death in our family and the estate took awhile. 

Ive been piddling away at the second planking, but haven’t had time to really sit down for a genuine bench session.  

Had a couple hours this evening and here’s where we stand today.

Obviously not my best work, but for a first attempt, I’m not totally uptight. I might have waited a prank or two too late to start fairing them together, but I think it’ll work out. 

Im seriously concerned about the gaps, but we’ll fill as needed with sawdust. 

B9F763C6-BB1D-442D-895A-E8D6CA316F5F.jpeg

AD18274B-DBAA-4D9F-9F58-035B9BB5B4A9.jpeg

8B186517-D438-4E03-AE78-C298050A532E.jpeg

On Deck:

On 8/13/2020 at 2:11 PM, Sjors said:

Hi Ernie,

I was reading your log an i thought that you will be my example....

Speedy is almost the same as the Flirt 🙂

First planking looks great.

Sjors

Thanks Sjors, but you do know this my first ever ship of this type, right?  

On Deck:

Good Lord!

Check out the visible projects!  

1/32 Sea Fury racer airframe

1/32 AEG bomber fuselage

1/32 FW.190 A-3 engine

1/32 Ki-45 engine

1/48 B-36 Peacemaker interior 

yikes!  

On Deck:

Pretty sure you need taper in those planks at the bow , full size planks won’t fit all the way down the bow. Have you checked out Delk’s Speedy build for comparison?

Regards,

Glenn

Looks fantastic Ernie!  Add a little sawdust filler and you’ll be good to go.

I’m sure Speedy appreciates the company on the work bench 😉

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

10 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Pretty sure you need taper in those planks at the bow , full size planks won’t fit all the way down the bow. Have you checked out Delk’s Speedy build for comparison?

Yep, surer have and I agree. I'll start tapering the bow planks on the next line.

On Deck:

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looks fantastic Ernie!  Add a little sawdust filler and you’ll be good to go.

I’m sure Speedy appreciates the company on the work bench 😉

Thanks, and yes, I'll certainly begin generating some sawdust filler.  And beveling the top edges as well.

On Deck:

45 minutes ago, ErnieL said:

I'll start tapering the bow planks on the next line.

May I suggest you should've started that sooner so all the planks at the bow were more or less the same width, just as they are the same width at midships, it creates a more natural look. I'd think you'll also need to do some plank bending to fit the curve. I've recommended Chuck's method in the past and I recall others have offered other methods, whichever you choose the sooner you start that the better.

Don't over-bevel the top edges, it doesn't take much, just softening the corner is enough.If you do it all right you won't need the filler 😄

Regards,

Glenn

5 hours ago, SpyGlass said:

presume you mean to chamfer the inner edge when you say bevel. 

I assume this is one of challenges of the US and the UK sharing English as a common language when you say Chamfer.  So I did a l a quick Google search:

“A chamfer is a transitional edge between two faces of an object.  It is often created at a 45° angle between two adjoining right-angled faces. 

Bevel - the angle that one surface or line makes with another when they are not at right angles.

A ‘chamfer’ may sometimes be regarded as a type of ‘bevel,’ and the terms are often used interchangeably.“

So I guess Americans say bevel, English say chamfer. 

Regards,

Glenn

Just to add to the chamfer/bevel, I would say a bevel is a definite angle with sharp edges whereas a chamfer has softer edges. 

I'll get my coat 😬

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

On 8/24/2020 at 6:53 PM, glbarlow said:

May I suggest you should've started that sooner so all the planks at the bow were more or less the same width, just as they are the same width at midships, it creates a more natural look. I'd think you'll also need to do some plank bending to fit the curve. I've recommended Chuck's method in the past and I recall others have offered other methods, whichever you choose the sooner you start that the better.

Don't over-bevel the top edges, it doesn't take much, just softening the corner is enough.If you do it all right you won't need the filler 😄

Well, if worst comes to worst, she’ll be yellow ochre, black and white above the copper.  Live and learn, I suppose 

On Deck:

On 8/24/2020 at 6:31 AM, ErnieL said:

Thanks Sjors, but you do know this my first ever ship of this type, right?  

That doesn't matter if it is your first ship.

I build  a few more and you are all ready doing a better job.

I take a look from time to time 🙂

Sjors

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Well, it’s now time to resurrect this build and get back on it.  Been busy over on LSM, building plastic, and shepherding my business through the China Virus as best we could. We made it!
I’ve been picking away at it, but now with DocRob building the Royal Barge over on LSM, my fires are now relit.  I’ve stripped the second planking back to the main wale and am going to start afresh, this time paying more attention to tapering the second planking as I go.  
I’m going to approach Chris and attempt to source 20 or so pear planks to make up for those I goobered up.  
I’m drooling over Vanguard’s newest offerings, with new fishing boats and a real, honest to goodness sixty rate post ship!  

Edited by ErnieL

On Deck: