New from Brisbane, Australia

Jii

I'm new to modelling of any kind and the only nautical knowledge I have is from reading all of Patrick O'Brian's novels. I opened a 15 year old gift a few days ago (H.M.S. Endeavour -Artesania Latina) and made a few tentative beginnings. Wisely I read the cautionary note by Chris Coyle before blundering on further.

I'm looking at a couple of easier kits, from Modellers Shipyard based in Sydney, and wondering what the experience has been with these kits. I'm especially interested in the quality of instructions provided, which with the LA kit (albeit 15 years old) are very basic.

I can't speak to their instructions, but Modellers Shipyard kits have been generally well received. We currently have sixteen build logs on hand for various Modellers Shipyard kits, which you can check out by clicking here.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome from Ballarat! 

1 hour ago, Jii said:

the only nautical knowledge I have is from reading all of Patrick O'Brian's novels.

Well, IMHO that's a good start.

There are a few threads with recommendations for beginners' models - have a look at this one - 

Though I'm not a kit builder, Model shipways and Vanguard seem to be well recommended for beginners, with clear instructions.

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome to the forum from the Nation’s capital Jii. You’ll find there are quite a number of us Aussies here. Regarding first kits, although I’ve not built one, there are some nice offerings from Vanguard models available that are specifically designed with beginners in mind. There are also a couple of reviews of these kits here on the forum, and a few build logs underway. Although UK based, so postage will take a while in the current COVID environment, they could be worth waiting for. I don’t think you’ll find better sets of instructions anywhere.

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Jii, when you've made your decision, you should start a build log - we love to see members' progress with their models and you can get advice from those who have gone before.

Don't worry if you feel a bit daunted by it all - it happened to us all when we were first starting out. And don't worry too much about making mistakes. There's a lot of fun and fulfilment to be had, and even though you may be very aware of how it could have been better it's a learning process, and today's mistakes become lessons for your future builds.  

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Hello and a warm welcome from down south in Sydney.

I've built two Modellers Central kits and am on my third one......(very slow progress on the current build due to work and other commitments )and can recommend their kits. They have detailed instructions on all their models (full colour and easy to follow) and they also have DVD's so you can watch an experienced model maker explain the build you choose step by step. As a newbie I found the DVD's extremely helpful

Cheers and enjoy your new hobby.............Fernando :cheers: 

Current Builds - Colonial Brig Perseverance 1807 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - 1:48 scale

Previous Builds - 

S Lucia by Fernando E - Panart - Scale 1:30

Sloop Norfolk 1798 by Fernando E - Modellers Shipyard - Scale 1:36 

Wow! Thank you to all those members from my home country and much further afield that have taken the time to welcome me and encourage me. I really do appreciate the support. 

I have already learnt much from browsing through the various build logs. Sometime soon I'll order a new kit and with great trepidation commence a build log as suggested. I'm sure I will provide plenty of amusement for the experienced model builder - no laughing out loud though!

Thank you again everyone for the great welcome and encouragement. I'm really pleased I joined.

I don't believe for a minute there will be laughter at mistake and questions.  We've all been there.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello  Jii Welcome to MSW

Yes it can be a tricky business, model ship building, but very enjoyable.

Whilst looking at kits look here https://thenrg.org/half-hull-planking-kit.php

A lot of beginners get stuck with the fairing and planking, and learn the correct technique first up.

It comes with a very detailed set of instructions.

I am on to my 3rd model so far and as yet have not done one in the correct traditional method.

I have ordered one and will arrive soon I hope, and will do before I start the ship boats for my Mermaid.

And maybe get yourself a little fun build to do as well.

Hooroo Chris

On 6/21/2020 at 1:16 PM, Jii said:

Sometime soon I'll order a new kit and with great trepidation commence a build log as suggested. I'm sure I will provide plenty of amusement for the experienced model builder - no laughing out loud though!

I think we all went through that feeling when we started out - it's  natural enough, particularly when we mere mortals see some of the amazing builds that the really experienced modellers do. I know I still feel daunted by many of them, and very aware of my own shortcomings, and I've been on MSW for over 5 years!

But I've never had an adverse comment, and certainly not ridicule - just supportive comments; and the occasional bit of "have you thought of doing it like this . . .?" which is usually very welcome.

I have to say this is the best forum I've ever been on - others I've come across (which shall be nameless, but aren't to do with ship modelling) descend into namecalling and flame wars, which make one very unwilling to continue even with a subject you're really interested in. This has never happened on MSW in my experience - quite the contrary, everybody is supportive and those who are able to help, do so.

Hi - I've built one ship from Modellers Shipyard, HM Cutter Mermaid. Ideal for you with it's Australian history, regretfully it's not the most accurate kit given how much information is out there but there are a number of good builds on this forum that detail this little cutter well and it's not at all hard to alter the kit slightly to become a truer model. It was my second build and I found it straight forward and gave a pleasing result.

Rick

G’day from across the ditch!

Plenty of good advice already so won’t add much more other than a +1 for Vanguard models.

I’ve just completed my first build and am well on my way through my second.

Lots of good advice available on here when needed so well worth starting a build log.

Good luck!