I have had a problem for the last three days.....

Between the hours of 1:00pm and 6:00pm Pacific Standard Time, the site forum is inaccessible. It times out when trying to load...

I can get to the NRG website and any where else I usually travel, just NOT the forum. I tried re-booting, I've tried Firefox and Chrome

It doesn't matter... I contacted the ISP to see if they were doing anything, (I'm paying for unlimited bandwidth) And they say no, they aren't doing anything that would take sites offline or limit access, it is a site issue....

So I'm asking, is there something going on in the background you guys are reconfiguring that has the potential to cause the site to go offline during those hours?

Three days in a row at exactly the same times...

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Thanks Chris, it's the most confounding thing I've ever had to deal with, and it happens right in the middle of my posting wheelhouse.....

Frustrating... well I hope it goes away quickly...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Egilman,

There have been blackouts and slowdowns country wide with the lockdown.  And some places are still seeing them. Part of this issue with slowdowns is folks binge watching movies online.   I've run into that off and on down here where I am.   Running some tools like tracert, the dead times aren't in any one location.  The Internet routes as best it can and sometimes it's not most direct.   

I do hope that once most places come out of lockdown, things will get better.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark,

Yes it is - indeed - an ongoing problem. Yesterday we had Frontier Communications come out to do some "other" work in our condo building. He mentioned that since copper is being fazed out issues are much more common now, especially during this lockdown. Our condos happen to all be Fios optical - we have had no issues whatsoever.  He also mentioned that these issues will get worse as copper goes into retirement. 

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

EG if you use Chrome or Firefox on a Windose system press F12 , you get the development tool, go to the Network tab and refresh the page you are having trouble with, look at the http status code 200 400 or 500 series. 200 is OK for fetching the page or data, the remainder refer to either wrong url's (400) or an error on the server (500)

Look at the console tab and find out what didn't load for scripts, which could be a problem. The MSW site's pages are riddled with supportinhg scripts - as a matter of fact most web sites are - when you have a slow connection that might be a source of the problem

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Reset your modem and try again.  This usually solves that issue.  It is sometime as easy as turning of your modem and turning it back on again.

Works for me every time.

Chuck

I also had problems getting on the forum 4 or 5 weeks back, that was in the early  hours of the day, so it seems it's not confined to the US, but as EG said after a couple of hours everything is fine. 

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Reset your modem and try again.  This usually solves that issue.  It is sometime as easy as turning of your modem and turning it back on again.

Works for me every time.

Chuck

This I did as I was always told if it don't work, switch it off and then switch it back on.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I had a 12 hr blackout yesterday 6AM on the dot until 6PM on the dot.....  so far that has been it... Trace route shows the ping making it through Tacoma, then Seattle, but when it hit Chicago, Nothing, deader than a doornail nothing on multiple attempts....

I suspect they were doing internet backbone server upgrades or something of that nature.... and another thing, they all went to the same server..... which I thought was something the internet avoided...

Anyway the modem is certified by the ISP to be functioning correctly (after several Xfinity restarts) they don't know what happened either but suspect the same as I do.... someone had a backbone server node offline for a while.... The thing that stumps them is why the internet didn't re-route the request to another node....

They have started an inquiry into why....

Strange things happening ......

Quote:

4 hours ago, Egilman said:

Strange things happening ......

Not really. It is the usual unexpected behaviour which is normal. Fair chance it is a misconfigured route on one of the nodes

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...