Muirneag 1903 by Blue Ensign – FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 scale - A Scottish Zulu Fishing Boat Based on the Vanguard Models Zulu Kit

Muirneag 1903 – A Scottish Zulu Fishing Boat. 1:64 scale

Based on the Vanguard Models Zulu Kit.

I have decided to remodel the kit to represent the Muirneag, a sailing Zulu that had a working career of 36 years, being broken up in 1947.

Zulu seems a strange name for a Scottish fishing boat type, but came about because it was first developed at the time of the Zulu wars.

It was a hybrid fishing vessel, taking the best qualities of the Scaffie (sharply raking stern) and the Fifie (vertical bow)

Many Zulu’s were converted to steam but Muirneag continued as a sailing drifter to the end of her career.

I prefer to model an actual subject and the kit represents a large Zulu boat prevalent at the very end of their development in the early 20c with a length of some 80 feet, the Muirneag of 1903 is a prime example, and the kit fits the bill for modification.

A comparison of the kit plans and those of the Muirneag, confirms that the major dimensions are comparable, and the deck layout and fittings are pretty much the same with only minor variances which won’t present any difficulties to address.

I don’t have the actual masting and yard dimensions for Muirneag but I do have details for other large Fifie/ Zulu boats which are not very different from the kit provided detail, so there should not be any issues with fitting the kit provided sail set.

There is a lot of information about Muirneag:

Large scale, highly detailed plans by Harold Underhill, and a couple of builds based on these plans that provide excellent photos.

Muirneag built by Gordon Williams who recorded his build in Model Shipwright No’s 143 and 144 and has online details of his build.

http://www.muirneag.net/

A Muirneag model built by Jan van den Heuvel with excellent detail photos.

https://www.modelships.de/Muirneag_J_v_d_Heuvel/Muirneag_J_v_d_Heuvel_eng.htm

There are photos of a Muirneag model in the NMM built by Geoge MacLeod

https://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/65970.html

With all this information addressing any simplifications necessitated by the kit format is made a whole lot easier.

My initial research on the Fifie will also pay dividends when it comes to the Zulu and save some of the initial head scratching I had with the Fifie build.

B.E.

12/08/20

I really looking forward to seeing you build this model. Those models in the links you provided are stunning. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I’m along for the ride again BE - always interesting to watch your builds and the way you put your own stamp on them.

Cheers Guys for your interest.🙂

@ Yves – Chris has done a fine job with this kit which stands very well in its own right, and I’m impressed with the level of small detail provided. Inclusion of such items as the coal bunker hatch, pump deck plate, additional hook positions for the Fore tack, roller for the warp hatch, and the distinctive horizontal wheel, pay testimony to the research Chris has put into this kit.

I don’t really think additional wood sheets are required, it’s more a question of tweaking the layout to suit Muirnead.

My least favoured detail are the unconvincing rings for the fish hatch boards, I didn’t include them on the Fifie, and they are not shown on the Muirneag plans, or actual photos of sailing drifters, as far as I can see.

I can sort of see why perhaps Chris included them given his target market, some modellers may like to see them as a feature, and it avoids the question – shouldn’t there be hatch rings.

@ John – The story of working these boats is fascinating, and I’m full of admiration for the skill and bravery of the fishermen who handled these large luggers in the less than desirable conditions of the North Sea.

A very hard life indeed.

@ Bob – Having all that reference material is of great help when undertaking a project such as this, but I’ll consider myself lucky if I get anywhere near to those wonderful scratch builds. Thanks to Chris he has provided the makings to have a go.

@ Grant – Thank you for your support, I’ll try to do it justice. 👍

B.E.

13/08/20

That's a pleasant looking work space, BE.  I have to admire your woodworking bench with the dogholes and front vise.  I'm gearing up to build one for myself, so that I can build drawers and another bench for the basement, where my boatyard will be. 

I also like the way you've neatly stowed all your equipment. 

Frankly, I'm jealous.

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

I love that big plan that you have of the Muirneag. Where were you able to buy it? 

Also, just out of curisosity, is Muirneag pronounced just as it is spelled?

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Thanks Martin, My bench was store bought many years ago, it does have and end vice as well but not enough room to fit it. Those dog holes will be useful for some functions, but I had to buy a thick surface protector so I don't loose bits  when using it for more general work.

@ Bob,  The Harold Underhill plans are widely available for around £10 each in the UK.

As for the name; as a mere Sassenach, I would hate to presume on the Gaelic pronunciation of Muirneag. I've never heard it spoken, but would hazard a phonetic guess at Moor'nag. 🤔

Would be interesting to know from someone who's heritage lies north of Hadrian's Wall, but even north of Hadrian's Wall, there's north and then again north. 😃

B.E.

I’ll once again enjoy watching you taking one of Chris Watten’s already excellent designs to the next level.  I like the idea of these smaller simpler models we can finish in a few months.  I say that as I just now get close to planking the final 9 planks on my Cheerful’s hull knowing how far I have to go yet. Speaking of which is that a plan of Cheerful on the right wall? I have the NMM print, just need a frame shop to reopen.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Thanks Glenn, yes it is the Cheerful plan, I think they make great 'art' works in their own right. I also have the Pegasus plan  framed in the same manner.

I look forward to seeing your completed Cheerful hull, I think you will be pleased it. I love the look of the Cheerful hull, with its high quality wood finishes, and minimal contrasting paintwork.

For me the next phase of a build - the fitting out, is the part I enjoy most.

B.E.

Post 1

First Steps - the basics.

Usual stuff of assembling the false keel, bulkheads, and sub decks.

Note:

With the exception of the false keel (15) the other parts on the 3mm mdf sheet are numbered differently on the plan and in the manual.

There are similar differences on the Bulkhead sheet, but the bulkheads do accord.

DSC06671.thumb.JPG.4ee5389138cc2ab32df40e862e0ef465.JPG

A minor confusion and irritation and perhaps something that needs addressing going forward.

I like to dry fit and fiddle around with the basic construction up to the fitting of the lower deck.

The bulkheads are a slightly looser fit than on my Fifie kit, and to ensure proper alignment, once lightly glued on the false keel I used the lower floor, Lower deck pattern, and Fore and aft filling patterns to keep things ship shape.

I initially glued the bulkheads 1-3 and then dry fitted the Fore filling pattern; followed by Bulkheads 10-14, secured by the Aft filling pattern; then the intervening bulkheads secured by the lower floor, and lower deck patterns.

DSC06657.thumb.JPG.194ce308fa9bae0296d28e02fa6aa9d8.JPG

Any excess glue was removed from around the bulkheads before the dry fit items were put into place.

The first three and last three bulkheads are marked for an element of pre-fit bevelling, which was done before fitting.

As per the manual I also assembled the superstructure comprising a Poop deck, the companionway to the below cabin area, and Fish hatch, which is checked for fit in the lower deck.

DSC06652.thumb.JPG.fde3ab8d9a1aba3f6e46e9944fd129aa.JPG

This structure won’t be needed for some time but is such that the fitting out of the Fish Hatch can be mostly done off model.

The Poop decking will not be put into place at this stage as I intend to open up the Companionway.

With the bulkheads fixed, the filling patterns are bevelled and  glued into place, followed by the lower floor and deck pattern.

DSC06665.thumb.JPG.6d0b464e7b5f3db775b2b3f168e0561f.JPG

The aft filling pattern is quite weak at its extreme end and one did snap during the bevelling process.

DSC06667.thumb.JPG.0d628933ec5992de5886747ec32c3de6.JPG

Here temporarily supported until glued into place.

Fitting the aft filling patterns gave me the most trouble at this stage. The Starboard pattern simply wouldn’t fit down flush with the keel without a deal of fettling, the port side was easier to fit but still needed a little slot sanding.

I finally fitted them dry and ran diluted pva along the joints.

At this stage the stern extension and last three bulkheads present a point of weakness.

DSC06660.thumb.JPG.ecdd044e7e0b608e2c1fc28571d3f587.JPG

There is a risk that this section could snap off if knocked, or even by heavy handed fairing of the last three bulkheads, which is best left until the sub deck is fitted.

The sub deck slotted between the bulkhead extensions without trouble and without any damage to the tabs.

1482676859_DSC06687(2).thumb.JPG.38370344caf2f0d08600c03232676bd2.JPG

6687(2)

The structure is now strong and rigid and can be handled with more confidence.

My final step in this stage is to add the rather nice Pearwood keel and stern post.

1254076553_DSC06695(2).thumb.JPG.40855208591d62092e861f0bf9f4ad2d.JPG

6695(2)

These slotted together and into the false keel with an excellent fit. As with the Fifie kit Chris has provided a number of keel alignment patterns, a simple but innovative idea.

1965271513_DSC06689(2).thumb.JPG.b64c49e957f812d1848b871dee4ddb9c.JPG

6689(2)

Although shown in place here the manual calls for leaving the stem piece off until completion of the first planking;

I’m undecided about taking this approach, my natural instinct is to rabbet the stem piece.

Effectively the first planking needs to be reduced to a feather edge at the bow and stern to allow for the second planking to fit flush into the secondary stem piece which forms a rabbet for the Pearwood planking.

B.E.

21/08/20

Hi BE,

Looking forward to watching the build progress.

I've got Vanguard Models' Lady Eleanor Fifie sitting impatiently in it's box waiting for my current build (Dallas Cutter) to finish. Living in Scotland, my plan is to visit the Scottish Fishing Museum in Anstruther once things quieten down and the Museum reopens. They have a restored fishing boat in harbour there, the Reaper.

As an aside, I notice you have the Proxxon MF70 Milling Machine in your workshop. I already have their mini lathe and one day might purchase a mill. How to you find the Proxxon mill?...is it robust enough for model making....any strengths/weaknesses?...and can it take light cuts on brass....and even the lightest skims off (gulp) mild steel?

All the best,

Richard

2 minutes ago, Rik Thistle said:

Hi BE,

Looking forward to watching the build progress.

I've got Vanguard Models' Lady Eleanor Fifie sitting impatiently in it's box waiting for my current build (Dallas Cutter) to finish. Living in Scotland, my plan is to visit the Scottish Fishing Museum in Anstruther once things quieten down and the Museum reopens. They have a restored fishing boat in harbour there, the Reaper.

As an aside, I notice you have the Proxxon MF70 Milling Machine in your workshop. I already have their mini lathe and one day might purchase a mill. How to you find the Proxxon mill?...is it robust enough for model making....any strengths/weaknesses?...and can it take light cuts on brass....and even the lightest skims off (gulp) mild steel?

All the best,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I love my little miller, and it is certainly robust enough for model making.

I have only used it for woodwork to date,  slotting sheaves in catheads, milling profiles etc; There are reviews on the forum of the mf70 which may inform its use with metal,  but it is designed for metal use.

I hope to have a holiday around Anstruther and see the Reaper which I based my Fifie build on.

Regards,

B.E.

Excellent! Thanks for the feedback B.E.  And I'll have a dig around the other parts of the website for more info.

Anstruther is a lovely, picturesque little town. St Andrews is just up the coast and, if you like golf, there are many wonderful golf links and inland courses to play on.

Regards,

Richard

Post 2

Preparing for planking

The first step is to complete the fairing and add the Bulwark patterns.

Fitting the bulwark patterns is a fairly painless exercise.

DSC06706.thumb.JPG.695717a0fe8f84dfaa9a6d7beb3741b4.JPG

Starting with the aft patterns soaking and wet fitting to form the shape using clamps to secure above decks, and bulkhead clamps for the lower edge.

DSC06721.thumb.JPG.d114746bb8d0fb6d6d8a00a3f6854f7c.JPG

I use a hairdryer to speed up the process to establish shape memory, and the patterns can then be attached.

Only the area below the bulkhead tabs is glued, so again clamps only are used to hold the top line. The lower edge is pinned into the bulkheads.

DSC06730.thumb.JPG.d5113adbc4c77a92f54bb6789dc85616.JPG

It helps to have everything to hand before starting, clamps, pins, pin pusher, and means to apply the glue.

DSC06720.thumb.JPG.4e93122a5976ff5632fa4922c523a4ad.JPG

For positioning the pattern I use the lower of the two  horizontal lines etched into the inside of the patterns, to align with the sub deck level.

This is something that was mentioned in the Fifie build, but not in the Zulu manual. In practice the top of the pattern mostly aligns with the tabs.

The Fore pattern bends easily around to the stem without the need for wetting. I did give it a blast of hot air whilst dry fitted and left it insitu overnight whilst the aft pattern was curing.

DSC06726.thumb.JPG.44c3983cb63e3d00c095f714a0a1f5d2.JPG

The fore pattern on my build at least, was a perfect fit for length.

I temporarily fitted the stem post and the secondary stem piece to assist with alignment.

147134149_DSC06733(2).thumb.JPG.4e892f90a3d28a0e405c84c98aa1ad2b.JPG

6733(2)

The distinctive sheer sweep to the stern now clearly apparent, plank tapering is going to be a significant feature of this build.

1832004729_DSC06731(2).thumb.JPG.805b85c73ffc8a3da75dc5e20b3a95f7.JPG

6731(2)

In this photo the stem piece is only dry fitted.

935931507_DSC06739(2).thumb.JPG.0779164d734711ccbbea88933c660219.JPG

6739(2)

I now need to consider my approach to planking.

B.E.

22/08/20

Nice explanation of the work BE. You have some serious clothes pins there. 

I know you’ll turn it in to something great, but I’m not sure I like the lines of this as much as Fifie.  I likely will regret that comment about 9 pages into this log as you bring it to life. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

1 hour ago, glbarlow said:

Nice explanation of the work BE. You have some serious clothes pins there. 

I know you’ll turn it in to something great, but I’m not sure I like the lines of this as much as Fifie.  I likely will regret that comment about 9 pages into this log as you bring it to life. 

Funny you say that, I much prefer the lines of the Zulu. If they were cars, I'd liken the Fifie to a full fat SUV and the Zulu a more sleek sports car.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Well I drive an SUV, so there you go 😀 I’m trying to learn to like fishing craft, it’s a process. BE’s logs are a great way to learn to love them. 

Regards,

Glenn

1 hour ago, chris watton said:

Funny you say that, I much prefer the lines of the Zulu.

I like them both but I preferred the sleek lines of the Zulu more and bought it for that reason. I was happy to hear that there may be some additional fishing vessels in your lineup of models in the future, Chris. Variety is the spice of life!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

34 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

I’m trying to learn to like fishing craft, it’s a process. BE’s logs are a great way to learn to love them. 

....then there are all of those stunningly beautiful, ocean racing sailboats...their lines are so gorgeous and the fittings are incredibly beautiful too...just sayin'....🙄

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: