Started to fit out the rear boom. Interesting that on the bottom of the boom there is a block and tackle setup that apparently goes nowhere. I seem to recall (and correct me if I'm wrong) that it is a tensioner to help prevent hogging of the boom itself.

IMG_4839.thumb.JPG.96d425b0d9d930f5c69e8ffcc957c871.JPG

In the Penobscott Marine Museum there is a schooner model with the same setup, belaying to the jaws.

IMG_4801.thumb.JPG.7fa7c24afd9b8d5a3dc46390fd9ba3c5.JPG

Edited by MrBlueJacket

• 2 weeks later...

Back from a great week teaching ship modeling at the WoodenBoat School, guess I have to work on OREGON...😎. Boat skids are all in and the boat cradles attached and painted. The boats are drying and will have their thwarts attached sometime today. Also attached one of the 6 pdrs on the hurricane deck.

IMG_4774.JPG

IMG_4775.JPG

That battleship is absolutely amazing!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Doing my favorite thing - rigging (grump...).

IMG_4794.JPG

IMG_4796.JPG

IMG_4797.JPG

IMG_4799.JPG

IMG_4800.JPG

IMG_4801.JPG

There are two bow scrolls in the kit - one photo-etched brass and one printed paper. The brass one is for those with really, really, really fine paint brushes. The stripes and stars are raised. The paper one is for those of us who want really nice sharp paint lines, but can't paint for crap...

IMG_4802.JPG

IMG_4798.JPG

Edited by alross2

Referring to post #122 above, the tackle under the boom is called a boom preventer guy. Our buddy Jerry T sent me this:

"Nic,

I came across the Model Ship World blog you and Al are doing regarding the WYOMING prototype.  An extraordinary model for sure.  I read with interest the question about the purpose of the luff tackle rigged along the bottom of the booms.  I came across this feature when researching my construction of the BOWDOIN model a number of years ago.  See photos below.  I found the answer to this question in Chapelle’s “The American Fishing Schooners”, page 357.  This was a boom guy, a preventer whose forward end was rigged to a staple on the rail just aft of the shrouds when the boom was rigged out for running before the wind.  Its purpose was to keep that boom steady as the vessel rolls and to prevent an accidental jibe.  Maintaining control of those booms was critical on the big schooners."

So while the boom sheet prevents it from extending too far, this guy prevents it from accidentally returning towards the boat thereby keeping it in a fixed position..

Edited by MrBlueJacket