At the moment, I'm developing three new kits for BlueJacket:  USS OREGON (BB3), NS SAVANNAH, and the schooner WYOMING.  Each has its own Facebook Group:  OREGON  https://www.facebook.com/groups/2345449125727256 ; SAVANNAH https://www.facebook.com/groups/415003942865004 ; WYOMING  WYOMING 6-MASTED SCHOONER | Facebook  .  Please visit and see how our kits are created from beginning to end.  For those not on Facebook, I will be doing a development and build log here.

Edited by alross2

good luck with the projects Al

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

These ships will be great additions to the Bluejacket line of models. I have often wondered why there wasn't a current model for the Wyoming. Looking forward to watching you develop these models.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

50 minutes ago, BobG said:

I have often wondered why there wasn't a current model for the Wyoming.

'Cuz it's huge, even in a small scale!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

7 hours ago, ccoyle said:

'Cuz it's huge, even in a small scale!

True...she'll be an unusual, impressive model for sure!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hi Al, I was up at the shop yesterday and Nic showed me the hull blanks for the Savanna. I'm excited to see the progress and the new kits. You guys have a wonderful shop going on in Searsport.

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)

Great choices for kits! I can’t wait to see them. Especially, the NS Savannah. I remember browsing my Grandfather’s collection of National Geographic’s and keep pulling out the issue that had an article about the Savannah. I look forward to following their development. Al, Thanks for sharing how you develop these ships.

Dave

• 5 weeks later...

I’m looking forward to seeing these, especially the Oregon!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 1 month later...

Switching back and forth on the three projects, but mostly on WYOMING.  Here's a page I finished up today.  

Photoetch for OREGON is almost ready for etching, so I hope to have that in a few weeks.  Once that is in hand, I can get back on OREGON and start putting up some in-process photos.

mastdoubling.jpg

Drawings from the other two kits in progress.  These are pretty much finished, although I will probably tweak them a bit as I build.  There's always the opportunity for the "You dummy, what were you thinking when you designed that?" realization when you actually start putting things together.

NSHATCH.jpg

VENTCRANE.jpg

Got this done today.  If you're wondering about the numbering system, F before a number is a stock britannia casting or machined brass piece, FWY is a casting made specifically for this kit,  LWY is a laser-cut piece specifically for WYOMING, and PEWY is a photo-etched part specifically for WYOMING.  All of the plans are accompanied by building/assembly instructions in the manual.  For a kit of this complexity, the manuals typically run 50 or more pages.

BOWSPRIT.jpg

Edited by alross2

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of tied ratlines, the WYOMING had round slats of either wood or metal. Now, I could just include lots of brass rod in the kit and let you cut and place them individually...😈. However, that would be outside my normal level of cruelty, so I'm including strips of laser-cut slats on .030" laser board. There are two widths as the forecastle ratlines were across three shrouds and the rest of the masts across two shrouds. All you have to do is remove the strip from the carrier sheet, trim to length, slather the back of the strip with glue, and set it on the shrouds. When the glue has dried, you just trim the slats to length with scissors or clippers. The laser-board is a nice dark brown color, so you don't even have to paint. There are a couple extra strips of both widths, just in case...

slat.jpg

1 hour ago, alross2 said:

Instead of tied ratlines, the WYOMING had round slats of either wood or metal. Now, I could just include lots of brass rod in the kit and let you cut and place them individually...😈. However, that would be outside my normal level of cruelty, so I'm including strips of laser-cut slats on .030" laser board. There are two widths as the forecastle ratlines were across three shrouds and the rest of the masts across two shrouds. All you have to do is remove the strip from the carrier sheet, trim to length, slather the back of the strip with glue, and set it on the shrouds. When the glue has dried, you just trim the slats to length with scissors or clippers. The laser-board is a nice dark brown color, so you don't even have to paint. There are a couple extra strips of both widths, just in case...

slat.jpg

Nice idea

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Here's a typical drawing for laser parts.  This is a 1/16" basswood sheet with parts for cabin sides, trestles and cross trees, hoister house, cargo hatch battens, etc.  All of the sheets have an ID number indicating the thickness, type of wood, and individual sheet number (if there are more than one).  For instance, this one is 116B1, which  indicates it's 1/16" basswood and sheet #1.  In the building manual, each laser cut part is identified by description, number, and which sheet it is on, which saves you hunting around on x number of sheets for that specific part.

116B1.jpg

Edited by alross2

When I printed out the initial General Arrangement drawing, the resulting sheet was 36" x 64" - kinda big for the average work surface. While it will still be included in the kit, I've broken down the deck plan into 11" x 17" sheets - fore, midships, aft. These will include measurements from a fixed point for placing the major structures. Here's the first draft of the Aft Section.  

aft.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Started approaching the rigging drawings this week.  The actual standing and running rigging sheets will be full size showing the entire vessel, but there will also be the isolated detail sheets.  I've changed the bowsprit construction sheet a number of times and am finishing up the first iteration of the bowsprit rigging 11" x 17" sheet.

SPRIT.jpg.04ec752c74d9c8dbb35625cfd2021961.jpg

BOWRIG.jpg

Edited by alross2

• 8 months later...

OK, back on the WYOMING kit development after a long hiatus.  I've added a laser-cut building board to it and am currently assembling the bulkheads to the profile.  Am making adjustments to the bulkhead shapes as they are assembled and revising their laser drawings -  1/32" here, 1/64" there, etc. 

The building board.  It will be used after the bulkheads are assembled to the profile and will provide a stable base for planking the hull.

w2.thumb.jpg.f2de05cb22567f2eeff20101db5f180d.jpg

Laserboard scroll work.

w4.thumb.jpg.7b576989c57e37ef1a3053bdce048c2e.jpg

First few bulkheads in place.

w1.jpg.d9511a4b903f6b4524f23dbcea1d6a44.jpg.  

One side of the sub deck(s).

w3.jpg

Some deck house components.  The long bars are hatch battens.

w5.jpg

Edited by alross2

So far this morning, I've attached all of the bulkheads, subdecks, filler blocks at the bow, and the keel stiffeners for the pedestals.

Bulkheads and subdecks in place.

.IMG_4391.JPG.26f3c856e408f93586667f0aa9fe2760.JPG

Bow filler blocks glued in place.  Stern will also have them.  They will be faired with the bulkheads once the frame is glued to the building board.

IMG_4395.JPG.7f73474958a26f0da9b83efefe837b33.JPG

The mast slots are boxed in with 3/32" strips and scrap 1/16" plywood.  This just prevents sideward movement of the masts once they are stepped.IMG_4392.JPG.9c4133c3f6d6a9fae5bf8b0ac7aa479b.JPG

A mahogany cradle is included, but for those wanting to use pedestals, 1/2" square stiffener blocks will be glued to both sides of the profile at the desired position of the pedestals.

IMG_4394.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

The garboards are two laser-cut pieces per side.  The aft portion in particular takes quite a twist, so soaking and clamping is pretty much necessary.  Because of the relative symmetry of the curved portions, each garboard has a small "k" lasered into the edge that meets the bottom of the keel.

271506761_10226543119783905_687419676168929258_n.jpg

GARBOARD ORIENTATION.jpg

Fascinating to see the development of these new kits, thanks for shring.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

• 2 weeks later...

WYOMING hull is planked and broken free from the building board.  I've laid the ten 1/16" x  3/32" mast partners and am now planking the rest of the deck with 1/16" square basswood.  It'll take about 200 strips to plank the deck.  The hull took about one hundred 3/32" x 1/4" strips.

My bench is about 36" tall, so...  This is just after I broke the hull away from the building board and sanded the subdeck and bulkhead extensions  flush.

IMG_4437.JPG

Laying the first planks of the mast partner.  They need to be absolutely straight along the centerline or the rest of the planks aren't going to come out right.

IMG_4442 (1).JPG

Mast partners on and the deck houses and hatches just set in place so I can see where to end the plank strips.

IMG_4448.JPG

Edited by alross2