Enzo Ferrari by CDW - FINISHED - Tamiya 1:24 Scale

CDW

On 12/3/2020 at 4:34 PM, lmagna said:

Very nice build Craig. I want one................... Not the model, the real thing!

Actually being the old foggie I am think I would like a Shelby American GT40 https://www.shelby.com/en-us/Vehicles/GT40-Shelby-Edition or a Superperformance GT40, https://www.superformance.com/factory-models-gt40

Neither one would be as fast or high tech design but would have a lot of cool factor and I'm almost certain just as fun to drive on the roads available here in the US.  

One of my all time favorite cars.  I would have maybe not killed for one only scratch them a bit. :)  Even the new ones would be great.  Alas, gotta' be a millionaire to get one and then there's the wait time.

9 hours ago, lmagna said:

Why not? Isn't California just Western Florida? Far west!

From my end, it would have the California smog equipment if it was street driven.  Even back then the smog stuff bogged things down. I've seen several (including the newer ones) up close and wow....   The local dealer had one back about 5-6 years ago and I took the opportunity to sit in it.   They offered to let me test drive but no.... I don't think my insurance would have covered it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

58 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

They offered to let me test drive but no

I think I would have cried all of the way home. To have been THAT close! You don't have to be a millionaire to own one but if I was to buy a replica version today, that would be the only thing I owned. Now the Ferrari Craig just built, the real one, is millionaire stuff only.

The smog in southern California has been there so long that the locals think it is the natural color of the sky! Really, I went hiking/camping down there for a few days some years ago with some local friends and none of them thought the yellow cast of the sky and stars was out of order!

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

8 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I think I would have cried all of the way home. To have been THAT close! You don't have to be a millionaire to own one but if I was to buy a replica version today, that would be the only thing I owned. Now the Ferrari Craig just built, the real one, is millionaire stuff only.

The smog in southern California has been there so long that the locals think it is the natural color of the sky! Really, I went hiking/camping down there for a few days some years ago with some local friends and none of them thought the yellow cast of the sky and stars was out of order!

I think the price of the one looked at was right around $100,000.  The price of the ones on the Ford website (https://www.ford.com/performance/gt/  and here https://www.ford.com/performance/gt/mkii/?intcmp=vhp-gt-revealcta-gt  don't have a price listed..  I shudder to think what it is now. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nicely done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I guess I made a mistake Mark. I was talking about the 1960s reproductions not the 2016 Ford. While the present car is certainly more powerful and better in probably all ways it just doesn't say Ford GT40 to me. The GT40 will always be the 60 series of cars and the present day recreations. Just old fashioned I suppose. Or is that just old?

Even though I have no interest in owning one, even if I could afford it, this is kind of a sad story as well;

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1102322_abandoned-ferrari-enzo-still-abandoned-in-dubai

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That approaches sacrilege, but whomever owns it will have riches enough not to care, I know if I had one I'd be scared to take it on the road in case I got it dirty 😃

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Lou, you are right of course.  Nothing quite approaches the classic one.

As for the abandoned Enzo.... it's not the only high dollar classic performance car that's been abandoned.  Over the two decades there's been a lot of stories about them.  Some sitting in airport parking lots even.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

34 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

it's not the only high dollar classic performance car that's been abandoned.

So true. There was a guy in France who had almost everything imaginable from the 60s and 70s laying around and turning to dirt. He refused to sell them while he was alive. I think he died last year and somehow someone was able to put a number of them on auction and get them into the hands of someone who might be able to do something with them, One can hope at least.  

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 years later...