HMS Triton Cross Section by Rusty - FINISHED - 1:48

Thanks Rusty for the info.  I have a small sample and after seeing your use of it, I'm thinking this wood could be very useful.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks David. I get all of my wood from Jeff Hayes at Hobby Mill. :)

http://www.hobbymillusa.com/

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I was able to get the fenders made and installed. With the moldings in place that would

require cutting notches into the fenders and getting them to fit the curve of the hull too.

Hmmm seemed a little difficult to me. Then I remembered Chuck (thanks again!) had

us cut the molding away and just slide the fenders in place. Then I just had to sand

them to fit to the hulls contour.

post-43-0-98882200-1373034545_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-06857800-1373034551_thumb.jpg

Fit was good and it took a fraction of the time and no waste, oh ok I messed one up

and threw it in the scrap heap, but to me that is no waste! :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks Paddy, Grant.

Ben, There was so much I learned doing the Confederacy and I still look back at

the practicum every once in a while.

Here I’ve started making the entry step. I first cut the angle for the bottom portion

and then made a second cut forming the tread lip.

post-43-0-27352500-1373200735_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-52467500-1373200739_thumb.jpg

They were then cut to length and the sides trimmed to match using a xacto knife and files.

post-43-0-45764500-1373200744_thumb.jpg

Now I just have to finish making them, 18 total are needed.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Looking great as usual, Rusty. Pretty soon, with all the progress on Triton, you're going to have to turn your attention to your other two projects.

Bob

You're right Bob. With less available modeling time during the summer

I've been giving the Triton the majority of that time. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Rob all I can say is :wacko:  :blush:  :blink:  :o . Typing was never one of my strong points.

I went back and hopefully made all the corrections. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Well all of the steps have been made and attached to the hull. The back of

each step had to be sanded to fit so the tread was level. I did them one at a time

so I didn’t mix them up. To keep the steps in an even row I clipped a ruler

to the hull and used it as a stop.

post-43-0-15361500-1373420622_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-60994000-1373420626_thumb.jpg

Then while I was working on the Triton the Admiral called to me and wanted

me topside. Being the good mate I jumped to, set the cross section down and

went to see what was up. Upon returning to the shop I looked at my work bench,

and mind you I have a mastiff that can put her head on my desk with all four feet

on the ground and regularly does, and almost had heart failure…………...

:omg: 

post-43-0-96999900-1373420981_thumb.jpg

I tipped toed over, gently picked her up and placed her squarely back away

from the edge. Needless to say I didn’t do anything more that night. I figured

I had used up every bit of luck I had and only bad things could happen! :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

The steps look great. You did a wonderful job making and installing them. The stop clipped to the hull is a good idea.

Russ

Very nice Rusty. Good tip with the ruler - thanks for that. And a lucky escape too.......... :)

Edited by gjdale

Thank you all for you kind words. The ruler was what was at hand

but any flexible straight edge will do.

Ok the nerves have settled a bit. I guess I can start working again.

I've wandered back to the gun carriages. I cut them out of Bloodwood.

Just because I had some and wanted a little color variation. :blink: 

post-43-0-52086900-1373544457_thumb.jpg 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Looking good Rusty, I lost all my MSW stuff (downloads etc. that is) after the the big crash + my own sytem had a 'melt-down'.  So now it's back to 'square one' for me.  I'm hoping to make a start on the Englsh Pinnace kit soon, it arrived in the mail a couple of days ago. :)  

All the best,

Rob (UK)

Thanks Paddy

Hi Rob Yes the great crash of 2013 did touch us all. I learned I hadn’t saved as much

of my work as I though I had and having a system melt down to boot would have

been terrible. Well we all just start over where ever we can.

Good luck with the Pinnace. It’s a wonderful kit. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Grant.

They were done individually as I did not have a block big enough. I set the

table saw blade for each cut level and the cut 5 blanks progressing from

lowest cut to highest. The extra one was for an oops moment. :o 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Re the "oops moment", this project has taught me to always make several more of everything that is required. The times I didn't, meant having to set up heights and jigs etc., all over again. It's a valuable lesson. Good to see you're on top of it.

Regards,

Grant.

Hi Grant, Oh I've had so many oops moments and there wasn't always an extra piece made. :huh: 

Well I've assembled the carriages and painted the barrels.

Sorry Ben but I stopped at ten coats of paint. :o

post-43-0-96871400-1373887028_thumb.jpg

Next it’s time to do some iron work and soldering!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

The guns look terrific with that bloodwood, Rusty.  Don't let 'he of the 20 coats' give you any grief.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Thanks Augie, Ben and Bob.

Hey if you add the two together I came up with 20 coats! :D

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)