McLaren M8B - Accurate Miniatures - 1:24 Scale

CDW

Here's what the aftermarket tire sidewall decal looks like in place. As is true with most all aftermarket decal sheets, each and every decal on the sheet must be carefully cut out individually as they are not "die cut" on the sheet. Three more to go.

IMG_1959.thumb.jpg.14a9c0cf8436bc092746ef96bc30b973.jpg

The kit comes with molded plastic racing harness buckles as well as material for the belts. I made my own belts in the color I wanted and used only the supplied buckles.

IMG_1962.thumb.jpg.f3923737af0a437400529f7f9f6960fd.jpgIMG_1961.thumb.jpg.be9f148e4788e47ad7aa3cb5051f4fa4.jpg

My kit version is for the 1970 edition McLaren. However, the kit contains parts to backdate this version to the 1969 version which had a high wing rather than the shorter wing struts seen in the previous photos on my last post.

With Imagna's help, I learned my kit instructions showed the installation of parts that interfered with the optional installation of the high wing struts found in the 1969 team McLaren version which I want to model. 

Pictured are my kit instructions and then the photos of my kit with the correct long struts installed for the high wing. Note that I needed to make my own bracing rods that run from the roll bar to the long wing struts. My kit did not include bracing rods long enough for the high wing struts, but it's no big deal to make a longer pair of rods from styrene rod stock in the correct diameter.

IMG_1973.thumb.jpg.be824dd29049755cc635e49630f58536.jpgIMG_1974.thumb.jpg.064325d12cd98e53cde37d9b9491d700.jpgIMG_1975.thumb.jpg.302deccf5a4b67e996870b8eb4f55998.jpgIMG_1984.thumb.jpg.997bd8f4789a23e0ac282dc659b267c9.jpgIMG_1985.thumb.jpg.197a83824674c9d5b6709d08cd0d574d.jpgIMG_1986.thumb.jpg.a5dfe0de0b3433ab4834d69c55f65d56.jpg

If you decide to build the high wing 1969 version like I did, leave out part numbers C53, C56, and C57, and attach the longer set of struts directly on top of the rear axle hubs.

Now it looks like the 1969 team car Craig.

It's surprising that they supply the proper struts so you can still build the older car but not the parts or instructions from the original kit so that you can make the choice. Too bad you didn't have some tiny brass tubing and rod laying about. That would have made quick easy work of the retrofit.   

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Craig, that looks really awesome!  I have to say, I have been a little partial to the orange color as well as the high wing.  Hope you don't mind if I end up going that route on mine as well.  

Those blue line tire decals look awesome.  Did you get the 1/24 version?  You mentioned that they looked a little big, but they seem quite nice.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Just now, Landlubber Mike said:

Craig, that looks really awesome!  I have to say, I have been a little partial to the orange color as well as the high wing.  Hope you don't mind if I end up going that route on mine as well.  

Those blue line tire decals look awesome.  Did you get the 1/24 version?  You mentioned that they looked a little big, but they seem quite nice.

Yes, the decals are 1:24, but the tire sidewall decals are WAY too big. You'll have to cut them to reduce the radius of the circle. A good decal solvent like Solvaset will make them lay down just fine, because after you cut the circle and reduce the radius, it will leave the decal a little "puckered".

No problem at all on the color/version you choose. Do anything you like.

Even if you choose to build one of the 1969 team cars Mike, You can still choose either Bruce's #4 car or the spare car, (Which is also the 1970 car you have after it was sold to Lothar Motschenbacher). The 1970 #11 Motschenbacher car was the 1969 #1 and #3 spare team car. It was driven as #1 by Dan Gurney at Michigan and #3 by Chris Amon at Laguna Seca it was also driven in four other races by Denny Hulme and once by Bruce McLaren.

With some slight body work, you could also build the 1970 M8D team cars and have an entirely different looking car but still on the McLaren orange. Unfortunately this is the same car that Bruce was killed in while testing for the 1970 season. 

image.jpeg.1f0f6ac1f6a492122c47daae58c7048b.jpegimage.jpeg.410e176b3648af5c315aad89eb5bf287.jpeg

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

coming along very nicely since I last looked in :)   again....your paint work is amazing!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looks like a jungle back there. My backyard trees are all evergreen and the smallest is at least 60 feet tall and the tallest over 120 feet. That little trimmer and ladder would not be of much use!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

There's a row of trees and vegetation that grows along the back fence line between me and my commercial property neighbor. I've got bamboo back there that rivals anything you ever saw in Vietnam. What you see is as high as this climber is going to climb and the wife says I have no business doing that, even.

Women...what do they know? 😄

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Women...what do they know? 😄

They know enough to rule the roost with an iron fist!:blink:

I climbed up on roofs and stuff like that as recently as a couple of years ago but I suspect that anything over one story would be possible suicide these days unless I made some special precautions.

Bamboo is the one plant I do not have in my yard. A couple of houses ago the neighbor had Bamboo and it was all I could do to keep it at bay each year! That stuff makes Blackberry easy to deal with. It's too bad it is so hard to handle. I would have loved to plant it between my house and my neighbor to the south. Our dining room windows look directly at his half renovated wreck of a house, or would if I had not planted tall Arborvitae along the property line several years ago. Bamboo would have been perfect and by now would be three stories tall. The Arborvitae is only 15-18 feet right now.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 hours ago, CDW said:

It is weird how bamboo sheds it’s bark like a lizard sheds it’s skin.

That is how it grows so quickly.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

looks like an international orange........I have some  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch