McLaren M8B - Accurate Miniatures - 1:24 Scale

CDW

After doing some research, I learned about using a food dehydrator to help reduce the drying time of painted model parts...drastically reduce the time.

As I am sure most of you know, various paints can take quite a long time to dry, certain enamels taking two weeks or more to cure. Acrylics can take quite a while. Well, the food dehydrator can cut that complete cure time on enamels from 2 weeks to over night. Acrylics down from a full day or more to 3 hours, fully cured. 

The dehydrator I bought is a 9 shelf unit with a front opening sliding door, from Amazon. The shelves are removable so you have plenty of space for parts. It has a thermostat control for heat as well as a timer. As pictured, I have some acrylic painted parts drying now that I set on 105 degrees F. With this unit, I will return to using enamels from time to time. I avoided them in the past because of the extreme drying times.

By the way, the painted parts now in the dehydrator are for the McLaren. 🙂

IMG_1927.thumb.jpg.e599edc7122048e42c3c2b7352f614ef.jpgIMG_1928.thumb.jpg.d03d5255c622c5880a2579d1db3a1e72.jpg

What a great idea  - is it a  similar theory to what I do by using a hairdryer?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

28 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

What a great idea  - is it a  similar theory to what I do by using a hairdryer?

OC.

Yes! But hands-free and much better controlled temperature and air all around the parts. It's like a miniature convection oven, low temperature and will not harm plastic unless you set the temperature too high. 

4 minutes ago, CDW said:

Yes! But hands-free and much better controlled temperature and air all around the parts. It's like a miniature convection oven, low temperature and will not harm plastic unless you set the temperature too high. 

Sounds like you have fallen on something  really useful there mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

6 hours ago, CDW said:

I should note, this unit is particularly well suited for model cars and other similar sized models, but large ship hulls would not fit inside, obviously.

It's a nice unit, but I though everyone knew about what low humidity does to paint....

Anyway, it should fit all the detail pieces for a ship model, that where it is really needed....

Nice find....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

For acrylic paints, how long will you stick them in the dehydrator?  I usually only have very small blocks of time to model, so if I paint one night, it's not usually until the next night that I will get to it so personally I haven't had a reason to use one, but I could see if I ever started with enamels.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Just now, Landlubber Mike said:

For acrylic paints, how long will you stick them in the dehydrator?  I usually only have very small blocks of time to model, so if I paint one night, it's not usually until the next night that I will get to it so personally I haven't had a reason to use one, but I could see if I ever started with enamels.

I'll have to do some more experimenting to give you a definitive answer to that question. I have read others say three hours thoroughly cures acrylics but I have to believe it will depend somewhat on what you have used to reduce the paint. I like to use lacquer thinner with Tamiya paint and that's going to behave a whole lot different than an acrylic thinned with a water based thinner.

It's been a fun kit to build so far. There are a few fit issues where it seems the engineers maybe didn't thoroughly vet the prototype construction and make adjustments before production, but nothing that is too glaring.

The instructions actually warn the builder that there are a few areas where certain parts you might want to leave out of the construction sequence for ease of assembly. Particularly the area of the engine compartment where the headers take up a lot of space. Just to see how bad it was, I opted to attempt it all but had to abort a couple of small things. An onlooker would never spot it most likely, but it's there (or not there as the case may be). 

I saw this in my news feed this morning.... for those of you interested in all things McLaren......

https://autos.yahoo.com/bizarre-v-6-mclarens-newest-150000873.html

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looks like you are finally getting a little break from silver and black! :D Looking super! 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Another favorite past time of mine involves my family heritage, collecting and digitizing old family photos and so forth. Recently I came across a program that animates photos and I've been running so old family photos through that program then sharing them with my family.

These are before and after photos of my great-great grandmother that give a good idea of what this program can do. My g-g grandmother was born in 1838 and the original photo was taken somewhere around 1857 or 1858 as she was pregnant with my great grandfather. The way the program enhances the photo is rather stunning I think.

1975686937_RebeccaDuncanCaruthers.jpg.d571e93da69acf1f4b2519a77a805b5c.jpg1884660921_RebeccaDuncanCaruthers-0-Enhanced-Colorized.jpg.92c00f8440af400aabde210b05c8e033.jpg

10 minutes ago, CDW said:

Is it McLaren Orange?

:) The question of the year. Possibly the most debated color in not only modeling but for the real cars as well. No one seems to have a definitive answer of just what is the proper color for  McLaren Orange! The big problem is that the closer you get to the real color it reacts just like the real color did, and seems to change as the lighting does. 

Your color choice under the lighting you took these pictures looks dead on Craig. Not too light and orange, and not too red. At least on my computer. Congratulations.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

11 minutes ago, CDW said:

The way the program enhances the photo is rather stunning I think.

Quite a stunning difference.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That orange looks fantastic Craig, nice job!  Did you find you had to undercoat with any particular color?  I ended up picking up some Tamiya pink primer because I read that it really makes reds pop.

That photo and program is so cool.  I don't have family pictures that go that far back, but do have some from the b&W days.  Will need to look into this.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike

I painted the orange directly over the white plastic of the kit without any primer. However, the undersides of the body panels must be painted flat black. In my kit, the white plastic is rather translucent and I am concerned the flat black will alter the shade of the orange to a darker color. Because of this, I will first paint the underside with a white primer, then paint flat black on top of the white primer. This should cancel out the negative effects the black might cause to the orange. A coat of white primer before the orange would be beneficial as you could skip the concerns about the black undersides.

With the front body assembly and doors attached to the chassis, the next steps will be to mask off and paint orange the area of the silver chassis below the doors. The rear body assembly will be left off to display the engine, transaxle, and rear suspension. 

It's important to note that if you wish to attach the rear body assembly to the chassis for display, you must leave off most of the engine plumbing as the body assembly will not fit with all the plumbing attached.

IMG_1942.thumb.jpg.0f6c388af2120790deee072e5d3787b6.jpgIMG_1943.thumb.jpg.6922a19418a7474201179ed3d6e07fa1.jpgIMG_1944.thumb.jpg.ee0cae981dc11cfab407b7cfd20411bd.jpgIMG_1945.thumb.jpg.3e5aee81d0f1095688a8a76e3a0a6feb.jpgIMG_1946.thumb.jpg.0ca6ba8fc35abebf79e9849988985f7b.jpgIMG_1947.thumb.jpg.276c00aa36364b340ec693c2af40da54.jpg

Looking great  mate.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

I can't get over how perfect a match that orange is for the McLaren team color. I was pretty certain that the rear body was not going to fit. But with all that work on the engine who would want to cover it up anyway?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Superb work mate - looking every inch the racer.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

I was pretty certain that the rear body was not going to fit. But with all that work on the engine who would want to cover it up anyway?

If I had left the center panel out, it might have fit. Too much going on around the engine for the center panel to fit. Will probably fabricate a little scaffold for the rear assembly to rest upon off the ground.

I have seen pictures somewhere that show the rear body panel just sitting on the ground behind the car while it was having something done to it.

Great work Craig it is looking good sitting on tires at last, hope the decals work out.

Did you paint the lower body orange over the aluminum monocoque chassis or did you do a white or black primer undercoat?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 3/28/2021 at 8:26 PM, CDW said:

It's important to note that if you wish to attach the rear body assembly to the chassis for display, you must leave off most of the engine plumbing as the body assembly will not fit with all the plumbing attached.

Craig, I saw one done where the modeler used the center engine cover as a mold to make a replacement out of paper and white glue.....

He had to relieve the rear body section a bit but once sealed and painted the center cover fit like a champ.....

The plastic parts are just too thick......

Beautiful paintwork though....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Just now, lmagna said:

Did you paint the lower body orange over the aluminum monocoque chassis or did you do a white or black primer undercoat?

I painted over the aluminum but I should have put down white primer first, just to keep a consistent shade of orange. It's a tad off, darker, but nothing that worries me over it.